Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 11 Apr 2010 (Sunday) 19:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

iMac Question

scpictaker
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 11, 2010 19:56 |  #1

Can I run CS4 for windows on a new iMac. I guess you can run Vista on it and I heard it runs smoother than on a PC? Anybody do this?

My Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D MKIII l 7D MKII l 24-105L l 16-35 L II l Sigma 50 1.4 ART l 70-200 2.8 L II l 24-70L l EOS M l 2X III l Rok 14mm

sponsored links
328iGuy
Goldmember
3,617 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Apr 12, 2010 07:56 |  #2

You can if you install a VM software such as Parallels or VMWare Fusion and run it inside a Windows VM, but not natively on Mac OSX though.

Why would you buy a MAC for doing post processing and then run it inside a Windows VM? :confused:

EOS R5 | EOS R6 | EF 8-15L | RF 15-35L 2.8 | RF 24-70L 2.8 | RF 85L 1.2 | RF 70-200L 2.8 | RF 100-500L

scpictaker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 12, 2010 20:22 |  #3

The guy at apple said I wouldnt need to buy a Mac version of CS4, just run it inside. I'm new to MAC so just checking.

My Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D MKIII l 7D MKII l 24-105L l 16-35 L II l Sigma 50 1.4 ART l 70-200 2.8 L II l 24-70L l EOS M l 2X III l Rok 14mm

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 12, 2010 20:37 |  #4

scpictaker wrote in post #9983052 (external link)
The guy at apple said I wouldnt need to buy a Mac version of CS4, just run it inside. I'm new to MAC so just checking.

You will need to install bootcamp with windows for that to work best. Virtualization works, but you lose at least 10% performance. Doesn't seem like much, but if you edit 200 photos at 3 min/photo, that could possibly add up to an extra hour.

scpictaker wrote in post #9976202 (external link)
Can I run CS4 for windows on a new iMac. I guess you can run Vista on it and I heard it runs smoother than on a PC? Anybody do this?

You can run vista (suggest windows 7 instead) in bootcamp. But it won't be as fast. Apple drivers for windows are notoriously bad, sometimes buggy enough to cause crashes, though usually it's just a performance hit. It's almost as if Apple wanted people to think Windows is worse.

But don't expect any third party programs, including CS4, to be faster on OSX. In fact, windows can be up to 20% faster than osx for photoshop filters, on the same hardware (i.e. two systems, 27" i7 and a desktop i7 860, same amount of ram, 4850 graphics card, 7200rpm disk, etc). Macs are just plain slower, unless you run apple software.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

dche5390
714 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 12, 2010 20:46 |  #5

An alternative is to contact Adobe with your existing serial (Windows), and request an swap for the Mac version.

I think I like the framed window UI of the Windows version of all Adobe suits. Similarly, I still can't get my head around how Office for Mac looks like either.

For best performance, you'll need to bootcamp. That way, you can use 100% of your hardware, instead of sharing it between OS X and Windows via a VM.

angusporter.com (external link)

Right ­ Cranium ­ Imaging
416 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 12, 2010 22:54 |  #6

basroil wrote in post #9983159 (external link)
But don't expect any third party programs, including CS4, to be faster on OSX. In fact, windows can be up to 20% faster than osx for photoshop filters, on the same hardware (i.e. two systems, 27" i7 and a desktop i7 860, same amount of ram, 4850 graphics card, 7200rpm disk, etc). Macs are just plain slower, unless you run apple software.

it has nothing to do with Apple vs PC as far as the hardware goes. The Mac version of CS4 is still only 32bit. The PC version is 64. That's where your difference is. To say Macs are just slower unless you run Apple software is just ignorant. CS5 for Mac is 64bit.

(Insert Over Used Photography Quote Here)
Canon Equipment - Mac Computers

Right ­ Cranium ­ Imaging
416 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 13, 2010 02:21 |  #7

basroil wrote in post #9983159 (external link)

it has nothing to do with Apple vs PC as far as the hardware goes. The Mac version of CS4 is still only 32bit. The PC version is 64. That's where your difference is. To say Macs are just slower unless you run Apple software is just ignorant. CS5 for Mac is 64bit.

(Insert Over Used Photography Quote Here)
Canon Equipment - Mac Computers

sponsored links

1,271 views & 0 likes for this thread
iMac Question
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.