Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 26 Apr 2010 (Monday) 09:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Might take the plunge after 12 years on apple - PC?

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 26, 2010 09:08 |  #1

Im about to update my workstation, I have an Imac at the moment, have had Powermacs, powerbooks, macbooks etc. I am very happy about the OS - and that it simply works.

However I want an upgrade as running with my 2 5d2s and a 7d the machine is on its knees.

My workflow has always been aperture since day 1 - I had a serious look at Lightroom when it was released - pretty sure I can adapt.

If anyone has some good alternatives that dont run to expensive please let me know, im gonna run the usual CS and lightroom.

P.s I will stay with mac when it comes to mail, bookings etc so the workstation will only be on network and not on internet.

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

sponsored links
EmmaRose
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 26, 2010 13:06 |  #2

Whats the budget? Seems like you'd like to just roll with the 27" imac i7

Gear. Flickr. (external link)

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 26, 2010 13:35 |  #3

the answer i was hoping for... ! :) Cheers!

Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 26, 2010 18:37 |  #4

zincozinco wrote in post #10068799 (external link)

If you want processing power like you wouldn't believe, and use Adobe products (photo and video processing), you can build a dual 6-core opteron system with a gtx285 graphics card (for gpu accelerated decoding of 5dmkii/7d video, no need for transcoding) for the price of a core 2 27" imac. If you throw in a four way (four processor) motherboard (but run it at half capacity, some allow that), and a dell u2711, you'll have basically have a mac pro with an imac screen. And if you ever find that it's not good enough still, you can add two more processors and more ram (think they max out at 24 core, 96GB ram right now). And unlike on OSX, lightroom and all other adobe products use 100% of the resources you throw at them in windows.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Apr 26, 2010 19:40 |  #5

zincozinco wrote in post #10068799 (external link)

I'd go for the i7 27" iMac. You already know the platform (and like it), probably already have the software and the computer itself is very nice.

JayCee ­ Images
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 26, 2010 19:52 |  #6

zincozinco wrote in post #10067217 (external link)
Im about to update my workstation, I have an Imac at the moment, have had Powermacs, powerbooks, macbooks etc. I am very happy about the OS - and that it simply works.

Think you answered your own question...why change whats worked so well??

Ive flip-flopped between PCs and Macs on and off for the last 4-5 years...and everytime i buy i PC, i always end up getting frustrated with Winblows and end up selling it for another Mac.

Stick to what ya know and whats worked for ya!

Nobody cares about your gear list...

Moppie
15,045 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Apr 27, 2010 00:48 |  #7

Yip, if your running a network based storage system then an i7 iMac with 8GB of ram would be perfect for you. You get to keep your work flow, you don't have to learn something new and you don't have to get Windows versions of your current software.

If you plan on using the new computer for file storage as well though, then you may find the single, non-user upgradeable HDD in the iMac very limiting.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 27, 2010 01:24 |  #8

Well, lately Im a bit tired of the Apple money making schemes, a lot of repots have been on aperture 3 slowing down machines, in conjunction with 5d2/7d files I cant process on my imac anymore. (same as the built in hardware for h264 playback in laptops but not in desktops...) But on the forum there are lots of people having problems with towers. So this is what got me thinking - changing machine and workflow. but my real worry is the operating system... also looking at prices getting a good pc tower allows for a new upgrade copy of cs 5 vs just a mac.

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 27, 2010 01:37 |  #9

zincozinco wrote in post #10073386 (external link)
Well, lately Im a bit tired of the Apple money making schemes, a lot of repots have been on aperture 3 slowing down machines, in conjunction with 5d2/7d files I cant process on my imac anymore. (same as the built in hardware for h264 playback in laptops but not in desktops...) But on the forum there are lots of people having problems with towers. So this is what got me thinking - changing machine and workflow. but my real worry is the operating system... also looking at prices getting a good pc tower allows for a new upgrade copy of cs 5 vs just a mac.

I have three W7 machines, and only time any of them crashed recently was... never actually. I was forced to reboot when I tried overclocking my video card only to realize the PSU just can't handle it, but windows didn't crash. It's fast, compatible with just about any program out there (especially with XP Mode). And if you upgrade to CS5, it'll be fairly cheap since you can crossgrade at basically no cost.

You can find machines identical in specs to the 27" iMac (including screen) for about $1600-$1800 (same spec'ed iMac would be 2k to 2.2k), or you can get some upgraded components but stick to a 24" screen and pay a lot less.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 27, 2010 02:09 |  #10

if im getting a pc tower im probably looking at 22 or 24 inch, the 27 is just too much for me. if anyone could direct me to a good set up id be glad the machine around a 1000-1200 dollars.

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 27, 2010 11:03 |  #11

zincozinco wrote in post #10073494 (external link)
if im getting a pc tower im probably looking at 22 or 24 inch, the 27 is just too much for me. if anyone could direct me to a good set up id be glad the machine around a 1000-1200 dollars.

http://configure.us.de​ll.com …nn2&c=us&l=en&s​=dhs&cs=19 (external link)

Power of a mac pro or 2k+ imac for only about 1050. Can't really get much better pricing than that, unless you get lower end components.

And for monitor, http://accessories.us.​dell.com …n&s=dhs&cs=19&s​ku=2209WA3 (external link) will bring you to about 1350 total (if you can find the sales rep in the 2209WA thread, perhaps you can bring down the total to 1300)

or, you can go the 24" route (suggested) and get one http://accessories.us.​dell.com …&s=dhs&cs=19&sk​u=320-8277 (external link)

(that one would bring the total up to about 1600)

If you build your own system (then buy of of those monitors), you might be able to shave off up to 150 bucks, but then you will need to know how to diagnose your own system should anything go wrong (not that anything will before your warranty expires, but like anything including macs, there's a chance you'll run into something that breaks down)

Gear List

benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 28, 2010 13:06 |  #12

If you're after a pure video/photo powerhouse then getting a PC would be sensible. It's possible to create an extremely powerful machine on a limited budget now.
A powerful mac pro just seems extortionate to be honest.

When it comes to the OS it's more a personal thing. I use both OSX and Windows 7. The difference between OSX and win7 is a more subjective, I personally prefer the windows UI and layout, but plenty of people will think the other way.
However, what is fact is that Win7 is a lot more stable and smooth and fast than XP and especially vista. Win7 feels polished and is a pleasure to use just as OSX is.

If you're after pure power as a workstation on a limited budget and use adobe, a PC with windows 7 would be a choice I'm sure you wouldn't regret.

If you have the money, or just want to keep to photo editing and light stuff, might as well keep to Mac's if you like them!

e02937
Goldmember
2,714 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 28, 2010 13:07 |  #13

Your money is going to go a lot further on a PC from a hardware perspective and Windows 7 is an excellent, stable, easy-to-use product.

Just to keep things out in the open, I'm a PC.

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

wlescall
512 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 28, 2010 15:06 |  #14

Do not forget to consider the cost of software for the pc. Lightroom comes with Mac & PC versions. I am not sure what Adobe's policy is with the announcement of CS5.

Bill
EOS 5Dmkiii, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 mkii, 580 EX II , Canon EF 24-105 mm f/4L, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS
2 desktops & 2 laptops (PC & Mac each)
Chronon Photography (external link)

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 28, 2010 15:11 |  #15

as far as different programs go, take a look at photo mechanic (camera bits) and the regular photoshop stuff... I do almost all of my ingesting, culling, and selections through photo mechanic now instead of lightroom.

David W.

sponsored links

2,844 views & 0 likes for this thread
Might take the plunge after 12 years on apple - PC?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.