Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 14 Apr 2010 (Wednesday) 03:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sensor and Dust cleaning - my experience

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 14, 2010 03:05 |  #1

All my issues with dust on the sensor and in the viewfinder have come about from using a blower to try and blow the dust away. Dust particles on the focusing screen,were actually forced deeper into the pentaprism, rather than helping, the blower moved the dust onto the super impose screen (above the 5dm2 focusing screen).

To remove this dust (I know it doens't effect the images, but it is just annoying in the viewfinder) I had to follow the procedures outlined by Shimworld to remove the dust from the SI screen.

http://shimworld.wordp​ress.com …-the-5d-mk-ii-viewfinder/ (external link)

What I found to be of great use was the Arctic Butterfly, I've swept my sensor, mirror, focusing screen, Super Impose screen very lightly without any detrimental effects or visible scratches. It managed to remove all the dust particles from all the important viewing surfaces in the mirror box.

It pays to have the different brushes for the Arctic Butterfly, the angled head on the mirror brush allows you to get into the tight angles which is perfect for the mirror, focusing screen and the SI screen. Using different brushes prevents you from contaminating the sensor, as this has one exclusive brush. Also if you get other brushes don't forget the required adaptor to fit them to the Arctic Butterfly.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i81.photobucket​.com …6/lannes2007/IM​G_9389.jpg (external link)

The brush actually picks up a lot of the dust and is better than blowing, it appears the static charge attracts the dust and allows you to remove it.It's easy to clean the brushes by spinning them and if you need to wash them you can use 100% isopropyl alcohol.

When it comes to the sensor, a sensor loupe is invaluable to spot the dust particles and the Arctic Butterfly removes 99% of the particles on the sensor.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i81.photobucket​.com …lannes2007/IMG_​9384-1.jpg (external link)

For wet cleaning to remove welded dust I can only recommend Visible Dust sensor clean solution and their differently sized Ultra MXD swabs. (get the right one for your sensor size). The trick is to only take one pass over the sensor, then turn over the swab and go back the other way, that is only a total of 2 passes. I tried Eclipse E2, but the solution did not dry correctly and left streaks all over the sensor. I did not have the same problems with VD Sensor clean and the MXD swabs did not shed fibres, so I can recommend this product set.

With these tools it's easy to remove dust from your sensor and mirror box, without having to send the camera body in for a service etc. Try not to use a blower inside the camera body as this adds more dust to the equation and blows it deeper inside.

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

sponsored links
c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 14, 2010 03:49 |  #2

where did you get that loupe from? i love the fact that you can see the streaks on your sensor.

got a link?

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 14, 2010 03:52 |  #3

nvm, found it http://cgi.ebay.com …ories?hash=item​230689e974 (external link)

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 14, 2010 12:52 |  #4

I use the Arctic Butterfly and yes, it does work. But a simple artists brush kept for the purpose works just as well. It can be static charged by using a can of compressed air on it, and is considerably cheaper.

The Arctic Butterfly is horrendously expensive and way over packaged.

My vote goes firmly for the Lenspen products. Cheap and very effective.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,351 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 14, 2010 14:06 |  #5

Are the swabs you used pre-moistened? I've seen the method where you wrap some papers around a stick but I've been reluctant to do that for fear of contaminating it in the process. I believe I have some lube on my 5D's sensor since it doesn't go anywhere despite repeated cleanings with the Copper Hill sensor sweep.

Nicholas ­ R.
455 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 14, 2010 14:26 |  #6

mike_d wrote in post #9994703 (external link)
Are the swabs you used pre-moistened? I've seen the method where you wrap some papers around a stick but I've been reluctant to do that for fear of contaminating it in the process. I believe I have some lube on my 5D's sensor since it doesn't go anywhere despite repeated cleanings with the Copper Hill sensor sweep.

Mike,
A static brush will have no effect on lubricant, actually, it will pick it up and spread it across the surface. Your brush should be decontaminated as per the instructions and a wet system should be your next step to remove the lubricant from your sensor surface.
Regards,
Nicholas
www.copperhillimages.c​om (external link)

lannes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 15, 2010 01:14 |  #7

mike_d wrote in post #9994703 (external link)

No, the visible dust products come seperate you just add three drops to the sensor swab.
Cleaning off lube may require a different solution, Visible Dust have different solutions for different cleaning purposes.

