Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 17 Apr 2010 (Saturday) 02:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

*REVIEW* Lowepro Exchange Messenger bag

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 17, 2010 02:40 |  #1

Hello fellow POTNers! I remembered Lowepro was making a small shoulder bag made out of lightweight materials about two months ago but completely forgot about it till I found this thread about a week ago.

I recently purchased a 5D classic because I needed a camera smaller than my 1DmarkIIn for walkarounds and small-time shoots. With the 5D came the need to buy a smaller bag. My Crumpler 7MDH was just right for the 1DmarkIIn, but too large and thick (width wise) for my walkaround 5D.

So six days ago, I headed down to my local photography store to purchase the Lowepro Exchange Messenger bag. It was on offer new at SGD33 (USD24) and came with a cool lowepro cap and a lanyard. Sweet deal!

Since then, I've used it for two event-style shoots and a few walkarounds. I'm very happy with this bag and so I decided to review it for you guys.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/4527764022_60a466cd23_o.jpg

Photograph depicting yours truly with the Lowepro Exchange Messenger while shooting in a school auditorium. Photo: Ryang Ho Sung

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

sponsored links
Headshotzx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 17, 2010 03:01 |  #2

Introduction, First Impressions, Built:

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4012/4527134963_b143b36ea6_o.jpg

The Lowepro Exchange Messenger (referred to from now on just as "the bag") is a cheap & lightweight shoulder bag from Lowepro. It has no thick padding, and the only padding worth mentioning is found only in the two compartment dividers that come with the bag. The exterior has no padding whatsoever. It's made with cheap materials, a kind of lightweight and thin two-layer nylon, but the stiching is good.

The design is simple: a thin rectangle with a black X on the front with the lowepro brand badge. It comes in black, grey and blue. Since I was going to use this bag in pretty serious shoots, I got the black one.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/4527764678_63ffc575be_o.jpg

The bag is a mere 14.5cm thick - just perfect for those that want a small non-obstructive bag.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/4527135419_928ca8ff83_o.jpg

The back of the bag has a sewn-in loop. It's how many stores hang up their bags for display. In the event that a photographer shoots at a fenced location, i'm sure he or she could bring a strong S-hook to latch the bag to a fence.

The strap does not come with a shoulder pad. This is the only drawback because of the cost. It is often uncomfortable to use the bag without such a shoulder pad. I use my Crumpler 7MDH's shoulder pad when my gear isn't heavy (one camera, one lens) or the more padded Domke Postman shoulder pad when I bring the 70-200 along.

Headshotzx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 17, 2010 03:08 as a reply to  @ Headshotzx's post |  #3

Built (continued)

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4003/4527766296_711443f2be_o.jpg

The bottom of the bag has 2 straps with buckles on them. They're cheap, small and probably will be the first thing to break. However, they're more than adequate enough.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4010/4527135847_d8c984ed7e_o.jpg

The interior of the bag is smooth and bright green in color. This is to allow users to spot their gear more easily, and is especially helpful in dark locations.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4025/4527765626_42e556bcc5_o.jpg

At the front of the bag are two open pockets deep enough for stuff like filters and harddrives. One half of the bag also has a soft-zippered pocket that's only slightly shallower than the open pockets. I keep my keys and thin portable harddrives in here.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4002/4527136463_e839e41470_o.jpg

Headshotzx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 17, 2010 03:16 as a reply to  @ Headshotzx's post |  #4

Interior

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4527767026_18b82b5297_o.jpg

The interior is lined with two thin strips of female sided velcro. Obviously a design choice due to budget. However, it is adequate enough for two supplied dividers to latch onto. The velcro is quite sturdy and a little jostling about won't get them to separate. I'm sorry I don't have a photograph showing the velcro strips.

The above photograph also shows how thin the material of the flap is. Great for some, a bane to others. Your mileage may vary.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4527135627_d020bc456d_o.jpg

Now onto the fun part - fitting in the gear!

I'm able to fit the following inside without any issue at all:

5D classic + domke strap
24-70 hood reversed (L will fit, but I only have a borrowed sigma to show)
70-200 2.8L IS hood reversed
50 1.4 hood in position (or a 580EXII)

Misc cards, pens, remotes, harddrives, keys, 5D batteries, filters in their hard cases yadayada...

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4527137759_b0b646e3ab_o.jpg

Picture shows how none of my gear goes above the height of the bag.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4045/4527767472_177a089912_o.jpg

And a photograph of the gear in the bag from above. Right side of the bag houses a 50 1.4 which is in the shadows, but it can also fit a 580EXII no problem!

Headshotzx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 17, 2010 03:24 as a reply to  @ Headshotzx's post |  #5

In Use & Conclusions

In use, the bag feels very lightweight. I like how the bag molds to your bottom and it feels very secure. Of course, if the flap was heavier, it would instill more confidence because the flap would close and stay closed more easily. However, that's not an issue at all for me because I don't shoot in dangerous environments at all - mostly in school.

The bag is very thin and can be compressed and rolled up. I would like to try doing this one day when I have 4 lenses to bring. I'd put everything, including the rolled up bag, into my Think Tank Airport Takeoff roller. Wheel to location, put the 3 lenses in the bag, mount one to my camera, then start rock and rollin'.

I also sometimes use a carabiner on the strap to hook my water bottle onto.

