Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 07 May 2010 (Friday) 01:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

so i just tore my Achilles tendon...

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 07, 2010 01:37 |  #1

And I mean JUST! I'm lying on my hospital bed now waitng for cast to dry. Thank goodness for my crackberry to pass the time. Anyways, I'm gonna make this short as I hate typing on these little keyboards. Obviously, I'm gonna OOA for a few months. Wedding season is coming up. I have about five scheduled since my business start up is reletively new. Anybody else experience a similar predicament before? I'm thinking I'm gonna have to subcontract my gigs to a peer as is stated in my contract. I just don,t know how long that can pay the bills...

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

sponsored links
Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 07, 2010 02:20 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

ironically, yes.. (external link)

and ironically, i wont give you any direct business advice (maybe someone else will, i imagine this thread will get some attention as time goes on)...because really what you do need right now is to (while understandably difficult) put all that to the back of your mind and rest up.

been out of action for 7 months now, probably 7 more to go. my left arm, i cant lift much on it and its put my neck and jaw into pretty bad shape too. all that stuff is attached i guess. the migranes and neck muscle tension and tears are what get to me the most now.

i havent really got much useful or inspiring words to say, so ill be as blunt as possible.

what you need to do is keep on trucking. find something, anything, and put all of the **** in the back of your mind (paying bills). take it as a learning experience, which right now sounds like bull**** but after the past several months ive realized it really is. i believe stuff happens for a reason, but that may be getting a bit too spiritual so ill skip that.

i also believe that dedication, vision and the willingness to see it all through is all you need to get anywhere. i also realized, just now after reading your post, that the worst possible thing you can do is stop trying, or use this as an excuse to stop trying. granted, take it easy and heal up but force yourself to express yourself even if you dont want to. once a day, write down a thought, something that inspires you.

assistants. i got offers but i have either too much pride or too little to want to take the offers up, but as a pro...you need them. budget for them, include it in your expenses, it is a necessary step.

you can, and will, get through this. dont even give the time of day to thinking about the fact that you wont, or you arent rising as fast as you thought you were, or you anre doing very well.. you tore your tendon. I know how much that hurts. it ****ing hurts.

so lastly, REST. you need it. dont over exert yourself (i did... and I found I was so screwed after that I couldnt even raise my arm past my ribcage for 2 months.) dont even try. just simply rest. plenty of water.

and take up another hobby, that will help you explore your craft in a different way. anything, find something. find something that will allow you to express yourself...it could mean developing your photography, in the long run, in a different way....granted, not right away, but when you are ready to .

completely unrelated:

(hmm..now that i look at that linked article again, my limited edition work is only available in yellowknife, (northern images). bugger thats a long overdue correction. i probably made the error too. oh well.)

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

Tarzanman
548 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 07, 2010 07:35 |  #3

Rent a wheelchair or become the best post-work/retoucher in the world?

llareggub
631 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Nov 2009

May 07, 2010 08:17 |  #4

Pearlallica wrote in post #10136923 (external link)
And I mean JUST! I'm lying on my hospital bed now waitng for cast to dry. Thank goodness for my crackberry to pass the time. Anyways, I'm gonna make this short as I hate typing on these little keyboards. Obviously, I'm gonna OOA for a few months. Wedding season is coming up. I have about five scheduled since my business start up is reletively new. Anybody else experience a similar predicament before? I'm thinking I'm gonna have to subcontract my gigs to a peer as is stated in my contract. I just don,t know how long that can pay the bills...

Youch!!! I ruptured my Achilles tendon about five years ago and after some complications I ended up spending in excess of 6 months in plaster!

Having said that life did continue, I used public transport and got to the office, and by the end had shoulders and forearms that a professional athlete would have been proud of. I think the thing that I am trying to say is that you may have to change the way you work a little but there is no need to stop, sure any work you have lined up in the very near future may need to be passed on but I see no reason why you can not work around it as the months progress.

I did not work in a sedentary job, I had to get around and found myself doing some fairly odd things in order to be able carry out my day to day tasks but it is possible.

Keep smiling and motoring on, the worst thing that will happen is that pro sports career will never materialise on the horizon!

My Website :D (external link)

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

May 09, 2010 15:15 |  #5

Tarzanman wrote in post #10137658 (external link)
Rent a wheelchair or become the best post-work/retoucher in the world?

^^^

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activities (external link)
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

images ­ by ­ Paul
346 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 09, 2010 15:54 |  #6

Had surgery on my foot ending up with a walking cast. Shot 9 weddings like that.
Don't give up the ship!! Think you can get a walking cast???

ScottKCooper
Goldmember
1,500 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 09, 2010 18:37 |  #7

Karl's legs, Pearls arms and a bunch of duct tape = 1 photographer?

sorry - hope you both get past this soon - post in the services needed section of this forum, and start reviewing portfolios, or contact the contracts and discuss things with them soon.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1276863

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 09, 2010 22:33 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

har har...;)

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,329 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 10, 2010 16:19 as a reply to  @ Karl Johnston's post |  #9

I tore my calf muscle refereeing football a few years back. Hurt like an SOB. Sorry to hear about your injury and hope you recover quickly.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 24, 2010 09:56 |  #10

haven't been on the comp' for two weeks. I've sort of lost my patience for sitting at my desk actually.

it's nice to read similar experiences like mine. It's a reminder that this is just temporary and, in the mean time, manageable. I don't think I mentioned this in the original post, but I tore my tendon on the 2nd day after we brought our new baby girl home from the hospital... a time my wife was to be resting from her own ordeal. Our baby is now three weeks old, and with a 2 and 3 year old boy, life has been very.... interesting... since these events have all transpired. ;)

I've been very active actually. I've been getting out with the crutches and walking to and through the park. Actually volunteering to join my wife at the mall and the grocery store!! Doc says to take it easy, but I say what's the point? My foot has been babied, my arms and 1 working leg do all the work. I haven't stood on it. The foot feels great. My surgery was 12 days ago. I was out at Costco shopping with my wife only two hours after my surgery was completed. After the morphine wore off, I was on the couch for 2 days... hehe.

I did a wedding on the weekend. I hired a fellow photographer to handle the closer 24-70mm range stuff. I handled the 70-200mm work since I didn't want to attract too much attention hobbling around on the crutches. The portrait session was actually really easy. Getting shots low from the ground was somewhat tricky. And those with the cam held over the head while balancing on one foot were tricky. Working the reception was a breeze since I was being powered my pure adrenaline by that point. You can believe I felt it all over my body the next morning. It was an 11 hour work day on those things.. hands are bruised up, but they are feeling fine 2 days later. I think having been a bodybuilder (and quiting my bodybuilding career a year and a half ago) was a big contributor to my strength and stamina. I have about 6 more weddings beginning mid-August, which works out great because my need for crutches may be unnecessary then (crossing fingers).

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

sponsored links

2,204 views & 0 likes for this thread
so i just tore my Achilles tendon...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.