Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Apr 2010 (Wednesday) 14:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I Might Look Around on Craigslist for a Canon EOS Rebel XT/XTi Body..Any Precautions?

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 15, 2010 12:20 as a reply to  @ post 10000664 |  #16

gonzogolf wrote in post #9999903 (external link)
I'd skip the xt in favor of the xti. It was a big improvement

Disagree! I for one think the XT is better, mostly because I just love having the monochrome LCD screen (even if it is on the back...).

I wouldn't shop for an expensive digital camera on craigslist...but if you do, bring along a laptop and a CF card so you can check the pictures to make sure you don't see anything wrong (scratches on the sensor's filter, lines indicative of a failing shutter, etc.) and so that you can check to see that it shoots, autofocuses, etc.

Basically make the camera run through everything you would be using it for. If there's anything odd about it, then don't buy it.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,196 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 15, 2010 14:02 |  #17

TheBurningCrown wrote in post #10000698 (external link)
Disagree! I for one think the XT is better, mostly because I just love having the monochrome LCD screen (even if it is on the back...).

Yeah I get your point, who wants better images when they can have the extra lcd screen on the back :)

SnoopKatt
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 15, 2010 14:55 |  #18

LaaG wrote in post #10000664 (external link)
The 350d / XT is my fist DSLR. After reading up on it before I found one 2nd hand, and been owning one for a couple of months now, here are some things to check:

1) The sensor filter. The 350D does not have a self cleaning sensor and if the seller has tried it clean it himself/herself, it may be scratched, etc and would be hard to tell if it affects the pictures from the tiny LCD screen.

2) Make sure the flash pops up. Quite alot of 350D I seen listed wouldnt have a working flash, probably a sign it was dropped often.

3) Make sure the pins in the CF slot are straight. The camera will be able to take pictures without a CF card inside, but once you stick a CF card in a camera with a bent / missing pin, it will refuse to take any pictures.

Thats pretty much it. And between the 350D and the 400D, I couldn't justify the extra money for the little improvements of the 400D. You might also consider the 20D, found out I could of got the 20D for cheaper a few weeks after I bought the 350d. :cry:

Yeah, these were the things I was concerned about, little things that could easily be hidden. Thanks for posting this, I have an HP laptop somewhere, and I suppose I could bring that to check out the pictures.

I'm not looking to spend more than $250, but if necessary, I can stretch my budget to $350. I have a Sigma lens (18-105mm I think) that should work; it worked on my uncle's XTI so I'm assuming it'll work on the XSI or XT.

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 15, 2010 17:47 |  #19

gonzogolf wrote in post #10001320 (external link)
Yeah I get your point, who wants better images when they can have the extra lcd screen on the back :)

PSSSHAW! Blasphemy I say! My little XT still puts out some wonderful images, no fancy-schmancy 2 megapickle more sensor is going to make or break the image.

I'm still not itching to upgrade. The XT is a fantastic little camera which does everything I need it to do (of course I'm not a sports shooter, so AF and FPS could make a difference to you, but the XTi offers no improvements on those).

SnoopKatt wrote in post #10001682 (external link)
I'm not looking to spend more than $250, but if necessary, I can stretch my budget to $350. I have a Sigma lens (18-105mm I think) that should work; it worked on my uncle's XTI so I'm assuming it'll work on the XSI or XT.

That means it has an EF mount, so yes, it will work.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

walsh416
150 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 24, 2010 22:43 as a reply to  @ TheBurningCrown's post |  #20

Not sure if you've already bought your camera or not, but if not, I would recommend Craigslist. I bought my XTi and grip with four batteries off of the site from a very nice gentleman for only $350! I found several offers that I liked and emailed them all. The man that I bought mine from was originally asking for 500, but I was able to haggle him down. I came to the local coffee shop with my list of approximately 20 things and checked each one over before paying. While I understand that not all transactions might go as smoothly as mine, I would highly recommend a look around.

Canon 40D | Canon 50mm F1.8 | Canon 18-55 | Canon 55-250 IS | Canon 430ex ii

SnoopKatt
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 09, 2010 12:58 |  #21

I'm just about ready to buy a camera, but I'm still uncomfortable about warranty stuff. I see some of the people here selling cameras with blank warranty cards, but what does that mean? Can I still get a Canon warranty?

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 09, 2010 13:04 |  #22

TheBurningCrown wrote in post #10002632 (external link)
PSSSHAW! Blasphemy I say! My little XT still puts out some wonderful images, no fancy-schmancy 2 megapickle more sensor is going to make or break the image.

+1 in not quite the same character. :)

Funny thing... I bought the 7D last month, and while I'm pretty much lovin' it, I've noticed that I'm loving my XT more than I did prior to getting the 7D.

tedtedted
120 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 09, 2010 13:09 as a reply to  @ dave63's post |  #23

Has anyone noticed the market jump on these lately? I remember back in February seeing a ton of these listed for $200-$300 - I got one for basically $100. Now I'm seeing them at even more (and some crazies listing them for $700!!!)

Canon Rebel XT (Silver) | Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 16-35 2.8L | Canon 35 1.4L | Canon 24-105 4L | Canon 70-200 F4L
Canon 18-55 | Canon 24 2.8 | Canon 50 1.8 | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon 35-80 (mod) | Sigma 10-20 4-5.6
Canon 430ex | Canon 430ex II | Canon 580ex II | AlienBees B800

Yoderrm
61 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 09, 2010 14:14 as a reply to  @ tedtedted's post |  #24

I've had my XTi for about 3 years and haven't had any major problems with it. I had to replace the eyecup, but that's has been all. My friend had an XTi, and the eject button for his CF card broke (Canon fixed it under warranty). They're good cameras... even after upgrading, I plan on hanging onto mine.

Bradfordguy
941 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 09, 2010 14:22 as a reply to  @ Yoderrm's post |  #25

My entry into digital was with an XT. With the battery grip and 2 batteries you could shoot forever without killing the batteries. I used that body for @ 4 years and it never even hiccupped. Not one malfunction ever. Very reliable body, should have kept it really. Now to Ctaigslist, I have done many deals there both buying & selling with great success. Be smart and meet is a public place, deal in cash only and spend some time testing and examining your items.

G10, 7D gripped, 17-55 2.8 IS , 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, EF 85 1.8, 105 2.8 EX Sigma Macro, 1.4 TC , 580 EXII, 430 EX, ST-E2

SnoopKatt
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 18, 2010 01:02 |  #26

Well my friend was actually selling an XSi that was only 5 months old for $400 with a battery, charger, and case, so I went for it and I'm very happy. I paired it with a Sigma 28-105mm lens f2.8-4, and it works great outdoors and in good inside lighting. Great camera, and thanks for everyone's input! Maybe I'll be posting around here a little more.

mankilr
53 posts
Joined May 2010

May 18, 2010 01:33 |  #27

I have the XT now. but I still want to upgrade to maybe a T1i or T2i. I like the bigger screen (not so good eyes) and the ability to do video. But I wont get rid of my XT. its just an all around nice camera. Maybe pass it on to the kids(when they got older). Injoy your camera.

Canon 350D xt. Quantaray 70-300mm LDO, Canon 35-80mm f4-5.6 II,

sponsored links

4,928 views & 0 likes for this thread
I Might Look Around on Craigslist for a Canon EOS Rebel XT/XTi Body..Any Precautions?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.