Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 30 Apr 2010 (Friday) 04:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bee - almost got stung by it

AtMostFear
139 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 30, 2010 04:06 |  #1

Hey guys, I just got a news lens and decided to go out and try it. I saw this one bee flying from one flower to another. I quickly took pictures of it, and then decided to get closer to the bee for better shots (the lens max. focal length was 105 only :(). Suddenly the bee got off the flower and chased me by circling around me. I ran back into my apartment and check the shots I took and this was the best. C&C please?

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3466/4560971613_bbf62d3fa4_b.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 7D
Exposure: 0.013 sec (1/80)
Aperture: f/7.1
Focal Length: 105 mm
ISO Speed: 100

5DII | 35L | 70-200 II | 50 1.4 | 430EXII | Gitzo GT1541T + Markins Q3T

sponsored links
vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,993 posts
Gallery: 287 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 30, 2010 04:58 |  #2

I think it is a rather charming picture - with that bee hugging the dandelion. Fairly sharp, considering the focal length and aperture. You might crop it even a little bit closer to get more detail in the frame (plenty of resolution with your camera...).
Nice shot.

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
Canon R5, 5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4 + RF70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

Fenster
500 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 30, 2010 09:03 as a reply to  @ vk2gwk's post |  #3

Nice bokeh, lighting and composition. My only mentionable gripes are the subdued colours and the amount of distracting other elements in the photograph.

Misadventures at 720nm (external link)

lens ­ pirate
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 30, 2010 11:15 |  #4

I would make some levels adjustment to bump your black levels up some, making the picture appear richer.

INSANE GEAR LIST
Sun flare.... the new selective color. JUST SAY NO

polynet
27 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 30, 2010 14:20 |  #5

i would crop out the other flowers, i think it would keep eyes focused to the bee

Hessam
63 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 30, 2010 15:17 |  #6

vk2gwk wrote in post #10094330 (external link)
I think it is a rather charming picture - with that bee hugging the dandelion. Fairly sharp, considering the focal length and aperture. You might crop it even a little bit closer to get more detail in the frame (plenty of resolution with your camera...).
Nice shot.

Hugging, humping, same thing haha.

But I agree, crop it for the bee and the dandelion.

corkneyfonz
Goldmember
2,477 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 30, 2010 17:24 |  #7

Looks very good.

My Flickr (external link)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 30, 2010 17:52 |  #8

I'd crop it a bit tighter, and don't be afraid to get close to the bee! I am assuming your 105mm is the Sigma 105mm macro lens right? Get close!

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

SuperHuman21
Goldmember
2,219 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 30, 2010 21:15 |  #9

I'm drugged outta my mind 'cause of back pain, so I can only think of one thing and that is that there's sorta a rule where the focus of the image should be further into the right-upper hand part of the shot (where the OOF flowers are). Otherwise, those flowers are distracting.

D90, 105mm f/2.8, 18-105mm DX, D-Lite 2 it (3), 32" Photoflex softbox (2), Manfrotto 3021BN w/3047 head
Arthur
-Stones and Jewelry Photographer-

teknophobia
190 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 01, 2010 01:31 |  #10

IMHO, the image could have been cropped tighter and the bess could have been on the right side of the frame as it is looking left.

"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." - Ansel Adams
All I want to do is take pretty pictures
Facebook  (external link)

sponsored links

1,861 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bee - almost got stung by it
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.