Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Apr 2010 (Wednesday) 17:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Going Crazy!!! Buying a 50D + Lens

five0.4tluv
112 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 22, 2010 12:14 |  #31

Can you get the $100 rebate from Canon if you purchase your 50d from central digital? if so that would be a steal on the camera....

---------------
40D
Feedback
https://photography-on-the.net …=12524713&postc​ount=27116
https://photography-on-the.net …=16216631&postc​ount=41043

sponsored links
Tarzanman
548 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 22, 2010 12:40 |  #32

Wedding gift?

Better leave the small fry stuff at home. Buy her a 7D and fuggetaboutit! By time she figures out how to use the darn thing she'll also know what lens she wants to try next (or which flash).

Nothing wrong with a Rebel or 50 per se... but if its a wedding gift then all stops should be removed.

GO FOR BROKE

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 22, 2010 12:52 |  #33

kjtocool wrote in post #10040100 (external link)
Not worried about video, it's not something I'm looking for.

Can anyone explain what the main difference / benefit is to a 70-200mm lens vs an 15-85mm? My understanding is very basic, meaning that all I understand is that the 70-200mm will zoom much further. How does that correlate to specific type of shots, etc? I guess I'm wondering if I only get the 15-85 and wait to get a better lens later, will the 15-85 be enough for scenic shots on the honeymoon and things like that?

Yes it is. The 70-200 will be good for subjects that are a distance away. If you feel you want a distance lens but don't want to spend the $600+ for the 70-200 then look at the canon 55-250 lens. It is a great value for a little over $200.

I would suggest you look into getting a flash unit. The YN-465 is available from reputable ebay sellers for around $70. I have one and it works quite well for that kind of expenditure.

Either the Xsi or 50D would be good for what you are looking for. The 50D is a bit larger and heavier.

You can't go wrong purchasing from Amazon. If there is any reason to return the items, they pay the return shipping.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

plasticmotif
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 22, 2010 12:54 |  #34

Any camera body that canon currently makes would be fine. I support getting the 18-55 IS, 50 1.8 and 55-250 IS first. A good bag, few memory cards and a decent tripod (manfrotto 190xprob or 055xprob) would be a great starting kit....also, seriously consider getting a flash.

You could get all of this for a bit over $1,000. Save the rest of the money for trips. After shooting with those three lenses she can figure out what and where she wants to upgrade.

Mac P.
My Zenfolio (external link) My Photo Blog (external link) My Equipment
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14172975#po​st14172975

plasticmotif
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 22, 2010 12:59 |  #35

$560 - http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …EOS_Rebel_XSi_a​_k_a_.html (external link)
$100 - http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Normal_EF_50mm_​f_1_8.html (external link)
$255 - http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_55_250mm_f_4_5​_6_IS.html (external link)
$280 - http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …0EX_II_Speedlit​e_TTL.html (external link)
$233 - http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …OB_Tripod_Kit_B​lack_.html (external link)
$45 - http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …8GB_Extreme_III​_SDHC.html (external link)
$50 - http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …luxe_Backpack_2​00_EG.html (external link)

That is all you'd need. You'd be under budget too.

Mac P.
My Zenfolio (external link) My Photo Blog (external link) My Equipment
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14172975#po​st14172975

kayl
412 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 22, 2010 13:28 |  #36

pleb1024 wrote in post #10040622 (external link)
When one can light up a subject 100 yards away I'll consider it.

Better beamer?

lol

Rocking the 6d2 and SL2 and (mostly) the 24-105 f4 L, 50mm f1.8 STM, and 135mm f2 L along with a few others.
All of my Gear
Buy/Sell Feedback

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 23, 2010 06:37 |  #37

Perfect kit!

Ain't nothin but a thing.

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 23, 2010 08:08 |  #38

Well, if you are interested in a new 50d, I just bought one through Focus camera (authorized distributor) on Ebay through their EBay account, hotdigital. It is $895 before bing which was instant and brought the final price down under $825, best price I can find and you can add ebay bucks and mr rebate if you have that too.

http://cgi.ebay.com …meras&hash=item​1e5b155c82 (external link)

It is body only, then you can figure out your lenses from there. They also have the kits with lenses as well.

I am also in the camp to think the 55-250 is the lens to start with until you see what you shoot.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 23, 2010 08:38 |  #39

I would suggest you stick with the 50D, since you are purchasing your camera new, and I know you are not in the "upgrade frenzy" that most of us get addicted to. Buying a Rebel, she would want to upgrade at some point in time,and purchasing another new camera, taking the hit of the devaluing again, would put you more in the negative. I would only suggest getting a Rebel if you were buying used, then there wouldn't be as much of a hit when time comes to upgrade.

