Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Apr 2010 (Sunday) 17:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5d mark ii vs 7d

DANATTHEROCK
Goldmember
1,264 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 15, 2010 16:48 |  #61

promocop wrote in post #9975901 (external link)
No contest. Full frame sensor vs not. Period

For my needs, landscape, that was my final conclussion as well.

FYI

5D Mark II can be bought brand new for $2161!!

Bought it on Ebay from Cameta Cameras which is a Canon authorized dealer.

This seemed like a good thread to mention this in.

Got one yesterday myself. List price $2349 with $188 off for using Bing cashback, free shipping, equals $2161. Bing cashback took about 3 minutes to do. Idiot proof, although I had never heard of it. Basically, you just find the item you want using their search engine, buy the item as a "Buy it now" on Ebay, pay with Paypal, and they give you 8% off your purchase. Hence, $188 back in my Paypal account. Sweet. More info in the links below. Bing is Microsoft's search engine for anyone that is skeptical (as was I).

Brand new in factory sealed box, not gray market, not refurb, etc..

Checked them out on resellerratings.com and spoke with half dozen folks here that have shopped there. Just thought I would pass it on...

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=857872

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=832154

Canon 5D Mark II & 50D with 17-40, 24-105, 100-400, 50 f/1.4, 100 f/2.8 macro, and 1.4TC

FEISOL CT-3442 (ARL) tripod w/ Photo Clam 40-NS ballhead:lol:

sponsored links
Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,993 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 15, 2010 17:09 |  #62

DANATTHEROCK wrote in post #10002346 (external link)
For my needs, landscape, that was my final conclussion as well.

FYI

5D Mark II can be bought brand new for $2161!!

Bought it on Ebay from Cameta Cameras which is a Canon authorized dealer.

can't locate that seller

BAG Reviews, master list!
Canon shooter

DANATTHEROCK
Goldmember
1,264 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 15, 2010 17:16 as a reply to  @ Dj R's post |  #63

Go to Ebay and "search stores" enter Cameta Camera and they will show up. You can then search items in their store, get item number. That is what I did, then did the Bing cashback thing, used bing as search engine after setting up cashback account (give them my email, address,etc..), once getting to that point, using the item number made it easy to find the camera I wanted. Read over the links in the other thread I posted. All the details are there. This is 100% legit man. I was skeptical myself until I heard from others here that had done the same thing. Saved me $400:)

Dan

Canon 5D Mark II & 50D with 17-40, 24-105, 100-400, 50 f/1.4, 100 f/2.8 macro, and 1.4TC

DANATTHEROCK
Goldmember
1,264 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 15, 2010 17:31 as a reply to  @ DANATTHEROCK's post |  #64

Alternatively, you can go to Ebay, get to the camera section, select Canon in the filter to the left, then at the bottom enter the price range $2348-2350. That is a way to find the buy it now listing as well since the buy it now price is $2349. Then using the Bing search engine and cashback account as described in my other post, you get $188 taken off (8%), so total is $2161.

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,993 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 15, 2010 23:30 |  #65

I'm really torn. I've played with both cameras now. Sounds crazy but not having a stupid pop up flash (which I never use) on the 5d2 sucks. even though I don't use a pop up flash, the AF beam assist is a nice feature.... so the low-light autofocus capabilities of the 5DII is a major disappointment for an otherwise almost perfect body. I do have a speedlight, but I was hoping I would need it LESS with the 5d2, not MORE.

The 7D is sick fast. Great AF. $700 less? Has a pop up flash for fill and af beam assist.

But ahhhh, I'lll prolly regret getting a 7D b/c the IQ from the 5d2 is superior!

This is the suckage.

I may roll the dice@#!

I love shooting parties with an ultra wide. I love shooting hockey from the first row. I love portraits. I have a 2 yr old niece who loves the camera. And my dog. I'm ALL over the place!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

Canon shooter

denoir
Goldmember
1,152 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 16, 2010 06:38 as a reply to  @ Dj R's post |  #66

Both cameras complement each other very well. Having said that, my heart is still more with the 7D. It's simply a better, more modern camera - even if the sensor of the 5DII is better.

