Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 May 2010 (Sunday) 00:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with FE choices

Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 02, 2010 00:31 |  #1

I just let go of my 10-22 as I wasn't using it much, However it was a GREAT lens.

I been feeling the want of a FE. The distortion seems like a lot of fun. However, more recently I noticed quite a few FEs out on the market. how do they rank in general?

I was originally looking at the tokina 10-17 as it's a one of a kind "zoom-Fish eye" also the price is very appealing! But there are other options. What do you all think? Any specific recommendations? I will be using a 7D with no plan to go full frame anytime soon.

-Andy-

sponsored links
Livinthalife
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 03, 2010 06:13 |  #2

Im down to the tokina as mentioned above, and the Samyang 8mm f3.5. Will one of these experience more flare than the other? I guess that's my only concern as both have good reviews on other areas.

-Andy-

plasticmotif
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 03, 2010 09:02 |  #3

Canon and Sigma's 15 FE are both great lenses.

Mac P.
My Zenfolio (external link) My Photo Blog (external link) My Equipment
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14172975#po​st14172975

james_in_baltimore
494 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 03, 2010 10:01 |  #4

plasticmotif wrote in post #10111839 (external link)

These are much better on full-frame though.

James Harris Photography - Weddings Portraits Events (external link)
Canon 7D, 5D Mkii, 580EX II X2, 430EX, ST-E2
24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 17-40mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.4

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 03, 2010 10:12 |  #5

plasticmotif wrote in post #10111839 (external link)

They are only moderately fishy though on a 7D and about as wide as a 12mm lens. So not terribly wide compared to the "real" crop fisheye options.

IMO, the 10-17 is a cool option because at 17mm you can have pretty much just a wide angle with some barrel distortion and at 10mm you can have all that crazy super-fisheye effect. Sigma 10mm is a great option and is a bit sharper and goes to f2.8, but then you lose out on the zoom. The Samyang 8mm fisheye is a great low-price option, but it is manual focus only (probably not a big deal as most everything will always be in focus) and it is manual aperture and AV/M mode only as well. It also isn't really an 8mm as it provides the same FOV as the AF 10mm fisheye options.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 03, 2010 11:15 |  #6

When shopping FE options for APS-C, your first question should be "do I need AF?" if you answered No, then look at the MC Peleng 8mm f/3.5 Circular Fisheye or the Samyang 8mm f/3.5 Aspherical (or any of its clones, I like my Vivitar 7mm f/3.5 version). Either can be had for under $350 and are incredibly sharp and capable for the money.

If you truly feel you need AF, if your're looking to use it wide-open and need to track subjects (such as is the case when using an FE for action sports like skateboarding) then look at the Sigma 4.5mm DC, Sigma 8mm DG, or Sigma 10mm DC. The Toki 10-17 is a wonderful lens but the Sigmas have HSM and focus lightning quick. So, if action isn't the main use... look at the Toki for its versatility. (BTW, the Toki 10-17 isn't one of a kind... It's actually a re-engineered lens based on the not-well-known SMC Pentax AF 17-28 f/3.5-4.5 Fisheye Zoom reworked for APS-C - I've been looking for one of these for a while now)

Alan "NuReality" Fronshtein
Gear List | PBase |  (external link)flickr (external link)
Lots of Fun, Lots of Laughs, Happy Trigger Finger!

Livinthalife
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 03, 2010 18:56 |  #7

Thanks everyone,
Alan, you have sent me off the deep end making the decision more difficult ;)

Still leaning toward the 10-17 because of it's versatility as mentioned by tkbslc. AF as mentioned, is not a necessity. If it is, usually the subject will be static, so I will be able to MF. The choices!

I may make a run down to the store and try it out and compare with another...Hold them decide. But I feel the 10-17 maybe it.

-Andy-

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 03, 2010 19:53 |  #8

Well I had the Tokina and it's quite awesome. I never really zoomed with it though. If you do the distortion goes away A LOT unless you are still close to the object you're shooting like this.

IMAGE: http://www.lastshotphotography.com/img/v0/p243069853-4.jpg

Aside from that I loved having it. I didn't plan on keeping it though and I sold it for the 11-16 as my new UWA so it depends on your needs. The next time I get an FE it's for good (unless I have money troubles of course) and I'll probably get the Sigma 10F2.8 as the Tokina was slow and I shot at 10 all the time anyhow.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

Livinthalife
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 03, 2010 20:24 |  #9

Thanks Aravena, I guess I will test drive the idea of having a FE by getting the 10-17. AFTER that, I will make the ultimate decision on buying a dedicated FE as recommended (Sigma 10 1.8)

-Andy-

_aravena
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 03, 2010 20:29 |  #10

Since they're roughly the same price, $100 diff, might want to consider it off hand. The sigma will still hold value but still...I knew I was selling mine. I sold my Sigma 10-20 to try the 10-17 for a couple of months and for some weddings. I didn't get to use it as much after the summer and that's when I found a deal on a 11-16 and got that over another Sigma 10-20.

Now I want the Sigma 8-16! :D and a 10F2.8 as my FE. I knew my lineup would only be Sigma! :lol They just keep coming out with the best stuff!

Last Shot Photography

Livinthalife
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 03, 2010 20:34 |  #11

Well when I head out to our local shop (currently in Tokyo). I will be able to get my hands on both. Maybe once I hold it, I may have a different opinion.

-Andy-

_aravena
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 03, 2010 20:49 |  #12

True dat! Tokyo...lucky.

Last Shot Photography

ProD1gy_KiD
895 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2009

May 03, 2010 20:51 as a reply to  @ _aravena's post |  #13

the sigma 10mm FE f/2.8 is a great FE choice for a crop sensor.

sponsored links

1,776 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help with FE choices
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.