With the 50D, she should be good for quite a while. I also recommend getting the 15-85 like many here suggest. Getting the starter lens kit of 18-55, 55-250 would only leave you wanting to upgrade again. You sound like the type of person who just want to buy it correctly the first time.

So, you can get:
-EOS 50D - $900
- 15-85mm -$725
- 430 EX ii flash -$230 -(Almost essential)
- 50mm f/1.8 lens -$90 (BEST bang for the buck lens)
-Canon 200EG backpack $40
-8GB CF card. ($20-30)

This puts you right in your budget.

Maybe 55-250mm ($200) lens until you save up enough money for the 70-200, or decide if you want a zoom or not.

I vote for the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 ($350) as well instead of the 15-85mm. You would loose the extra range of the extra zoom, but you gain better low light capabilities with it being CONSTANT f/2.8 the entire zoom range. It also does not have a USM motor, so focusing speed is not as lightening fast. No one complains about the image quality from this Tamron. It is quite excellent.

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

Josepi
281 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 23, 2010 08:48 |  #40

duane0524 wrote in post #10050340 (external link)
Well, if you are interested in a new 50d, I just bought one through Focus camera (authorized distributor) on Ebay through their EBay account, hotdigital. It is $895 before bing which was instant and brought the final price down under $825, best price I can find and you can add ebay bucks and mr rebate if you have that too.

http://cgi.ebay.com …meras&hash=item​1e5b155c82 (external link)

It is body only, then you can figure out your lenses from there. They also have the kits with lenses as well.

I am also in the camp to think the 55-250 is the lens to start with until you see what you shoot.

Second vote for 50D, namely via eBay (authorized US seller...any reputable one, shop around) to obtain bing cashback.

In the same boat at the moment, getting married in September (grats!), shopping around for new lenses/body to upgrade from my current setup (whilst using the wedding as an excuse :p)

The prices won't be any more than 5-10% cheaper, but you'll net 8% back after 60 days (I'd go for a check rather than dealing with paypal) as well as what, 2% of the total expenditure available for use @ ebay once the ebay bucks become spendable (3mo cycle). That'd go a nice way to adding some filters/batteries/bag to the set.

Sadly, I'm still undergoing the upsell/downsell/justif​y/discriminate my needs/potentials/etc.

Take care!

qbfx
456 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 23, 2010 09:57 |  #41

First on the body: I don't like the 50D too much but it's a good compromise between the rebels and the 7D. Keep in mind the 550D (T2i) may still give slightly better image quality and better high iso performance than the 50D, along with video recording capability, for the price of build quality, lack of focus microadjustment (a must for me) and worse viewfinder. Another thing to consider is size and weight.

On the lens: A 15-85 would be a good choice for a walkaround lens as it covers a large focal range and has IS which is a good thing for a beginner. Another great choice would be the 17-55 2.8. The wide aperture would enable your soon-to-be-wife to shoot easier in low light, but you'd give up some focal range. A third choice is an exact compromise between the first two - Sigma 17-70 2.8-4, which is cheaper than both canons and also boosts shorter minimum focus distance for better macro-style shots. Keep in mind only the sigma comes with a hood, so, if you go canon, don't forget to buy one. No matter which one you choose, make sure you buy a 50 1.8. It costs less than $100 and is capable to produce some very good pictures which would be impossible to have with the regular walkaround zoom. From there, she can expand her collection with an ultrawide angle or a telephoto lens, or both, depending on her needs.

The flash: A flash is a very good thing to have. As someone already pointed out, it gives a very different look/mood to your shots in low light and can help with sunny daylight shots as a fill light. The 430EX II is a good little flash, but for it's price, I'd recommand the more powerful Sigma 530 Super DG - a very capable piece of light.

Other stuff: Get a small and light but good quality tripod. Another good thing which can improve landscape shots greatly is a circular polarizing filter. Make sure you buy a good quality one, Hoya and B+W come to mind. Get 2 x 8gb cards and a spare battery, a small bag and a backpack.

Personally I'd go 50D, 15-85 + EW-78E, 50 1.8, B+W CPL MRC, Sigma 530DG Super, Manfrotto tripod, Lowepro bag and backpack.
That would make a great starter kit.

Good luck,
Al

╔═══════╗
:::::::::::::::::::╔════╗
::::::::5D:::::':::::::::''XS::::
╚═══════╝::::╚════╝

sponsored links

5,017 views & 0 likes for this thread
Going Crazy!!! Buying a 50D + Lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.