Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 May 2010 (Sunday) 20:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

50L focus "slippage"?

datadump
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 02, 2010 20:40 |  #1

hey guys

my beloved 50L .... it feels like the focus ring is "slipping". if i slowly move the focus ring between the two extremes, i can "feel" sudden jump in the focus ring sometimes. and it happens at pretty much any place in the turn.

is this normal? i dont think this existed before on my 50L.

does this mean something insidee is busted? like uhhhm some gear teeth?

can this be fixed by canon? if so what kind of price?

thanks

datadump

sponsored links
timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 02, 2010 20:44 |  #2

I can't say I've ever noticed the same behavior with mine. Sounds like something could be amiss?

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

datadump
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 02, 2010 20:45 |  #3

i have been getting some wildly OOF shots at times... i dunno if this is the reason?

damn, this is my #1 lens.

datadump

Double ­ Negative
*sniffles*
10,523 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 03, 2010 09:53 |  #4

Sounds like something's wrong in the gearing and/or lubrication of same. Maybe some grit in the works (though this is usually more obvious in feel and sound).

La Vida Leica! (external link)LitPixel Galleries (external link) -- 1v-HS/1d Mk IIn w/E-1 & Op/Tech straps
15mm f/2.8, 14mm f/2.8L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 35mm f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L II, 135mm f/2.0L
16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, Extender EF 1.4x II & 2x II

datadump
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 03, 2010 20:15 |  #5

theres no sound.. its just... like its jumping a gear teeth or something... turn the ring, and at random spots it just jumps.

anyway i gave it to canon to take a look

datadump

Jman13
Cream of the Crop
5,558 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 03, 2010 20:54 |  #6

My 100L did this once. The focus stuck, then loosened, but with the slipping you're talking about for a short while. The next day it was back to normal and it hasn't cropped up again since. It was odd.

Jordan Steele - http://www.jordansteel​e.com (external link)
Admiring Light - http://www.admiringlig​ht.com (external link)

phreeky
Goldmember
3,471 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 03, 2010 23:28 |  #7

I've seen it on a few USM lenses. I think it is worse in more humid situations actually (purely based on them coming good after being in A/C for a while and then not doing it again).

sponsored links

897 views & 0 likes for this thread
50L focus "slippage"?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.