Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Apr 2010 (Thursday) 16:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DsMKII good idea?

Reservoir_Dog
148 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 15, 2010 16:15 |  #1

Hi all,
Can buy a 1Ds MKII with 12000 clicks, is it still a good buy this cam?
Its not gonna be a sportsshooter cam...

sponsored links
Reservoir_Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 16, 2010 14:06 |  #2

Reservoir_Dog wrote in post #10002149 (external link)
Hi all,

Such an unusual question??

elader
Goldmember
2,374 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 16, 2010 14:11 |  #3

good for what? how can we comment if we dont know what you will use it for and what it costs?

great build, autofocus, image quality.

crappy lcd, ergonomics, heavy.

Eric
FJR1300 rider
5D mkIII and 1D MkIII

16-35L | 24-105L | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 85 f/1.8 / 50 f.1,4

Bradfordguy
941 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 16, 2010 20:54 as a reply to  @ elader's post |  #4

Many would tell you that it's one of the best models canon has put out and the price of them puts them in reach for many whereas a MIII or upcoming MKIV is serious money. Great AF, FF, build.

G10, 7D gripped, 17-55 2.8 IS , 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, EF 85 1.8, 105 2.8 EX Sigma Macro, 1.4 TC , 580 EXII, 430 EX, ST-E2

Reservoir_Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 16, 2010 21:39 |  #5

elader wrote in post #10007850 (external link)
good for what? how can we comment if we dont know what you will use it for and what it costs?

Just for random photography, except sports...

Reservoir_Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 16, 2010 21:40 |  #6

Bradfordguy wrote in post #10009889 (external link)
Many would tell you that it's one of the best models canon has put out and the price of them puts them in reach for many whereas a MIII or upcoming MKIV is serious money. Great AF, FF, build.

Some say image quality is comparable with original 5d, which is very good?

sheawyatt
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 16, 2010 21:45 |  #7

Reservoir_Dog wrote in post #10010089 (external link)

Image quality is just as good if not better. AF is better. Viewfinder is better. Handling is better. FPS is better. Dual card slots. Ridiculous custom functions to personalize the settings.

The only downsides I find are a) battery is big, heavy, and NiMh, so it requires more maintenance than a modern Li-ion b) LCD is small and has bad viewing angles. But if you just need it to check histograms and change settings, it's fine.

This body cost $8000 for a reason when it came out. It will do anything, can handle anything you throw at it (bricks, water, children) or it off of (desks, down stairs, small cliffs), and will continue to amaze you with the images it can help you produce.

Make sure you check the 1DsII Fan club thread:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=609078

X-T3 | 10-24 f/4 | 18-55 f/2.8-4 | 16 f/1.4 | 80 f/2.8 Macro | 55-200 f/3.5-4.8 | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 | 1.4x TC |
Marketplace Feedback: Link
www.sheawyatt.ca (external link)

Steveod
766 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 16, 2010 22:34 |  #8

Reservoir_Dog wrote in post #10002149 (external link)
Hi all,

Go for it,I went from XTI to 1D mk1 and hardly use the XTI anymore

Steveod:shock: 1D Classic,1Ds, 400D. EOS-1n, EOS-5 Minolta Autocord,Yashica-A,Yashica-mat 66 Yashica-mat 124G ,Rolleicord IV & VB ,Mamiya C3,Mamiya C33, and a heap of other gear I keep collecting and collecting,Hi I am Steve and I am a photoholic http://www.flickr.com/​photos/steveod2007/ (external link)

Bradfordguy
941 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 16, 2010 22:55 |  #9

Reservoir_Dog wrote in post #10010089 (external link)

5D has pretty impressive IQ, I don't consider the comparison as a negative. Another thing is that many times people add the accessory grip to a 5D which adds a fair chunk of $$ into final purchase especially if you are also adding a second battery. The 1DsII will not necessitate that extra $$ layout.

G10, 7D gripped, 17-55 2.8 IS , 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, EF 85 1.8, 105 2.8 EX Sigma Macro, 1.4 TC , 580 EXII, 430 EX, ST-E2

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 17, 2010 01:11 as a reply to  @ Bradfordguy's post |  #10

As a previous 5D owner, I was about to jump on the 5D MkII bandwagon until I discovered that I could score a 1DsMkII for the same or less money and have a way better focusing system, complete weather sealing, tank like construction quality and all the other refinements that the 1D series bodies offer. A year and a half later, I am still completely happy with it as it's been a rock solid reliable camera that takes world class pictures provided you know what you're doing as a photographer with it. True, a camera is just a tool but it is one designed for the professional shooter and for those that aspire to be on an equal footing with them. Yes it's heavy but its also balanced. Yes, there is no live view, but the view finder is great and you can always take better, steadier shots if you're not holding a camera out in mid air, two feet away from your eyes. Also keep in mind that you actually have a much better view through the viewfinder then a 3" screen that's 2 feet away from your eyes, fighting sun light and eating up your battery. And these days, with it selling commonly below $2k, it's a no brainer.

Cheers!

GEAR LIST l WEBSITE (external link)

tkim250140
21 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 17, 2010 16:16 |  #11

No question and no comparison - one of the best camera Canon ever produced!

Anders ­ Östberg
Goldmember
3,395 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Apr 17, 2010 17:37 |  #12

Great camera for everything except sports (though not useless by any measure) and really low light. Go for it.

Anders Östberg - Mostly Canon gear - My photos (external link)

postcardcv
252 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 17, 2010 17:52 |  #13

I love my 1DsmkII - I'd lusted after one for ages before finally cracking and buying one ~18 months ago. Sure the controls are a bit clunky (I prefer the newer models for this), the LCD is rubbish and it's a heavy lump. As for image quality it really is the superb, I've not used a camera that produces nicer files to work with (including the 5DmkII). Although it's high ISO performance is not quite as good as the newer models it's still very good. It's the only DSLR that I have owned that I haven't even considered selling.

www.blueskybirds.co.uk (external link)

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
12,931 posts
Gallery: 302 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 17, 2010 17:57 |  #14

I agree with all... Great camera with today's price break...

- airbutchie

PS. I don't see how much you were offered for a 1Ds2 with 12k actuations?

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Brian500au
412 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 18, 2010 04:11 |  #15

Love the 1DsMKII.

Gear List
www.kjbphotography.com​.au (external link)

sponsored links

1,736 views & 0 likes for this thread
1DsMKII good idea?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.