*UPDATE - 3 weeks in*

After using it for about three weeks, I've found something rather interesting regarding the bag's usage. I would normally carry a 3 lens kit with one attached to the 5D. Once the camera and mounted lens comes out, the bag literally curves around your body because the middle is empty and the material is flexible. This compresses the middle compartment's space a little. It doesn't affect lens changing because lenses that fit into the bag aren't that thick in diameter. However if you want to put your camera back in, you're gonna have to make the bag go back to its original shape, or sit the bag down on your lap etc.

In conclusion:

• Cheap
  • Lightweight
  • Made with thin materials
  • Stitched together well
  • Slightly flimsy buckles
  • No shoulder pad
  • Great minimalistic no-fuss design
  • Holds a lot of gear if you want it to
  • Great as a lens carrier (like a shootsac)
  • Easily replaceable because of the cost
  • Compressible and roll-able, perfect for putting into a bigger bag

I love the bag, and I hope this review helps you ;)

I shall be happy to answer any questions you may have.

G'day,
Zexun

Headshotzx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 17, 2010 07:21 |  #6

Q&A

XxDJCyberLoverxX wrote in post #10013990 (external link)
That's a really nice/compact-sized bag for the times where you don't want to carry ALL of your gear when going on a shoot!

I'm looking for a VERY similar size/style bag... maybe a tad bit bigger to fit one more lens/flash. Question: do you think a gripped T1i would fit in the camera compartment/slot?

Unfortunately, I don't think it can without really stretching the bag, making it quite dangerous to use. Any bump at all might stress the camera's exterior.

With the lenses detached however, it will. So it'll kinda be like... 30 1.4 + 60 2.8 stacked on the left... camera+grip in the middle... flash on the right. That'll work, but might be inconvenient because you gotta mount and dismount your stuff every time.

xMClass wrote in post #10015094 (external link)
It looks like it's impossible to fit a 1-Series or gripped body in there. Anybody tried it anyway?

Like I said, with no lens mounted it's surely alright. I can fit a 70-200 2.8IS, 1Dmark2n and squeeze a flash or TC in no problem for my sports shoots.

XxDJCyberLoverxX wrote in post #10042667 (external link)
Thanks a lot Headshotzx! I'm still deciding whether to buy a grip or not... lol. Its really beneficial, but it will add a lot of bulk to my camera and I don't know if it'll bulge out of a standard messenger bag like yours.

My friend has a xti 400D gripped and it doesn't fit comfortably with the lens attached. Like I said, the width of the bag is 14.5 cm. Anything larger than that really feels awkward and makes the bag feel so tight when closing, it's dangerous. You can always try to squeeze it in, but the lack of padding and tight interiors would make me recommend you to look somewhere else.

muusers wrote in post #10043049 (external link)
Do you think a xxD with a mounted 70-200 f4 wil fit? With the back of the camera pointing up?

It might, but it would be dangerous. Interior height of the bag is 20.5 cm. If you really want to stretch it, it might go to 24cm. The height (in our case) of the 70-200 with 50D attached would be 17cm + 7.5cm = 24.5cm. But that means your setup would be very tight. Perhaps if you have a photography store nearby you can try to test it out?

Cheers,
Zexun

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,253 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 17, 2010 07:26 |  #7

Good review and nice clean photos!

Make sure to submit it for the bag review sticky.

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

Headshotzx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 17, 2010 09:34 |  #8

Thanks! I've already pm'ed him and put the link in the archive thread :)

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 17, 2010 10:50 as a reply to  @ Headshotzx's post |  #9

Great review, thanks for sharing your thoughts and impressions. I am considering this bag as a daily walk-around as well.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

MARK1992
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 17, 2010 11:03 |  #10

Very O/T but are you in SA?

Headshotzx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 17, 2010 11:47 |  #11

tgara wrote in post #10012302 (external link)
Great review, thanks for sharing your thoughts and impressions. I am considering this bag as a daily walk-around as well.

Thanks! It's a great bag!

MARK1992 wrote in post #10012366 (external link)
Very O/T but are you in SA?

Yeap.

XxDJCyberLoverxX
Goldmember
1,139 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 17, 2010 17:29 |  #12

That's a really nice/compact-sized bag for the times where you don't want to carry ALL of your gear when going on a shoot!

I'm looking for a VERY similar size/style bag... maybe a tad bit bigger to fit one more lens/flash. Question: do you think a gripped T1i would fit in the camera compartment/slot?

Daniel
Sony a7 / Sony a7s / FE 24-70mm / FE 28mm F/2 / Samyang 135mm
Nebula 4000 Lite / Manfrotto 190cx
POTN Feedback / My Work! (external link)

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,450 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 17, 2010 21:20 |  #13

Wish mine was black...

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=9028226&po​stcount=20

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

Headshotzx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 17, 2010 21:30 |  #14

XxDJCyberLoverxX wrote in post #10013990 (external link)

Unfortunately, I don't think it can without really stretching the bag, making it quite dangerous to use. Any bump at all might stress the camera's exterior.

With the lenses detached however, it will. So it'll kinda be like... 30 1.4 + 60 2.8 stacked on the left... camera+grip in the middle... flash on the right. That'll work, but might be inconvenient because you gotta mount and dismount your stuff every time.

That isn't black? Looks black to me...

xMClass
Goldmember
2,203 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 17, 2010 21:40 |  #15

It looks like it's impossible to fit a 1-Series or gripped body in there. Anybody tried it anyway?

-Mikey

sponsored links

76,798 views & 0 likes for this thread
*REVIEW* Lowepro Exchange Messenger bag
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.