Having said that, when conditions are such that the 5DII has no performance problems, no need of AF or fast FPS, I will pick a 5DII image any day over a 7D image. The differences in image style are subtle but there is something special about FF - the colors and micro contrast is simply a notch better. But potential IQ is not worth much if you can't take the picture and the 7D has a massive lead there in better AF, better metring and high FPS.

And I'd say most of the time the IQ is nearly indistinguishable - if you use good glass. Which brings me to another point. You will only get performance similar to the 5DII if you use very high quality lenses. The 7D produces much worse images with cheap glass than the 5DII does. It's something to consider if you are on a budget. Even if the 5DII may be more expensive, you can get away with using cheaper glass.

It's not an easy choice and my solution is to have both. I use the 5DII for landscapes and photography and anything else that doesn't move too fast or require strong tele. For anything that moves or is far away I use the 7D.

If I had to choose between them, I'd probably keep the 7D. The thing is that you can do great portraits and landscapes with the 7D - not as good as the 5DII but still very good. There is a difference, but it isn't big. When it comes to using 5DII for fast moving subjects - forget it. Yes it can be done, but its performance is laughable compared to the 7D's.

Seagull, 5DII, the easiest type of linear tracking where the subject doesn't change the distance much relative the camera. 9/10 pictures you get with fast moving subjects will be like this:

IMAGE: http://peltarion.eu/img/seagull/seagull-5DII-1.jpg

7D with much more difficult tracking situations. 99/100 images will be tack sharp and that's at twice the frame rate:
IMAGE: http://peltarion.eu/img/seagull/sg-1.jpg
IMAGE: http://peltarion.eu/img/seagull/sg-2.jpg

In the images above the 70-200/II lens was used.

Luka C.D| My photos (external link) | My videos (external link) | My Cameras & Lenses

JC4
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 16, 2010 07:43 as a reply to  @ denoir's post |  #67

I agree with denoir about the 5d's AF. After over a year, I'm still disappointed, mostly in low light and AI-servo. The low-light part ticks me off the most. The outer points are unusable for indoor event shooting, and the center point is no champ especially without attaching a speedlite for AF assist. The center-point is very accurate, just slow to acquire. Paired with my 85L in low-light its totally inconsistent(others have posted this problem). The AF is OK, nearly as good as the 40d it replaced, but when AF matters I always grab my 1d-III.(no experience with a 7d). You can get the shot with the 5d, and its worth it when do, but it takes more work than it did with my 40d.

It was time to replace my 1d-III. I'd really like to have 2 of the same body to make event shooting easier, but could NOT bring myself to buy a second 5d-II. I love the IQ, but the AF really bugs me. I considered the 7d, but couldn't go all the way back to 1.6x. 1d-IV on the way. :) Point being, IMHO, since you're use to a crop body, I think you'd love the 7d. Use the extra $1k for glass. A friend who just upgraded is blown away by the IQ improvement over her XTi+50d, let alone all the other goodness the 7d brings. You won't miss the FF, so I don't think you'd have regrets, but that's your call.

John Caputo

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 16, 2010 08:01 |  #68

I shoot concerts and events with a 5DII, and, prior with a 5D. I am in AI Servo and use the outer points often. Hell I even use a Tamron 28-75 sometimes ;-)a

Not to say the outer points are idiotproof but when I read stuff like this I wonder if my camera(s) are "special".

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

JC4
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 16, 2010 08:08 as a reply to  @ bohdank's post |  #69

Or maybe I'm just spoiled with the 1 series, and unwilling to accept a camera released 2 years later being worse. :)

In concerts, just guessing, no experience, I imagine there is a spot on the subject, so they are lit better than whats behind them? Even if its dim, they are better lit, right? Perhaps that helps, vs a party hall where everything is lit even and people are in mon-colored suits/dresses... Also, aren't your subjects fairly static relative to your position? You aren't shooting from one end of the room to the other regularly, right? Again, just guessing, but I think its a different scenario. All I know is, shooting parties, ISO 3200,f/2, 1/100th, the 5d is weak at acquiring AF, especially compared to a 1 series, and not quite as good as a 40d. Outer points are so bad and slow as to not be usable on moving subjects.

edit: Scratch, that, you said events too(missed it in my first read). Maybe its you thats special. :) I'm not all that experienced, and better gear, does help me a LOT. :)

John Caputo

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,993 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 16, 2010 09:22 |  #70

denoir wrote in post #10005535 (external link)
Both cameras complement each other very well. Having said that, my heart is still more with the 7D. It's simply a better, more modern camera - even if the sensor of the 5DII is better.

