Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 May 2010 (Saturday) 12:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

85mm f/1.8 vs. 35mm f/2.0

Nistelrooydude
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 08, 2010 12:33 |  #1

I'm going to pick up a new lens today and I've narrowed it down to these two. My lineup is currently lacking a good prime and anything faster than f/2.8. I can easily use either of these focal lengths, so that's not a deciding factor. I'd really appreciate any input from anyone who has used both these lenses (preferably on a crop body). My other lenses are the 24-70L, 70-200 f/4L IS, Zeiss 135mm f/2.8, and 50mm Compact Macro.

Thanks for your input

St1ll
254 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 08, 2010 12:43 |  #2

It looks like you actually need something short, but I wouldn't go for a 35mm f2...
You have the 24-70, and I don't think it's worth buying anything slower than 1.4.
So, if the 35L is too expensive, you can go for the sigma 30 1.4 (as far as you get a good sample)

Anyway, 85 is a great lens too...it's just a matter of mm. I have no idea of the FL that fits best your needs!

Luca

Flickr (external link) Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L - Canon EF 135 f/2 L - Σ 50 f/1.4 EX

That_Fox
"In the Witless Protection Program"
1,386 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 08, 2010 12:46 |  #3

I've used the L counterparts of the lenses that you're considering and found that on a crop body I much prefer the 35mm focal length. I've found that between the two focal lengths I'm much more likely to pick up the 35mm because it works in so many circumstances.

Apparently I've been dubbed Foxy.
Alamy (external link), website (external link) and gear

supracuhz
393 posts
Joined May 2009

May 08, 2010 15:07 |  #4

The 35mm is loud, but it is tack sharp (at least on my copy), and I keep it on my camera about 60% of the time.

Gear List + Transactions

artyH
Goldmember
2,113 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 08, 2010 16:06 |  #5

I have both. The 85 is better outside, where you have more light. In my house, I find that I need to bump the ISO up to 3200 get adequate shutter speeds with the 85.
On my XS, the 35f2 seemed sharper. I just got a T2i, and the 85 is better than it was, and seems a little sharper than the 35 (on the T2i). Indoors, the problem is space and lighting. The 35 shines inside, and is equally useful stopped down.
The shorter focal length is more useful indoors and in a wider variety of situations. The 85 is a nice lens, with good contrast and is certainly sharp.
You will use the 35 more than the 85 - I think.
I attached a couple of shots. The runners were taken with the 85 on the XS.
The street shot was with the 35 on the T2i.
Both shots were cropped and resized, but are jpegs out of the cameras.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,651 views & 0 likes for this thread
85mm f/1.8 vs. 35mm f/2.0
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.