Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 May 2010 (Tuesday) 14:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

40D - Tips and Tricks

David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

May 04, 2010 14:44 |  #1

After watching a long video about all the settings on a 1D III, I tried this one on my 40D.

LCD Sharpness

1. Shoot in RAW, because the sharpness values set on the camera has no effect on the RAW result.
2. Select a profile, I used Neutral, and set the sharpness to its maximum. In my case - 7
3. Take shot and zoom in when you chimp. Notice the sharp look and feel in the LCD.
4. To verify, set the value to zero and repeat the shot
5. Chimp again and notice the soft look an feel when zoomed in.

I was amazed to see my 40D showing sharp results on the LCD. My neutral is now set to 7 and will stay there for the benefit of chimping.

Feel free to add more advice.

DRH

sponsored links
David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 04, 2010 14:50 |  #2

Auto Rotate

This feature is nice, but on the LCD it produces a small print. If you want to verify anything,it is required to zoom in. Only realised the other day that I have the option of selecting auto rotate only for the PC. The LCD images will not auto rotate. Yes, you need to slant\urn the camera, but that is OK for me.

Now I get a full LCD screen of shots I take with the camera turned through 90 degrees.

Maybe not that usefull, but it works for me and after a while it doesn't bother you to see the picures without any rotation on the LCD.

DRH

tiger ­ roach
340 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 04, 2010 15:36 |  #3

Cool, I'll try that sharpness thing. Seems obvious but I hadn't thought of it.

windpig
Chopped liver
15,003 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

May 04, 2010 15:52 |  #4

Cranking up the sharpness is going to skew your RGB histogram to a certain extent if you are pushing ETTR.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 04, 2010 15:55 |  #5

Just keep in mind that you're seeing the embedded JPEG in the LCD and its associated Histogram.

You will actually have a bit more headroom with the RAW file.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

vinsanityy
75 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 04, 2010 16:17 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #6

the pictures i took wont automatically pop up after i take a picture on my 40D
how do i make it do that?

cdreemz17
394 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 04, 2010 16:24 |  #7

vinsanityy wrote in post #10121286 (external link)
the pictures i took wont automatically pop up after i take a picture on my 40D
how do i make it do that?

In the menu, go to the first icon. Scroll down to review time. Select the desired amount o ftime you wish to review the picture after taking the shot.

Only one thing matters...and it's not photography. http://www.onlocationp​hotos.net (external link)

cdreemz17
394 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 04, 2010 17:34 |  #8

David Ransley wrote in post #10120757 (external link)
Auto Rotate

This feature is nice, but on the LCD it produces a small print. If you want to verify anything,it is required to zoom in. Only realised the other day that I have the option of selecting auto rotate only for the PC. The LCD images will not auto rotate. Yes, you need to slant\urn the camera, but that is OK for me.

Now I get a full LCD screen of shots I take with the camera turned through 90 degrees.

Maybe not that usefull, but it works for me and after a while it doesn't bother you to see the picures without any rotation on the LCD.

Very, EXTRA useful! This annoyed me so bad! You are the MAN.

Only one thing matters...and it's not photography. http://www.onlocationp​hotos.net (external link)

bauerman
discount on value meals
3,457 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 05, 2010 15:05 |  #9

Are we doing this because the native resolution on the 40D LCD is so nasty? 3" and only 230,000 pixels I think.

Canon really should have just increased the resolution on the larger screen on the 40D.

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 05, 2010 15:11 |  #10

Yep, same resolution as on the earlier 2" and 2.5" screens. Big pixels. But really you shouldn't need to chimp to check for sharp pictures. There isn't much to adjust on the 40D to improve the sharpness anyways, all you can do I suppose is retake the picture if it sucks.

Even the 920000 pixel screens don't really let you see the full resolution. I have one on another body and it is nicer but still isn't a substitute for a proper computer screen or better yet, a print, to see how well it will look on a screen or print.

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

bauerman
discount on value meals
3,457 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 05, 2010 15:19 |  #11

I check for critical sharpness all the time by zooming in on my 30D images.....I find the 30D screen very conducive to this activity.

David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 05, 2010 18:15 |  #12

bauerman wrote in post #10127506 (external link)
Are we doing this because the native resolution on the 40D LCD is so nasty? 3" and only 230,000 pixels I think.

Canon really should have just increased the resolution on the larger screen on the 40D.

This is why I am doing it and it helps. The imbedded JPG cracked up looks good on the LCD. It is easier now to see where the focus is sharp. Later in RAW on the PC I can change what I want at leisure.

DRH

David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 05, 2010 18:17 |  #13

hpulley wrote in post #10127538 (external link)
Yep, same resolution as on the earlier 2" and 2.5" screens. Big pixels. But really you shouldn't need to chimp to check for sharp pictures. There isn't much to adjust on the 40D to improve the sharpness anyways, all you can do I suppose is retake the picture if it sucks.

Even the 920000 pixel screens don't really let you see the full resolution. I have one on another body and it is nicer but still isn't a substitute for a proper computer screen or better yet, a print, to see how well it will look on a screen or print.

Agreed, and no arguments at all. It is now easier to see wether your depth of field is where you want it. The sharpness of the picture is better evaluated on the PC.

DRH

sponsored links

4,010 views & 0 likes for this thread
40D - Tips and Tricks
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.