Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Apr 2010 (Wednesday) 17:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Going Crazy!!! Buying a 50D + Lens

kjtocool
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 21, 2010 17:11 |  #1

OK, I'm getting married in October, and the future wife is getting a camera as her wedding gift. It's way too expensive, but she's done so well saving for the wedding, given up a lot, and I know it's one of the things she's given up to help save ...

Now that that's out of the way, I'm trying to find the best SLR for her (we don't own one now). I first decided on Canon, and for a lot of reasons the 50D keeps coming out on top when I'm looking at Canon models. My problem now is finding somewhere to buy it, getting all the accessories that you need, plus the correct lens (gulp, this is where my head goes fuzzy). Here's what I'm working with:

Budget: $2000
Wants: Kit that includes 50D + 2 lens (15-85MM and 70-300M?)
Uses: Biggest use will be outdoor landscapes, maybe some macro photography and tourist type shots (both day and night).

The lens are where I need the most help ... my research says starting with something like a 15-85/17-85 + 70-300 would be a solid start to a lens collection and allow the type of shots that fit my uses. But which version of each lens? Newest, older for value, brand name, etc, all start confusing me. I found a kit on primocamera.com which fits my budget, but reviews of the site are terrifying. Short of searching ebay for kits, are there any other places I should be looking? Is a kit a better value than buying everything individually?

I found myself overwhelmed, so I thought it best to stop lurking and start asking. Any help is greatly appreciated ... hopefully it won't be too long and she'll be back here posting some photos! Thanks!

sponsored links
alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 21, 2010 17:22 |  #2

Buy 50D + Tamron 17-50mm + 70-200mm f4
or
50D + Canon 17-55 IS + 70-200f4 (a little over your budget but a great option)

Edit: It'll be a good idea not to go for kit but buy what you want to buy.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

JayStar86
Goldmember
3,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 21, 2010 17:27 |  #3

alpha_1976 wrote in post #10039966 (external link)
50D + Canon 17-55 IS + 70-200f4 (a little over your budget but a great option)

+5000! this would be a great setup.

although the new 15-85 would be a great walk around lens for your "touristy" shots on vacation and stuff.
Are you 100% set on the body choice?

if you were open to other bodies and used equipment you could do even better especially considering the kind of shooting your going to do.... and for the love of god dont buy anything from primocamera! when you decide on what your going to get just make sure you run the store your gunna make the purchase from in here before doing so.

---Jay---
Gear and Feedback
flikr (external link)

NiftyFifty
362 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 21, 2010 17:27 |  #4

15-85 is a great walkaround! get the newest version because it had the new 4-stop IS and USM focus motor. and a 70-200 f/4 would compliment it well but its out of your budget to get all those.

STAY away from the 70-300's, even to untrained eyes the IQ from them is kinda disappointing.

50D is a sports camera, you will not see an IQ diffrence in the 50D compared to the rebels (on a stationary subject) and i find the XSi to be sharper than the 50D (this is an opinion based upon MTF values recorded in a lab test not done by me. i have never owned a 50D so i guess i should not comment on its IQ).

Camera Bodies: 7D, XSi
Glass: 50mm 1.8, 17-85mm 4-5.6

JayStar86
Goldmember
3,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 21, 2010 17:30 |  #5

NiftyFifty wrote in post #10039987 (external link)
50D is a sports camera, you will not see an IQ diffrence in the 50D compared to the rebels and i find the XSi to be sharper than the 50D.

ahhhh, how do i even begin to rectify this statement. so i just wont.

---Jay---
Gear and Feedback
flikr (external link)

kjtocool
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 21, 2010 17:32 |  #6

Not 100% set on the body choice, no. Prefer to stay away from used (never feel comfortable with used equipment).

How do I know which 15-85 is the latest version?
You've mentioned not getting any kits, but where then should I look to buy from?
If I'm not getting a kit, what accessories should I look into? Obviously I'll need a memory card (8GB?), should I get a backpack? Anything else?

JayStar86
Goldmember
3,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 21, 2010 17:40 |  #7

kjtocool wrote in post #10040005 (external link)
Not 100% set on the body choice, no. Prefer to stay away from used (never feel comfortable with used equipment).

How do I know which 15-85 is the latest version?
You've mentioned not getting any kits, but where then should I look to buy from?
If I'm not getting a kit, what accessories should I look into? Obviously I'll need a memory card (8GB?), should I get a backpack? Anything else?

well there is only one 15-85mm lens so dont worry you cant get confused there. were just calling it new because it just came out a little while back.

