Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
Thread started 19 Apr 2010 (Monday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First HDR attempt, Sunset CC please

Jason ­ L
173 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 19, 2010 08:47 |  #1

I attempted my first HDR tonight. I like realistic HDR images, and I tried my best to replicate the the scene as I saw it. This is a blend of 6 exposures, but afterwords I think I could have achieved the same result with 3. I am looking forward to trying HDR on a scene with more dynamic range.

New photographer and very new to HDR, so any pointers are greatly appreciated!

Jay

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My Website (external link)
Gear and Feedback

sponsored links
MrGreen
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 19, 2010 16:44 |  #2

This looks like a single exposed shot for the sky and nothing else. Not even remotely close to being HDR.

If it was HDR, then you'd have shot an exposure for the foreground, ocean, and sky and blended them together to make one perfectly exposed photo, but what you have is the FG, and ocean, underexposed, with the sky exposed well.

My site: www.millionflame.com (external link)
Gear: 7D - Zeikos Grip, Rebel XTi/400D - Opteka Grip, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, EF 50mm f/1.8 (Nifty Fifty), EF-s 55-250mm (Nifty Two-Fifty), Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Σ 150-500mm (Bigmos), Σ 35mm f/1.4, Σ 85mm f/1.4, Feisol CT-3442 CF Tripod, Photo Clam PC-40NS Ball head, 580 EX II Flash

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
14,831 posts
Gallery: 236 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 19, 2010 17:13 as a reply to  @ MrGreen's post |  #3

It is a nice image but a bit over saturated for my taste.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

596 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 19, 2010 18:45 |  #4

Nice image.. but I agree with mrgreen.. why isnt the foreground exposed well?? How did you do this??

Body: Canon 7d - gripped | Canon Xsi - gripped |
Glass: 16-35 f 2.8L | 24-70 f2.8L | 70-200 f2.8L| 100 F2.8 L Macro| 50mm f/1.2L|for sale 50mm f 1.4
Flash: 580EX II (x2) | Battery Pack CP-E4
www.MaltesePhotography​.com (external link)

Jason ­ L
THREAD ­ STARTER
173 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 19, 2010 21:59 as a reply to  @ 007's post |  #5

Oops...wrong image uploaded. That is indeed a multiple exposure HDR, but I was playing with the sliders, contrast etc. I am trying to nail down the basics, composition wasn't the main goal here. As far as the ghosting going on with the sun, I assume that can be fixed using layers in photoshop? The sun was sinking like a rock.

This image is the one I intended to upload.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time...I guess that is what the preview post button is for :oops:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear and Feedback

Jason ­ L
THREAD ­ STARTER
173 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 19, 2010 22:55 as a reply to  @ Jason L's post |  #6

One more...

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i157.photobucke​t.com …_2_3_4_5_tonema​pped-2.jpg (external link)

I am used to using GND filters for sunsets, but I have seen some awesome images using HDR. So any pointers and critiques are more than welcome.

Gear and Feedback

MrGreen
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 20, 2010 11:15 |  #7

Jason L wrote in post #10027743 (external link)
Oops...wrong image uploaded. That is indeed a multiple exposure HDR, but I was playing with the sliders, contrast etc. I am trying to nail down the basics, composition wasn't the main goal here. As far as the ghosting going on with the sun, I assume that can be fixed using layers in photoshop? The sun was sinking like a rock.

This image is the one I intended to upload.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time...I guess that is what the preview post button is for :oops:

Ok, first off I'll ask what program are you using to make these images in? I'm guessing Photomatix since it's the most popular and you mentioned sliders.

I don't have a huge amount of experience with that program mainly because I don't like the results it forces upon me, so I do all my sunset shots blending exposures manually in Photoshop. This offers you much more control over every aspect, but it takes more time.

In terms of the last two images you posted, they're better but still not what a full on HDR image should be. The range of light isn't great enough, and your foreground area (minus the overexposed pond) is underexposed and lacking as much detail as it should.

That pond shouldn't be that bright. It should match the sky since that's what it's reflecting. If anything it should be a tad darker, but not brighter.

Are you shooting multiple exposures using AEB? When I shoot sunsets I usually use my 3-stop hard edge GND AND I shoot 3 exposures too - +2, 0, -2. Why? Well, why the hell not!? Gives me more control over the final image, but offers me the best possible base layer to start with too.

Anyways, I have to go so I hope this helps for now.

Gear: 7D - Zeikos Grip, Rebel XTi/400D - Opteka Grip, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, EF 50mm f/1.8 (Nifty Fifty), EF-s 55-250mm (Nifty Two-Fifty), Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Σ 150-500mm (Bigmos), Σ 35mm f/1.4, Σ 85mm f/1.4, Feisol CT-3442 CF Tripod, Photo Clam PC-40NS Ball head, 580 EX II Flash

Jason ­ L
THREAD ­ STARTER
173 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 20, 2010 11:44 as a reply to  @ MrGreen's post |  #8

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The above images were taken at -2 -1 0 1 2 exposure. Processed in photomatix. I dislike this program, but in all honesty I have taken very little time learning it. I am much more comfortable with Photoshop, but I am waiting until cs5 is released to pick up a copy. Lightroom and photomatix are my only options at the moment.

I thought hdr would be fun to play with, but I think I will go back to my gnd filter until I can get cs5. Once exams are over, I'll have more time to research.

Gear and Feedback

MrGreen
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 22, 2010 11:01 |  #9

You can get nice results from Photomatix, but IMO it takes way more time to do so than just doing it in PS. For me I can blend the exposures needed in a matter of minutes, whereas Photomatix will give you this muddy, noisy, non-sharp result still requires further processing afterwards.

I like doing it all within one program and file if I can.

Jason L wrote in post #10030898 (external link)
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The above images were taken at -2 -1 0 1 2 exposure. Processed in photomatix. I dislike this program, but in all honesty I have taken very little time learning it. I am much more comfortable with Photoshop, but I am waiting until cs5 is released to pick up a copy. Lightroom and photomatix are my only options at the moment.

I thought hdr would be fun to play with, but I think I will go back to my gnd filter until I can get cs5. Once exams are over, I'll have more time to research.

sponsored links

2,075 views & 0 likes for this thread
First HDR attempt, Sunset CC please
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.