Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 09 May 2010 (Sunday) 21:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would it be possible to make a living doing this?

qwerty11
51 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 09, 2010 21:09 |  #1

So I love to travel.

Lets just say theoretically I have an innate ability to take beautiful photos of landscapes, cities, people in cities, and natural wonders. How likely would it be that I could sell these to bring in enough income to live on and pay for travels?

sponsored links
photoPanda
616 posts
Joined May 2010

May 09, 2010 21:15 |  #2

Very unlikely. It's a hugely competitive market for that sort of thing - just like travel writing. Often you have to both write and take photos to get yourself published.

There's a ton of info out there on the 'net and in books on this sort of thing... if it really is your passion you may end up making it work but it would be a long, hard road.

tim
Light Bringer
50,999 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 09, 2010 21:38 |  #3

Very unlikely. Who's do you plan to sell these photos to? Have you ever purchased one yourself?

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

liam5100
944 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 09, 2010 22:26 |  #4

I have a few friends that do pretty well doing that style shooting and working the craft show circuits. Lots of hours, but I think they make a modest living from it.

Personally I've found to make a living with my camera requires many multiple small income streams from it.

Bill -
Equipment : Quaker Oatmeal box with a little tiny hole in it... and a 400 2.8

EmmaRose
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 10, 2010 12:54 |  #5

Maybe you could travel through a magazine, maybe even together with a writer?

Gear. Flickr. (external link)

mhart008
115 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 10, 2010 15:26 |  #6

There is a guy locally who travels quite a bit doing street portraits internationally, these trips are financed through his studio where he does portrait/commercial work.

I would love travel and take photos as well, it is something I am working towards. Start small to build your portfolio and writing, then you can present to magazines and work your way up. Good luck.

Hartman
60D, 40D, Kit Lens, Nifty Fifty, 55-250mm IS, Canon 550EX, and more.
Flickr (external link)http://www.flickr.com/​photos/matt_hartman/ (external link)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 10, 2010 17:32 |  #7

tim wrote in post #10151545 (external link)
Very unlikely. Who's do you plan to sell these photos to? Have you ever purchased one yourself?

I have two

one of the great wall and one of guilin

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 10, 2010 22:36 |  #8

the secret to making a living at any type of work that has a ton of competition is this
1-build a stellar reputation
2- Develop a beautiful portfolio
3- Develop a unique technique
4- Have a great presence.
Then charge newbie photographers 5k a piece to teach them how to shoot in gorgeous places just like you do.

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,615 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 10, 2010 22:38 |  #9

easiest way is to work on a cruise ship

Gearlist

Billo78
351 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 11, 2010 02:09 |  #10

Like Tim said you need to think who's going to buy these photos, and why they would pay you the thousands of dollars it takes to live and travel on when they can get a subscription to a stock website where there are virtually limitless photos for significantly less than they would pay you.

The think with weddings is that you've got 1 chance to get it right so there will always be people prepared to pay a premium to ensure they get a pro and the moment is not lost, the same applies for a commercial shoot where they're getting models and all sorts of other stuff lines up for the day. Travel photography is a different ballgame altogether, there's no risk associated with purchasing cheap stock images because you can see exactly what you're buying before you part with your cash, and there will ALWAYS be thousands of amazingly talented amateur travel photographers happy to get paid next to nothing to see their photo in a magazine or ad.

I'm saying in 2010 it's borderline impossible to achieve what you're suggesting. Maybe you could carve a niche as a fine art artist and sell limited quantities of your images to cashed up art lovers, but it's not going to be easy.

Photography Blog (external link)
Adelaide Based Wedding Photographer (external link)

Gear: 5D2, 40D, 580 EX II, 430 EX II, Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 18-200 OS

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 11, 2010 02:12 |  #11

zagiace wrote in post #10158288 (external link)
the secret to making a living at any type of work that has a ton of competition is this
1-build a stellar reputation
2- Develop a beautiful portfolio
3- Develop a unique technique
4- Have a great presence.
Then charge newbie photographers 5k a piece to teach them how to shoot in gorgeous places just like you do.

Or skip all of the above and develop a marketing ability that rivals PT Barnum to the point that you could sell a drowning man a glass of water!

Anything can be sold provided you can convince a buyer to buy!

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Fstop-Ian
329 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 02, 2010 00:46 |  #12

qwerty11 wrote in post #10151374 (external link)
So I love to travel.

Lets just say theoretically I have an innate ability to take beautiful photos of landscapes, cities, people in cities, and natural wonders. How likely would it be that I could sell these to bring in enough income to live on and pay for travels?

Old post but thought is was worth mentioning... of course you can do this and many people do, I am pretty surprised how many people think it is not possible. But just realize that 90% of your dream job is actually hustling your work to the right outlets. The images will be easy part.

Read books, many out there with good advice. Also the ability to write will heavily increase your success.

If you have support related questions regarding F-Stop Gear, please email an@fstopgear.com (external link) or visit www.fstopgear.com (external link)

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 02, 2010 00:51 as a reply to  @ Fstop-Ian's post |  #13

OP asked how likely.
While it's certainly possible and there are shooters who are doing it (Rick Sammons comes to mind for me), I don't think it's likely.

I hear fine art and travel photography is very hard to break into, so while it's doable, I would think it's hard to get into it.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

Rekkon
83 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 02, 2010 02:29 as a reply to  @ Tee Why's post |  #14

I think your best option is to identify a target market somehow that will fit in with your travelling.

Rob
7D
400D
70-200 2.8L

sponsored links

3,148 views & 0 likes for this thread
Would it be possible to make a living doing this?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.