Nicholas from copperhillimages may be able to recommend something from his range as an alternative, as Visbile dust products are more expensive.

http://www.visibledust​.com/help_wetchart.php (external link)

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

lannes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 15, 2010 01:26 |  #8

Lowner wrote in post #9994211 (external link)
I use the Arctic Butterfly and yes, it does work. But a simple artists brush kept for the purpose works just as well. It can be static charged by using a can of compressed air on it, and is considerably cheaper.

The Arctic Butterfly is horrendously expensive and way over packaged.

My vote goes firmly for the Lenspen products. Cheap and very effective.

For me, compressed air is a bit of a problem if you fly as some airport security won't let you take it, it is difficult to find in other countries. But if you don't fly a lot it is a good alternative, be careful not to spray the sensor brush with the compressed air propellant. I find the Arctic butterfly although more expensive a simpler process.

I like lenspens as well, but I would'nt reuse them over and over as the contaminent potentially remains on the lenspen head, at least with the arctic butterfly there is a chance it might fly off when you spin it.

DANATTHEROCK
Goldmember
1,264 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 15, 2010 01:42 as a reply to  @ lannes's post |  #9

This appears to be the kit pictured in this thread...

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Arctic_Butterfl​y_Pro.html (external link)

Here is the Visible Dust kit for full frame...

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Butterfly_724_S​ensor.html (external link)

And a cheaper kit for full frame...

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_SL_700_Kit.htm​l#features (external link)

And for 1.6x...

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Butterfly_724_S​ensor.html (external link)

Lots of other products too. Just go to B&H website and enter Visible Dust in the search box.

Canon 5D Mark II & 50D with 17-40, 24-105, 100-400, 50 f/1.4, 100 f/2.8 macro, and 1.4TC

FEISOL CT-3442 (ARL) tripod w/ Photo Clam 40-NS ballhead:lol:

lannes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 15, 2010 01:49 |  #10

[QUOTE=DANATTHEROCK;99​98236]This appears to be the kit pictured in this thread...

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Arctic_Butterfl​y_Pro.html (external link)

Thanks for the links Dana, I actually got my brush set and Arctic Butterfly seperately from different sources. It was cheaper than the full kit and I was able to get the 724 Brite model which has the illuminating led.

lannes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 15, 2010 01:56 |  #11

[QUOTE=DANATTHEROCK;99​98236]

Here is the Visible Dust kit for full frame...

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Butterfly_724_S​ensor.html (external link)[QUOTE=DANATTHEROCK;99​98236]

I find the focusing screen and mirror swabs included in this kit a waste of time, as you can use the normal swabs for the same purpose, if you need different angles you can bend the normal swabs easily. What they should have included is the corner swabs for those tight hard to get areas and edges. I use these more as you can just target a spot instead of having to swipe the whole sensor.

DANATTHEROCK
Goldmember
1,264 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 15, 2010 01:57 as a reply to  @ lannes's post |  #12

Yeah, I got the led loupe as well. Like a year ago, never even used it. Had one spec of dust, well... one spot that showed up on my images. I used a blower and got rid of it. So the kit ($250+) has sit on the shelf in my den ever since. But... I will soon need it. Ha ha... Visible Dust has one great product from what I can see. Very high quality feel to it.

Canon 5D Mark II & 50D with 17-40, 24-105, 100-400, 50 f/1.4, 100 f/2.8 macro, and 1.4TC

DANATTHEROCK
Goldmember
1,264 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 15, 2010 01:59 |  #13

Oh, by the way, thanks for the info and pictures on sensor cleaning. It is of help to many, me included. I am still a bit apprehensive about cleaning my sensor. Looks pretty straight forward, but the risk are high.

lannes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 15, 2010 02:14 |  #14

DANATTHEROCK wrote in post #9998288 (external link)
Oh, by the way, thanks for the info and pictures on sensor cleaning. It is of help to many, me included. I am still a bit apprehensive about cleaning my sensor. Looks pretty straight forward, but the risk are high.

Wet cleaning is the most risky, without proper technique and following the instructions "explicitly" you could actually make it worse. The main issue is not to use too little or too much solution, just the right amount. Too much may leave streaks, too little may cause uneven cleaning and depending on pressure used, scratches. Try not to reuse the swabs.

Dry cleaning can also cause a few problems if your brush picks up lubricants in the mirror chamber. It pays to clean the brush head in the 100% ispropyl alcohol, before you use it and reasonably often, and make sure it's dry.

My advise is a very light touch, always swab or brush in one direction, then turn over and go in the other direction. never "scrub". Always spin the butterfly after one pass of the brush.

sponsored links

5,687 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sensor and Dust cleaning - my experience
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.