Having said that, when conditions are such that the 5DII has no performance problems, no need of AF or fast FPS, I will pick a 5DII image any day over a 7D image. The differences in image style are subtle but there is something special about FF - the colors and micro contrast is simply a notch better. But potential IQ is not worth much if you can't take the picture and the 7D has a massive lead there in better AF, better metring and high FPS.

And I'd say most of the time the IQ is nearly indistinguishable - if you use good glass. Which brings me to another point. You will only get performance similar to the 5DII if you use very high quality lenses. The 7D produces much worse images with cheap glass than the 5DII does. It's something to consider if you are on a budget. Even if the 5DII may be more expensive, you can get away with using cheaper glass.

It's not an easy choice and my solution is to have both. I use the 5DII for landscapes and photography and anything else that doesn't move too fast or require strong tele. For anything that moves or is far away I use the 7D.

If I had to choose between them, I'd probably keep the 7D. The thing is that you can do great portraits and landscapes with the 7D - not as good as the 5DII but still very good. There is a difference, but it isn't big. When it comes to using 5DII for fast moving subjects - forget it. Yes it can be done, but its performance is laughable compared to the 7D's.

Seagull, 5DII, the easiest type of linear tracking where the subject doesn't change the distance much relative the camera. 9/10 pictures you get with fast moving subjects will be like this:

7D with much more difficult tracking situations. 99/100 images will be tack sharp and that's at twice the frame rate:

very good post. kudos.

with regard to good glass on a 7d. so with the kit lens the IQ will suffer on the 7D... I would purchase the body only. And use my 17-55 2.8 and the 85mm 1.8. And prolly upgrade my 50mm 1.8 for the 1.4 eventually. Think I can reach the better side of the IQ capability with the 7d?

Canon shooter

denoir
Goldmember
1,152 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 16, 2010 09:43 |  #71

Dj R wrote in post #10006143 (external link)
very good post. kudos.

with regard to good glass on a 7d. so with the kit lens the IQ will suffer on the 7D... I would purchase the body only. And use my 17-55 2.8 and the 85mm 1.8. And prolly upgrade my 50mm 1.8 for the 1.4 eventually. Think I can reach the better side of the IQ capability with the 7d?

Yes, I think you could. I would not recommend the 18-135 kit lens though - you are better off with your existing glass.

Luka C.D| My photos (external link) | My videos (external link) | My Cameras & Lenses

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,993 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 16, 2010 09:48 |  #72

denoir wrote in post #10006252 (external link)
Yes, I think you could. I would not recommend the 18-135 kit lens though - you are better off with your existing glass.

THX AGAIN. you have some nice glass. are you keeping the 5d2? looks like you have both at the time. With all that L glass, I guess you'll always have a ff?

Canon shooter

denoir
Goldmember
1,152 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 16, 2010 10:00 |  #73

bohdank wrote in post #10005771 (external link)
Not to say the outer points are idiotproof but when I read stuff like this I wonder if my camera(s) are "special".

Probably not - it's the level of performance one gets used to expect. Before my current set up I had a 1DsIII - which I did not like for various reasons but its responsiveness and AF was magnificent. Compared to it the 7D felt sluggish and the AF system just so-so. My initial reaction to the 5DII was to think it was a bad joke on the part of Canon. I experienced the 5DII to be slower than my old 350D. Then I dug up the 350D from storage and realized that the 5DII AF, FPS and everything else was light years ahead of the 350D. The 1DsIII had completely skewed my objectivity.