As for not getting used equipment then I would say the 50D is the right camera of choice given the budget. Have you thought about video at all? do you think you would want video at all in your dslr?

as for kits.... usually the kits you find on ebay and stuff arent worth getting since there usually trying to offload sub-par lenses on you.

Yes get a good capacity CF card. 8gb is good. a backpack or some kind of a dedicated bag for all your camera gear would obviously be a plus and makes sense to get. get what suits your needs and likes in terms of a bag. on the topic of accessories get an extra battery. Also a nice tripod would be nice but isnt a must especially of most of the photography is going to be done while traveling. But a tripod is almost a must for landscape shots. the camera itself will come with plenty of little accessories like strap, battery, charger so your covered there.

As for the lenses I would say take your pick between Canon 17-55 f2.8 or canon 15-85mm.... i think the latter would serve you better right now as you like to do landscapes and 15mm gets pretty wide. For the long end and street photography like candids the Canon 70-200 f4.0 non-IS would be a great lens.

---Jay---
Gear and Feedback
flikr (external link)

JayStar86
Goldmember
3,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 21, 2010 17:43 |  #8

oh and good reputable places to buy would be B&H photo, Adorama, Amazon, newegg, just to get you started on a few right now.

---Jay---
Gear and Feedback
flikr (external link)

NiftyFifty
362 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 21, 2010 17:46 |  #9

im just wondering what a 50D will give you over an XSi for landscapes? 3 megapixels and better build quality... i could understand the extra fps and better AF if he was shooting sports or fast moving subjects... but why spend an extra 500 on the 50D for stationary subjects like macro and landscape shots?

Camera Bodies: 7D, XSi
Glass: 50mm 1.8, 17-85mm 4-5.6

JayStar86
Goldmember
3,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 21, 2010 17:47 |  #10

here are the items i speak of with direct links:
http://www.adorama.com​/ICA50D.html (external link)
http://www.adorama.com​/CA1585ISU.html (external link)
http://www.adorama.com​/CA702004AFU.html (external link)
http://www.adorama.com​/CABP511A.html (external link)

---Jay---
Gear and Feedback
flikr (external link)

kjtocool
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 21, 2010 17:48 |  #11

Not worried about video, it's not something I'm looking for.

Can anyone explain what the main difference / benefit is to a 70-200mm lens vs an 15-85mm? My understanding is very basic, meaning that all I understand is that the 70-200mm will zoom much further. How does that correlate to specific type of shots, etc? I guess I'm wondering if I only get the 15-85 and wait to get a better lens later, will the 15-85 be enough for scenic shots on the honeymoon and things like that?

JayStar86
Goldmember
3,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 21, 2010 17:49 |  #12

NiftyFifty wrote in post #10040082 (external link)
im just wondering what a 50D will give you over an XSi for landscapes? 3 megapixels and better build quality... i could understand the extra fps and better AF if he was shooting sports or fast moving subjects... but why spend an extra 500 on the 50D for stationary subjects like macro and landscape shots?

personally i just think its a good camera to grow with. As one gets more into photography and might want to try out other things the 50d is a much more capable and reliable camera.

---Jay---
Gear and Feedback
flikr (external link)

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 21, 2010 17:49 |  #13

I agree with the idea of XSi. I suggested what I did assuming OP had already made his mind about 50D. If you are not going to do sports then go for XSi or T1i/T2i if interested in video. The money that you save a part of that you can spend on 430EX II.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

JayStar86
Goldmember
3,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 21, 2010 17:50 |  #14

kjtocool wrote in post #10040100 (external link)
Not worried about video, it's not something I'm looking for.

Can anyone explain what the main difference / benefit is to a 70-200mm lens vs an 15-85mm? My understanding is very basic, meaning that all I understand is that the 70-200mm will zoom much further. How does that correlate to specific type of shots, etc? I guess I'm wondering if I only get the 15-85 and wait to get a better lens later, will the 15-85 be enough for scenic shots on the honeymoon and things like that?

yes absolutely. it will be enough for shots like that. so you could put of buying the 70-200mm for a while.

also, dont just limit yourself to the 50d as your body only option just because i said so, lol.... its just my opnion on the matter. if you feel you could get by with a rebel series body then do consider it.

---Jay---
Gear and Feedback
flikr (external link)

kjtocool
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 21, 2010 17:51 |  #15

NiftyFifty, to answer your question ... I really don't know! I'm a big fan of superior build quality, durability and do want a camera that will hold up over time. That said, I'm not dead set on the 50D, I've based many of my opinions on what I've read, and it was that reading that told me the 50D was a far superior camera.

She knows better than me ... but I can't ask her, heh.

sponsored links

4,998 views & 0 likes for this thread
Going Crazy!!! Buying a 50D + Lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.