Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 May 2010 (Sunday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cheapest Canon Camera that I can control via Desktop PC

yuriyo923
Goldmember
2,284 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 09, 2010 21:46 |  #1

I'm looking for a camera that I can connect to a laptop/desktop and be able to see and compost the shot on the screen and not thru the view finder.. What is the first model I can do that with?

Thanks!

Canon 5D2 ~ 40D + 17-50mm in da booth!
www.seattleboothrental​.com (external link)

sponsored links
Downs ­ Photography
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 09, 2010 21:50 |  #2

Any EOS Camera. The software comes in the box with your camera is called EOS Utility. Unless you bought it used you might can go to canon website and download it

| 5D mark III | 5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L |Canon 24-105L | Canon 70-200L 2.8L IS II | Sigma 35 1.4 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Sigma 85 1.4 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Gear
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Downs ­ Photography
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 09, 2010 21:52 |  #3

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=eFXHpjFekII (external link)

| 5D mark III | 5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L |Canon 24-105L | Canon 70-200L 2.8L IS II | Sigma 35 1.4 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Sigma 85 1.4 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Gear
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

nate42nd
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 09, 2010 21:55 |  #4

There is also software (possibly freeware or shareware) you can get. If I can find it I will post it here. I don't have time now, but search for it. It's out there....I have seen it. You may be able to use a cheaper model, but the EOS line would be the best bet. Good luck

7D - - 17-55 F/2.8 - 24-105 F/4L - 100mm F/2.8 - 50mm F/1.8 - S95 / To see all click here
My Flickr (external link)

NJ.Murphy
91 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 09, 2010 22:19 |  #5

yuriyo923 wrote in post #10151586 (external link)
I'm looking for a camera that I can connect to a laptop/desktop and be able to see and compost the shot on the screen and not thru the view finder.. What is the first model I can do that with?

Thanks!

I'm gonna assume you meant compose, not compost.

Using the EOS capture utility will let you operate the camera from your computer; you still need to compose the image through the viewfinder.

BUT, since I don't have any SLRs with Live View, I don't know if composing the image can be done on the computer with such a camera.

Hopefully someone will be along to confirm this or correct me.

Talking Pictures (external link)

griptape
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 09, 2010 22:38 |  #6

I recall being able to control my old Canon S3 with the included remote capture utility. So it isn't just SLR's.

94GTStang
234 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 09, 2010 22:45 |  #7

griptape wrote in post #10151843 (external link)
I recall being able to control my old Canon S3 with the included remote capture utility. So it isn't just SLR's.

This.

I believe my S5 did the same thing

Canon S100 : Canon T2i : Sigma 17-50 2.8 : EF 70-200 f4 L : 50mm 1.8 : Sigma 10-20 : 40mm 2.8 : 430EXii

Jim_T
Goldmember
3,304 posts
Joined Nov 2003

May 09, 2010 22:56 |  #8

You can use the EOS Utility supplied with the 7D to shoot tethered..

When in 'Live Mode', you can see what the camera sees in real time displayed on the computer screen.. The live view sent from from the camera to the computer screen is a little jerky, but it's good enough to compose shots.

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 09, 2010 23:03 as a reply to  @ Jim_T's post |  #9

I use Breeze Systems (external link)software, different versions for DSLR and point and shoots. They have lists of what will work.

yuriyo923
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,284 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 09, 2010 23:22 |  #10

Blockburner28 wrote in post #10151604 (external link)
Any EOS Camera. The software comes in the box with your camera is called EOS Utility. Unless you bought it used you might can go to canon website and download it

I have tried that, but I need to be able to see and Compose the shot on my PC screen.. not just operate the Camera!

Same as above.. need to see the shot live on the screen

NJ.Murphy wrote in post #10151764 (external link)
I'm gonna assume you meant compose, not compost.

Using the EOS capture utility will let you operate the camera from your computer; you still need to compose the image through the viewfinder.

BUT, since I don't have any SLRs with Live View, I don't know if composing the image can be done on the computer with such a camera.

Hopefully someone will be along to confirm this or correct me.

Sorry... :oops: Wow.. Yes COMPOSE!!!

Jim_T wrote in post #10151927 (external link)
You can use the EOS Utility supplied with the 7D to shoot tethered..

When in 'Live Mode', you can see what the camera sees in real time displayed on the computer screen.. The live view sent from from the camera to the computer screen is a little jerky, but it's good enough to compose shots.

Yes want do do something like that but not with the 7d... I was hoping I could do that with XT or XTI... 40D maybe..

TroyRaymond wrote in post #10151962 (external link)
I use Breeze Systems (external link)software, different versions for DSLR and point and shoots. They have lists of what will work.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

yuriyo923
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,284 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 09, 2010 23:26 |  #11

YES.. Looks like this would work with XT or XTI.... for $129

I'm gonna reasearch this option... Anyone knows of any other option?

TroyRaymond wrote in post #10151962 (external link)

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 10, 2010 00:06 as a reply to  @ yuriyo923's post |  #12

I mainly use their PSremote with an A640 on a 40' mast.

I have an XT, The XTI is the first camera that has live video out. Not sure if the XT will show a live preview since it only shows the shot on the screen after the image is taken. The XTI with the 'video out' allows me to go wireless if needed with a downlink monitor.

Another consideration, the software will allow you to save to the camera and/or the computer. I would save to the camera because of the time needed to transfer the image. Also, when writing to the computer, the image is stripped of EXIF data, but will retain the data on the CF card. When using programs like PTgui to stitch images together it needs the EXIF data. Lens distortion correction software also needs the EXIF data.

EDIT: the XSi is the first to have "live view".

yuriyo923
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,284 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 10, 2010 00:14 |  #13

Really good tips here... Thanks for sharing.

Their website says that XT and even 300D will work, I want to give it a try..

TroyRaymond wrote in post #10152220 (external link)

I have an XT, The XTI is the first camera that has live video out. Not sure if the XT will show a live preview since it only shows the shot on the screen after the image is taken. The XTI with the 'video out' allows me to go wireless if needed with a downlink monitor.

Another consideration, the software will allow you to save to the camera and/or the computer. I would save to the camera because of the time needed to transfer the image. Also, when writing to the computer, the image is stripped of EXIF data, but will retain the data on the CF card. When using programs like PTgui to stitch images together it needs the EXIF data. Lens distortion correction software also needs the EXIF data.

yuriyo923
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,284 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 10, 2010 00:18 |  #14

I don't yet have XT or XTi.. Do you mind downloading thier trial version of the DSLP Pro and try how it would work on your XT?

quik28
64 posts
Joined May 2010

May 10, 2010 01:28 |  #15

What sort of photography requires a 40 foot mast?

sponsored links

3,683 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cheapest Canon Camera that I can control via Desktop PC
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.