Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Apr 2010 (Monday) 04:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 270ex HSS

canondslr
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 19, 2010 04:10 |  #1

Guys
Some question regarding Canon 270ex and High Speed Sync feature.
I just bought a Canon 270ex and would use it for some HSS shoot, according to dpreview report, Canon 270ex has that feature. Brought it today with me to a garden and trying to do some HSS shot, it wouldnt do it, and I was trying to figure it out how to use HSS with it with no luck. I got home and went to Canon website, checked out the spec and found out they didnt mention anything about HSS on it.
Another one is dpreview also mentioned that this flash can do manual power from "full - 1/64", again cant make it to do it.
Anyone who has this flash maybe can confirm these ?
Oh BTW I was using Rebel XTi with it.
I bought this flash because I like the smaller size, has HSS and manual power adjustment and would like to do some wireless trigger (PW Mini/Flex maybe), seems I got misinformed.

Thanks Guys...

sponsored links
PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Apr 19, 2010 07:11 |  #2

Some of the features on that flash is accessible only through the menu on the camera. Does your camera have a flash menu? If so, try setting the 270EX from there.

...Leo

canondslr
THREAD ­ STARTER
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 19, 2010 11:04 |  #3

I know that because there's no button anywhere on the flash itself so it must be from camera.
Yes I was able to adjust -1,-2,0,+1,+2 on camera for flash exposure compensation, but thats it.
I guess thats it no HSS and manual power adjustment (I dunno, maybe there are extra setting with newer camera I dunno because I dont have them).

mabviper
54 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 19, 2010 11:10 |  #4

Hmm, I always thought that the 270EX didn't have HSS. I didn't think about accessing it from the menu.

Return it and get a 430EX ^^

7D | 15-85mm IS | 30mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 580EX II | 430EX II | YN-560

dedsen
Goldmember
2,580 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 19, 2010 11:35 as a reply to  @ mabviper's post |  #5

This article indicates that it does support HSS but is controlled with the camera menu with a 40d and later cameras.

http://photonotes.org/​reviews/speedlite-270ex/ (external link)

canondslr
THREAD ­ STARTER
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 19, 2010 11:43 |  #6

mabviper:
hahaha, maybe I'll just return it, I have 430 and 580 already, this one is for my travel kit / going-to-the-garden kit kinda thing.

dedsen
Ah, make sense now.. thanks for the article.
In this case, maybe I'll hang to it, have a plan to get newer camera in the near future.

Thanks a lot Guys...

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Apr 19, 2010 11:47 |  #7

canondslr wrote in post #10023783 (external link)
I know that because there's no button anywhere on the flash itself so it must be from camera.
Yes I was able to adjust -1,-2,0,+1,+2 on camera for flash exposure compensation, but thats it.
I guess thats it no HSS and manual power adjustment (I dunno, maybe there are extra setting with newer camera I dunno because I dont have them).

Well, it looks like the flash menu feature was added to the models after yours because the 450D has it.

...Leo

canondslr
THREAD ­ STARTER
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 19, 2010 11:55 |  #8

yeah, thats what happened ..
mann..cant keep up with technology...

or maybe XTi would go to wifey and I'll......... ;)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Apr 19, 2010 12:14 |  #9

canondslr wrote in post #10024106 (external link)
yeah, thats what happened ..
mann..cant keep up with technology...

or maybe XTi would go to wifey and I'll......... ;)

Hey, now you're talking....! ;)

...Leo

canondslr
THREAD ­ STARTER
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 19, 2010 12:30 |  #10

@PacAce:
hahahah

BTW Guys who has a newer camera with "Flash control" feature in the menu, can you show me a pics of it (that screen), what options are available in there.

Thx...

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 19, 2010 16:52 |  #11

canondslr wrote in post #10024307 (external link)
@PacAce:
hahahah

BTW Guys who has a newer camera with "Flash control" feature in the menu, can you show me a pics of it (that screen), what options are available in there.

Thx...

You can go to Canons website and download PDF manuals for any newer camera models you want under "Drivers and Downloads" for each camera model. There you should be able to see all the pictures and instructions for any features you are interested in. The 270EX is a great little flash but without a newer camera to access the hidden flash features from the cameras flash menu it is like having only half a flash.

Rand

Gear

sponsored links

3,588 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 270ex HSS
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.