Since then I've adjusted to the 7D as the high performance camera and I find the 5DII performance to be if not good then at least tolerable. Had I not remembered my first tests and experiences I would have sworn now that the 7D was just as responsive and had at least as good AF as the 1DsMkIII. (An objective fact though is that the 7D 8 fps runs circles around the 1DsIII 5 fps.)

So basically when you start using a faster and more responsive camera, you get used to it and compare all other cameras to it. It becomes easily a relative scale instead of an absolute. Of course you can shoot wildlife with the 5D - you can do that with a 300D and get great pictures. However, after you've experienced a 7D firing at 8fps at fast moving subjects with every shot tack sharp it is very difficult to even consider using a camera that shoots at 4 fps and where the majority of the shots will be out of focus because of the slow AF system. You'll still get a few good ones with the 5DII after taking enough shots but with the 7D nearly each shot will be technically perfect.

There is a certain downside to it, and it may seem silly but it is a reality you'll encounter. At 8 fps you take a lot of pictures in a short time span. When all the shots are technically in order it takes a long time to pick which ones to keep. You get huge amounts of near identical pictures and you'll waste a lot of time deciding on which ones to keep or how to rate them.

denoir
Goldmember
1,152 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 16, 2010 10:02 |  #74

Dj R wrote in post #10006277 (external link)
THX AGAIN. you have some nice glass. are you keeping the 5d2? looks like you have both at the time. With all that L glass, I guess you'll always have a ff?

Yep. I think the cameras work very well together. A typical configuration is to have the 16-35 on the 5DII and the 70-200 on the 7D. Generally speaking I use the 5DII for portraits, landscapes and generally for stuff that doesn't move too much. The 7D for the rest. Having two sensor sizes allows me to use my lenses in two different ways.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,256 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 16, 2010 10:03 |  #75

MGiddings Photography wrote in post #9975555 (external link)
Low light 5D Mk ii -------- Sports 7D

Ditto... I use both.

But to expand a little:

5D2 - very low light, portraits, architecture, landscapes, studio work, wide shots, stitched panoramas, tilt-shift lenses, maybe even macro. Any slower paced shooting situation where max resolution, lots of enlargement, loads of fine detail are needed. More ideal for wide lenses.

7D - low light, faster handling camera for fast moving situations (AF speed and tracking moving subjects, primarily), sports, news, any action situation. More ideal for tele lenses.

These two cameras compliment each other pretty well in some respects. They share batteries. Their controls are in the same places (the 7D just has a few additional controls).

I'd never call one better than the other. They are designed to serve different purposes.

And, when it comes to actually using the cameras out in the real world, the 5D2 and 50D have more similar AF layout and controls, menus and such (but have somewhat irritatingly different button layouts).

Incidentally, your EF-S lenses won't fit on a 5D2... But the Tokina 12-24 will. And it will work to about 18 or 19mm without significant vignetting (don't even try it any wider, though... I don't know if the lens' rear element might interfere with the camera's mirror). A wide prime, like the 20/2.8 I use, is better corrected than the for WA effects such as barrel distortion, but it's nice to be able to use the 12-24 "in a pinch".

If you shoot very much action - be it BIF or sports or whatever - the 5D2's slow to acquire and reluctant to track AF will leave you wanting more.

If you are short on budget, but still want to combine formats... the 50D is a very good substitute for 7D. Having used a pair of 7D since November and with around 12,000 clicks on them, I have to say that unless you really need some of the other features unique to the 7D (video, for example) the 50D can handle it. 7D is good for about one more stop of high ISO usability. But I got much more consistent focus accuracy with 50D (I'm still experimenting with all the different 7D focus controls, trying to find a setup that works well for me). There's not a lot of difference between 6fps and 8fps. Either one fills up memory cards and hard disks in a hurry, when combined with a 15MP or 18MP camera. Spot metering on 7D (and 5D2) is a lot finer than on other current EOS model. 7D's viewfinder is the most usable one I've seen on an APS-C camera to date. 7D's "hair trigger" shutter release is more like those on 1-series cameras and takes a little getting used to, compared with either 5D2 or 50D.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

sponsored links

18,103 views & 0 likes for this thread
5d mark ii vs 7d
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.