Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 19 Apr 2010 (Monday) 08:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Faking quality bokeh, Example

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 19, 2010 08:31 |  #1

I love faking bokeh, what can I say? There's some kind of thrill to be had when you can achieve the look of a 24mm f/1.2 lens (which of course does not exist) by simple means of photoshopping. Actually, to do the job on this image, several steps were required. In photoshop CS4, masking out the foreground would have a standard, tedious process. A lot of time was saved thanks to the new edge detection algorithm. Cleaning the background was a faster process thanks to the new content aware tool. All in all, no more than 30 minutes was used to achieve the look of a wide angle/impossibly huge open aperture at this focus distance. It really brings the subject out from what would normally been a busy background.

IMAGE: http://tlcphoto.ca/potn/IMG_5420.jpg

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

sponsored links
Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 19, 2010 08:45 |  #2

That looks like faking depth of field, not bokah. Bokah is the precieved quality of the out of focus elements. Not that it is simply OOF.

And there are actions you can run to do this for you. You only need pick your amount of blur you want, and to mask out what you don't want OOF. Makes it a 5 minute job.

That said, I kinda like what you have done here. The sharp edge from the tree to the blurred background makes it kind of interesting.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

genzbenz
628 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 19, 2010 09:50 |  #3

Mark1 wrote in post #10022992 (external link)
That looks like faking depth of field, not bokah. Bokah is the precieved quality of the out of focus elements. Not that it is simply OOF.

And there are actions you can run to do this for you. You only need pick your amount of blur you want, and to mask out what you don't want OOF. Makes it a 5 minute job.

That said, I kinda like what you have done here. The sharp edge from the tree to the blurred background makes it kind of interesting.

I've played with Alien Skin's Bokeh plug-in and it seems pretty easy to make a decent looking shot.

Visit my Facebook Page (external link)
5D III | 5D II | 85L II | 24-70L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 100-400L | 100 2.8 Macro | 50 1.8 II | Tokina 16-28 2.8 | Sigma 15 2.8 FE | Sigma 35 1.4 | 430EX II (x3) | Calumet Genesis lights | YN RF-602 and YN-622c triggers

R1200GS
377 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 19, 2010 11:47 |  #4

Am I the only one who thinks this looks like a miniature? I mean I like it. It looks really cool. Just mini.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 19, 2010 11:50 |  #5

R1200GS wrote in post #10024039 (external link)
Am I the only one who thinks this looks like a miniature? I mean I like it. It looks really cool. Just mini.

I was thinking the same thing, it's gotta be the ground.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

ambeestar
154 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 19, 2010 12:48 |  #6

genzbenz wrote in post #10023335 (external link)
I've played with Alien Skin's Bokeh plug-in and it seems pretty easy to make a decent looking shot.

i used a very slight amount of bokeh (i think i selected something like 6%) using the alien skin plugin on this shot, and it turned out pretty well in my opinion. the whole thing was pretty in focus to start with. (i'd show you the original but i'm at work):

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3484/3756633015_e75e0a2871_o.jpg

T1i (external link)| Canon 17-85mm (external link)| Opteka .35x Wide Angle/Fisheye (external link)| Nifty Fifty (external link) |
flickr (external link)

lecherro
809 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 19, 2010 14:12 |  #7

I read a tutorial once that talked about making real landscape shots look miniature. It involved defocusing the fore and back grounds. It got this same look .

First step........ Take the lens cap off.

Imagineering
197 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 19, 2010 14:15 |  #8

Its not the same. itll always look fake. that seems to be the flavor of the week right now, faking tilt shift shots to look like miniatures. Its really amazing how it takes the most boring looking shots and suddenly makes them so interesting ;-)a Look past the gimmick and what your left with is well, a boring shot. Fnny that there are some big name photogs doing it now though

http://www.garibaldiph​oto.com (external link)
I love the images I get from my camera phone

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 19, 2010 14:19 |  #9

I only fake it if I have to. I much prefer the real thing. Looks good though, OP.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

n1blo
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 19, 2010 14:27 |  #10

I agree, it does have a kinda tilt-shift quality to it. It's a nice shot though.

Fast Cars, Fast Glass & Lucky Women...
Flickr (external link)

PhotoCupcake
673 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 19, 2010 16:02 |  #11

To me that photo looks like a good photo that was ruined by adding fake DOF. I'm sorry but I just don't like it at all.

OP: Would you like to share the original photo? That is, with the same PP minus fake DOF.

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 19, 2010 16:50 |  #12

PhotoCupcake wrote in post #10025659 (external link)
To me that photo looks like a good photo that was ruined by adding fake DOF. I'm sorry but I just don't like it at all.

OP: Would you like to share the original photo? That is, with the same PP minus fake DOF.

no prob. I'm going to have to say that I think you presumed too quickly. The original is incredibly bland. The ice on the lake is not very attractive, for example...

Thanks for the comments, everyone :)

By the way, this is my wife. It was just a plain shot I took our walk. Nothing business related...

IMAGE: http://www.tlcphoto.ca/potn/IMG_5420-3.jpg

bulldogg7
469 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 19, 2010 16:59 |  #13

I like them both, the original kind of makes you stop and actually take it all in though. Maybe if the blurred one had a bit more transition to it between the blur and in focus parts. The colors rock.

Jeff:
Junk Box
, Facebook (external link)

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 19, 2010 17:07 |  #14

Mark1 wrote in post #10022992 (external link)

lol, ok, I know. wrong term. I was in a rush to get to a meeting, wasn't thinking clearly at the time. Actually, PS crashed halfway through the job, so it could have been a lot faster. Watching 'Numbers' in the background didn't speed things up either.

bulldogg7 wrote in post #10025968 (external link)
I like them both, the original kind of makes you stop and actually take it all in though. Maybe if the blurred one had a bit more transition to it between the blur and in focus parts.

that's true. The processed image is overly blurred thus less interesting. The experiment was more about the process rather than an intended result for this picture. I won't be printing either simply because I have other better close-up portraits.

I think the reason is that the larger a lens's aperture is, the greater it is exaggerating what the human eye can see. As I said earlier, this effect would most likely be possible if a 24mm f/1.2 lens existed. I'd imagine the actual diameter of the lens would be very large to achieve this. Hence why it would give the impression that you were looking through the eye of a gaint... and why everything else would seem miniature.

PhotoCupcake
673 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 19, 2010 17:07 |  #15

Pearlallica wrote in post #10025935 (external link)
no prob. I'm going to have to say that I think you presumed too quickly. The original is incredibly bland. The ice on the lake is not very attractive, for example...

QUOTED IMAGE

But that is the original straight from the camera, right? Do you have the same photo *with* PP but without fake DOF?

I'm not saying fake DOF is a bad idea but I do think it should be more subtle than what you added. It just screams gaussian blur + layer mask. Maybe I've spent too much time in PS :)

sponsored links

4,329 views & 0 likes for this thread
Faking quality bokeh, Example
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.