Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 10 May 2010 (Monday) 09:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Facebook as a marketing tool

Borna ­ C
142 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 10, 2010 09:02 |  #1

500 million people is not a small market to overlook. I see a lot of photogs lately opening fan pages or similar on facebook, and since I was talked into opening one (external link)yesterday, I was hoping we could share some good ideas about improving business trough facebook.

Canon 40D + grip, Canon 400D + grip, 430EX flash, YN-460 x 3, RF-602 triggers
Canon 50mm 1.4, Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, Sigma 55-200 f/4.0-5.6
web-site (external link) facebook (external link)http://fotoidijot.blog​er.hr (external link)

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,856 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

May 10, 2010 09:09 |  #2

Well 100 million are of those are probably photographer so I would think the shotgun approach to marketing is not the way I would want to get clients. I don't want clients that would hire a photographer from facebook. I think if you're serious about marketing your talents the time and effort would be better spent with a more targeted approach. Thats my 2 cents.

js09
646 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 10, 2010 09:16 |  #3

airfrogusmc wrote in post #10153645 (external link)
Well 100 million are of those are probably photographer so I would think the shotgun approach to marketing is not the way I would want to get clients. I don't want clients that would hire a photographer from facebook. I think if you're serious about marketing your talents the time and effort would be better spent with a more targeted approach. Thats my 2 cents.

?????????

5D Mark III x3
16-35 f/4L, 24L, 35L, 50L, 24-70L II, 135L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS
600EX-RT's + Elinchrom Ranger Quadra's
Modern weddings & engagements in Washington DC
www.jeffsimpsonphoto.c​om (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 10, 2010 09:21 |  #4

airfrogusmc wrote in post #10153645 (external link)

It's not a shotgun approach. Many of the friends on my fb profile are kids from the local high schools - they'll be needing senior portraits, prom photos, and probably even wedding/baby pics in the not too distant future. That's about as targeted as you can get and it's a helluva lot more effective than pay per click keyword ads, sandwich boards, and flyers on windshields. I only shot my first kid on Thursday and I'm already getting swamped with more session requests. :)

If you're already entrenched in the corporate niche, fb isn't for you. BUT it's perfect for those of us doing consumer/retail photography.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Borna ­ C
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 10, 2010 09:23 |  #5

Obviously, nobody is counting on making a living from a facebook page. but I'd put it in the same group as having a blog, twitter or youtube channel. Of course you're not going to search youtube for a photographer to hire, but people like that kind of things.

Specially if you're not marketing yourself in the top niche. For example, I work a lot with demo bands (Ones that don't have a contract yet, I'm not sure about the terminology), and my competitive edge is that they get a fair price considering that I can shoot them in less time, with less equipment and deliver less pics in the end than I would for a full blown band. On the other side, they don't have the budget to cover a 'real' shoot, so they wouldn't hire a photog at all with the prices the inflexible competition is quoting. And these guys can't get to know you unless you're somehow present on the web. So of course I'm not counting for clients who go to facebook and search "photographer", but the people who'll be looking for a photog and remember that they once saw something great on there.

web-site (external link) facebook (external link)http://fotoidijot.blog​er.hr (external link)

sevillafox
I'm good with pathetic! Really, I am.
25,223 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 10, 2010 09:42 |  #6

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=836046

Tiffany
hopeless smooshoholic......I smoosh!

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,856 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

May 10, 2010 09:45 |  #7

cdifoto wrote in post #10153703 (external link)
It's not a shotgun approach. Many of the friends on my fb profile are kids from the local high schools - they'll be needing senior portraits, prom photos, and probably even wedding/baby pics in the not too distant future. That's about as targeted as you can get and it's a helluva lot more effective than pay per click keyword ads, sandwich boards, and flyers on windshields. I only shot my first kid on Thursday and I'm already getting swamped with more session requests. :)

If you're already entrenched in the corporate niche, fb isn't for you. BUT it's perfect for those of us doing consumer/retail photography.

So how many weddings are you doing a year? At what price point?

You're right, in the type of work I do facebook is useless and if I were still shooting weddings I would certainly have a much different approach.

Borna ­ C
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 10, 2010 09:49 |  #8

airfrogusmc wrote in post #10153806 (external link)

The wedding isn't going to come trough facebook, the customer that you are yet to delight by the senior portrait will. and after that, you know a great photog, why change that when someone needs to shoot your wedding?

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 10, 2010 09:49 |  #9

I immediately thought of your thread but couldn't find it. Thanks! :D

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 10, 2010 09:52 |  #10

airfrogusmc wrote in post #10153806 (external link)

You're right, in the type of work I do facebook is useless and if I were still shooting weddings I would certainly have a much different approach.

Do you want to see my tax returns too? :rolleyes:

I'm 28 and shooting people my own age and younger. If it was a waste of time, I wouldn't do it. ;)

Having said that, it's bigger with portraits than with weddings (see below).

Borna C wrote in post #10153825 (external link)
The wedding isn't going to come trough facebook, the customer that you are yet to delight by the senior portrait will. and after that, you know a great photog, why change that when someone needs to shoot your wedding?

I have gotten a few weddings through it too actually. Add & tag. Same approach. A wedding package is a bigger purchase though so I wouldn't expect to get as much work as quickly as I am with seniors and prom photos.

Borna ­ C
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 10, 2010 09:55 |  #11

would you mind posting a link just to get a general idea of what you are doing from a marketing perspective?

sevillafox
I'm good with pathetic! Really, I am.
25,223 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 10, 2010 09:56 |  #12

Borna, I posted a link to a thread discussing how I market to high school seniors using facebook above. Hope it helps. :)

Tiffany
hopeless smooshoholic......I smoosh!

Borna ­ C
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 10, 2010 10:00 |  #13

I read that thread some time ago, I think I'm currently two pages behind or something. It is very useful, but we don't have a senior portrait market over here. It's just not something people do, so I was looking for more generic advice in terms of using facebook to your advantage, instead of b***ing about how someone 'stole' your photo for his profile picture or how the compression algorithm is killing you

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 10, 2010 10:03 |  #14

Borna C wrote in post #10153880 (external link)
I read that thread some time ago, I think I'm currently two pages behind or something. It is very useful, but we don't have a senior portrait market over here. It's just not something people do, so I was looking for more generic advice in terms of using facebook to your advantage, instead of b***ing about how someone 'stole' your photo for his profile picture or how the compression algorithm is killing you

Hey don't make fun of me. I still hate the compression algorithm. :lol:

Borna ­ C
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 10, 2010 10:06 |  #15

okay, everybody hates the compression algorithm, but I guess it's still better than having one of three people not see the picture because it got lost in a server overload :D

sponsored links

13,037 views & 0 likes for this thread
Facebook as a marketing tool
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.