Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk 
Thread started 26 Apr 2010 (Monday) 15:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is going on in this picture?

TeenPhotog
344 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 26, 2010 15:19 |  #1

I can't figure this out. I was at a show on friday and took several shots from this same perspective. All of them have this reddish halo around the guy on the left next to the keyboardist. I didn't have a filter on or anything like that and none of the other shots had anything similar, just the ones from this angle. I don't particularly like this picture with or without the strangeness in question, I'd just like to know what that is.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Full size can be found here: http://abramowitzimage​s.zenfolio.com/img/v5/​p10557384.jpg (external link)

Canon 450D | 50 1.8 | 18-55 | 55-250 | 430ex ii | http://abramowitzimage​s.zenfolio.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,668 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 26, 2010 15:55 |  #2

might be chromatic aberration? though that's usually purple fringing w/ bright white light

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

fedaykin
312 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 26, 2010 22:31 |  #3

Was that a red light behind/above the singer on the left? Looks like chromatic aberration.

|Canon EOS Rebel XS(gripped)|Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8(non-VC)|EF 50mm f/1.8 II|EF 85mm f.1.8|Lumopro LP160 flash
My Blog (external link)
Flickr (external link)

TeenPhotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
344 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 27, 2010 14:13 |  #4

Yep, there was a red light on him. Generally isn't chromatic aberration purple or green? I understand the red light may be to blame, but it's not like there is an abundance of purple of green light in other places.

Canon 450D | 50 1.8 | 18-55 | 55-250 | 430ex ii | http://abramowitzimage​s.zenfolio.com/ (external link)

Bigmojo
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 28, 2010 05:46 |  #5

IMO its a stage light causing this. Just out of interest, did you shoot in RAW and create the JPG from that?

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,253 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 28, 2010 05:51 |  #6

TeenPhotog wrote in post #10076674 (external link)
Yep, there was a red light on him. Generally isn't chromatic aberration purple or green? I understand the red light may be to blame, but it's not like there is an abundance of purple of green light in other places.

Correct.
But remember that red light has all the other colours that make up white light removed (remember ROYGBIV - the seven colours of the rainbow that make white light).
With no other colour available, the CA (if that's what it is) is naturally going to be red.

The other possibility is it could be caused by movement in the subject whilst using a slowish shutter speed.

Regards, Phil
2019 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year - Runner Up
2018 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year
2018 CAMS (now Motorsport Australia) Gold Accredited Photographer
Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office"

TeenPhotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
344 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 28, 2010 13:49 |  #7

Bigmojo wrote in post #10080933 (external link)
IMO its a stage light causing this. Just out of interest, did you shoot in RAW and create the JPG from that?

This was converted from a RAW file, why do you ask?

philwillmedia wrote in post #10080947 (external link)
The other possibility is it could be caused by movement in the subject whilst using a slowish shutter speed.

I would agree, but I had taken several shots and this only happened to him, and they were all in relatively the same place.
Thanks guys.

moreover
63 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 29, 2010 17:10 |  #8

I'm very familiar with that situation, it's most typically caused by red stage lights. They're very common.

JessicaHughes
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 01, 2010 20:50 |  #9

I'm not educated enough in this area but it looks like the stage light. They'll like it.

Jessica Hughes
my site (external link)
blog (external link)

sponsored links

2,756 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is going on in this picture?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.