Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 08 May 2010 (Saturday) 11:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who choses photo location?

Milla
283 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 08, 2010 11:19 |  #1

(This goes for portrait sessions too)

I'm genuinely curious about this. I have a wedding coming up and it seems to have been left in my hands to find a photo location between the ceremony and reception. Now I have no problem giving a few suggestions of nice places, or if they ask for my advice, but it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth that it seems to be left all up to me.

I get this a lot with portrait sessions too.

Them:
"I'd like to do portraits at really rustic farm!"

Me:
"Great! I don't know of any farms in town, but if you find one, I'd love to shoot you and your family! With permission of course"

Them:
"You mean, you can't find us one?"

So is it my job to find a location? If I remember correctly, when I got married it was up to me to find a photo location!

Thoughts?

Blog! (external link)Twitter! (external link)

sponsored links
CJM ­ Photography
726 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 08, 2010 11:24 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Milla wrote in post #10144261 (external link)
(This goes for portrait sessions too)

I'm genuinely curious about this. I have a wedding coming up and it seems to have been left in my hands to find a photo location between the ceremony and reception. Now I have no problem giving a few suggestions of nice places, or if they ask for my advice, but it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth that it seems to be left all up to me.

I get this a lot with portrait sessions too.

Them:
"I'd like to do portraits at really rustic farm!"

Me:
"Great! I don't know of any farms in town, but if you find one, I'd love to shoot you and your family! With permission of course"

Them:
"You mean, you can't find us one?"

So is it my job to find a location? If I remember correctly, when I got married it was up to me to find a photo location!

Thoughts?

TOTALLY NOT your responsibility, what do they think you are a wedding planner? now maybe they think you know of good locations but you are not required to.

Canon T1i- gripped - 70-200 F4L IS - 430exII - Lowepro Fastpack 350
Flick (external link)r

images ­ by ­ Paul
346 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 08, 2010 12:48 |  #3

I find couples constantly ask for nice places to shoot their outside stuff. I think that their thoughts are that we (photographers) do this all the time and should know places to go.
I'm frequently asked to pick someplace to go between the ceremony and the reception, simply because they don't have a clue where to go or what would look nice. Now some couples know from the jump that they want a particular location but that isn't usually the norm.
Do I think it's my responsibility? No but I do feel like they have put their trust in me to give them beautiful images and I would rather choose the location than risk them stipulating a not so photogenic spot.

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 08, 2010 12:51 |  #4

CJM Photography wrote in post #10144277 (external link)
TOTALLY NOT your responsibility, what do they think you are a wedding planner? now maybe they think you know of good locations but you are not required to.

While CJM is right, I don't think it's as clear cut as that. I have a relationship that allows me to use the mansion and campus of my alma mater. I also know about an arboretum near me that can be a beautiful setting as well as what's involved in gaining access. You should have a collection of suitable locations around your area to offer your clients as a first offering. Now if they're looking for something more specific like a rustic barn instead, then it requires a little more responsibility and engagement on their part.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

RT ­ McAllister
973 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 08, 2010 12:54 |  #5

We (the guys I shoot for) always pick the locations. It's expected.

Why would you allow a client to decorate your studio?

bnlearle
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 08, 2010 13:09 |  #6

I think your example is great -- but it's a portrait example ;) It works well with portraits, but not with weddings.

If a family wanted family photos at a specific place, they can tell me where they want them specifically (unless they say "the beach" or something super vague -- in which I'll suggest a beach I prefer to shoot at).

However, for a wedding day? It's OUR job as photographers to figure that out. And to be honest, I would hate it the other way around (client suggesting where to shoot) :)

Bobby

San Diego Wedding Photographer (blog) (external link)
Twitter (external link) -- Facebook (external link)
the Raddest Photo Trip Ever!!! (external link)

Come on the next one Dec 6th-19th 2010!!!!!

twitter (external link) // facebook (external link)
Website (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photographer blog (external link)

Milla
THREAD ­ STARTER
283 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 08, 2010 13:27 |  #7

images by Paul wrote in post #10144631 (external link)
I find couples constantly ask for nice places to shoot their outside stuff. I think that their thoughts are that we (photographers) do this all the time and should know places to go.
I'm frequently asked to pick someplace to go between the ceremony and the reception, simply because they don't have a clue where to go or what would look nice. Now some couples know from the jump that they want a particular location but that isn't usually the norm.
Do I think it's my responsibility? No but I do feel like they have put their trust in me to give them beautiful images and I would rather choose the location than risk them stipulating a not so photogenic spot.

Yep, fair enough, but would you spend a few hours driving around looking for locations? This is what they're expecting me to do- scout locations for them. I have NO problem with them saying "We want to go to xyz beach between the ceremony and location" and if I don't know what beach that is, I'll scope it out before the day. That to me is part of the job. Then from there I can give it the go ahead or maybe suggest another location if it's not suitable. But to just be driving around looking for places is (what I feel) a waste of my time and gas. If they want to pick me up and drive me around to look for places I'd be up for that!

Blog! (external link)Twitter! (external link)

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 08, 2010 15:25 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

simple. ask them to take you.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 08, 2010 18:10 |  #9

Milla wrote in post #10144792 (external link)
Yep, fair enough, but would you spend a few hours driving around looking for locations?

unless it's a destination wedding, I think it's part of your job to know photogenic locations near you/the ceremony.

It's ridiculous for a non-photographer (i.e. not a professional) to pick where the photos will be taken at. I

Clients usually say to me some variation of " We have no idea where good photo spots are. Where are good locations?"

I could never say something like "It's up to you. You pick all the spots."

I think it tends to undermine your professionalism to leave it all up to them...

Twitter (external link)
Hobart Wedding Photography (external link)
I have some camera stuff. Here it is.

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

May 08, 2010 20:50 as a reply to  @ PMCphotography's post |  #10

If I've worked the area before, I'll already know where some good locations are. If not, and the B&G ask me to pick a place, I'll just use Google to find a park nearby (if I've found, also via Google Images, that the area immediately surrounding the venue is lacking, photographically). When you think about it, the locations aren't as important as the couple themselves. Not that I'm saying shooting in a completely crappy location is okay, but more that the photos should be taken with the B&G filling most of the frame; using a wide aperture can make any greenery look parklike and exotic if you need it to. If they're wanting someplace that has its own cachet, they'll have either already told me about it, or that place IS the venue.

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 08, 2010 20:58 |  #11

PhotoMatte wrote in post #10146477 (external link)
...When you think about it, the locations aren't as important as the couple themselves. Not that I'm saying shooting in a completely crappy location is okay...

Said by the photographer from one of the most beautiful and picturesque locations in the world :)

Are there even any crappy locations near Crater Lake?

Twitter (external link)

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 08, 2010 21:02 |  #12

images by Paul wrote in post #10144631 (external link)

what he said.

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 08, 2010 21:08 |  #13

PMCphotography wrote in post #10146510 (external link)
Said by the photographer from one of the most beautiful and picturesque locations in the world :)

Are there even any crappy locations near Crater Lake?

Lol, there's always Medford....

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 08, 2010 21:08 |  #14

PhotoMatte wrote in post #10146547 (external link)
Lol, there's always Medford....

bw!

Twitter (external link)

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 08, 2010 21:23 |  #15

As a caveat to any folks from Medford out there who might be reading this post: errr, I meant Avenue G in White City...

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

1,701 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who choses photo location?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.