Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 08 May 2010 (Saturday) 18:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

people that live a lie (copyright infringement etc)

dwarfcow
640 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 08, 2010 18:13 |  #1

So what goes through the minds of people who take pictures and pretend they are theirs, or worse, pretend the person pictured in a picture is themselves?

I have met a few people like this, most recently its someone who puts up very interesting pictures and glamor shots, of models who's faces are obscured, and then claims that they are in fact her. as well as pictures of fake trips that she never went on, and images of animals she claims to have taken on trips that are obviously not hers (some amazing work in some cases, that were technically perfect as far as composure and focus, that she could never do with her point and shoot)

other times its just stupid things she finds online and pretends are part of her life, i.e. most recently a picture of a sheet of paper she claimed was a sushi bar receipt (she's not that bright either)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i32.photobucket​.com …s/d24/akkell85/​wtfbre.jpg (external link)

/rant discuss.

edit: the name she has on facebook is not her real name btw.. it is also fictitious (though claims it isn't)

"Evidently the photo shop at the college I go to is one of the best in the country. They actually have a handful of digital medium format cameras for students to use; Haliburtons, or hasslehoffs, or something like that."
-name withheld to protect dignity.
Toys

sponsored links
Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 08, 2010 18:16 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

you sound like you don't like this person at all, so why are you friends with them? more over, why do you care?

i know i wouldn't.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

dwarfcow
THREAD ­ STARTER
640 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 08, 2010 18:19 |  #3

Karl Johnston wrote in post #10145964 (external link)
you sound like you don't like this person at all, so why are you friends with them? more over, why do you care?

i know i dont.

Well, I don't really like or dislike her, she's my brother's girlfriend actually. So, her crap just kind of flows into our little bubble ever so often.

I guess it bothers me that she steals other people's work and claims it as her own, perhaps it doesn't bother some people, but its kind of our livelihood (though she hasn't dared to steal anything from us yet)

"Evidently the photo shop at the college I go to is one of the best in the country. They actually have a handful of digital medium format cameras for students to use; Haliburtons, or hasslehoffs, or something like that."
Toys

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 08, 2010 18:24 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

use the DMCA notice on facebook if you believe its copyright infringement. they will take it down, but i think it has to be your infringement that they are infringing (not sure about that but I often see it a lot with people's portraits that i do and they put them on facebook while cropping or cloning out the watermark)

if you search on google: DMCA facebook
you should find it

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

dwarfcow
THREAD ­ STARTER
640 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 08, 2010 18:41 as a reply to  @ Karl Johnston's post |  #5

"DMCA Notice of Copyright Infringement

Name:
Mailing Address:
Telephone:
E-Mail:

(Note that we routinely provide your contact information to the user that posted the content you are reporting)

Identify the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed.

Identify the content on our site that you claim infringes your copyright.

Where does the infringing content appear on our site? Please provide URLs to help us locate the content you are reporting.

How does the content infringe your rights?**

By submitting this notice, you declare that you have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted content described above, in the manner you have complained of, is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law. You also declare that the information in this notice is accurate. And finally, you declare under penalty of perjury, that you are the owner or authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive copyright that is allegedly infringed."

Basically the original copyright owner has to complain, and i don't know who they are. its just worded so that facebook is in compliance, and so they can't be anonymously submitted, so no one will use it, and they don't have to deal with it.

from Q&A

Can I report the infringement of someone else's intellectual property rights?
If you are not the IP owner (or the authorized representative of the owner) you cannot report a suspected infringement to us. If you believe that content on the Facebook website violates another party's IP, you should advise the rights owner directly.

Toys

k8et
251 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 10, 2010 10:42 as a reply to  @ dwarfcow's post |  #6

I was friends with someone who was a compulsive liar, and this sounds very similar. I would be concerned for your brother, as my friend swore that was in her past and it was only ever small "white" lies, but eventually I was around her enough that she would tell stories of something we experienced together, and she changed the facts around.

I found this forum helpful in learning more about it - http://www.psychforums​.com/compulsive-lying/ (external link)

If she lies this easily and often, and is good at weasling her way out when people catch her, I suspect there's a much bigger issue underneath. However, it is a mental illness, and may be tricky getting her or your brother to understand that she may need help. (I'm not a profressional and may be way off base here, this is just my experience/POV.)

Flickr (snapshots) - k8et (external link)
Portfolio - Katie Gould Photography (external link)
Canon Rebel XTi, 18-55mm kit lens, 50mm 1.8 lens, 55-250 F/4-5.6 IS, Sigma 18-50mm f2.8, 430EXII & 580EXII flashes
Lomography film cameras: Fisheye and Colorsplash

culturejam
209 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 10, 2010 11:58 as a reply to  @ k8et's post |  #7

That particular photo you did a screen shot of...

Are you sure this person isn't trying to be funny? The paper clearly says "Yatzy" at the top. I actually saw the caption and looked at the photo and then laughed because I read it as an *obvious* joke.

Just sayin'

www.tightcamera.com

goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 10, 2010 12:06 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Simplest answer is because they have no morals. A fake name I understand because they want to be on facebook, but not their real name in case they're looking for a job. But to swipe a photo and claim it as your own shows they don't care about morals.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 10, 2010 12:07 |  #9

k8et wrote in post #10154088 (external link)
If she lies this easily and often, and is good at weasling her way out when people catch her, I suspect there's a much bigger issue underneath. However, it is a mental illness, and may be tricky getting her or your brother to understand that she may need help. (I'm not a profressional and may be way off base here, this is just my experience/POV.)

anyone else watch "How I met your mother"? this sounds exactly like Teds old girlfriend Karen lol

David W.

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 10, 2010 12:09 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Yahtzee just needs a bit of salt to taste good....

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

squashed
Goldmember
4,273 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Oct 2006

May 10, 2010 12:10 |  #11

I would say don't worry about her. Worry about your brother.

Done with Numbers. Own the X and the R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

Josepi
281 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 10, 2010 13:09 |  #12

File that one under:

People to avoid ever associating with.

PS. Facebook is herpes to civilization.

e02937
Goldmember
2,714 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 10, 2010 13:12 |  #13

meh...

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

dwarfcow
THREAD ­ STARTER
640 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 10, 2010 13:14 |  #14

Josepi wrote in post #10154915 (external link)
PS. Facebook is herpes to civilization.

your don't gotta convince me of that one man bw!

Toys

canonjuke
94 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 11, 2010 03:40 |  #15

sounds like a personality problem

sponsored links

2,584 views & 0 likes for this thread
people that live a lie (copyright infringement etc)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.