Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 May 2010 (Tuesday) 13:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

T2i blows my 40D out of the water....

dpbdc
72 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 11, 2010 13:42 |  #1

So my friend and I were out camping in the desert (Anza Borrego) this past weekend and we were shooting a bit.

He had just picked up the new T2i and is a complete novice. I have had my 40D for almost a couple years and have only been shooting that long, but I feel I have a good understanding of what I am doing.

We were both shooting our Canon 10-22 lenses at night, getting some long bulb exposures of starfields and such.

Here's the thing. All his shots at the same settings blew mine away. Better color, better contrast, sharper. I just had my sensor cleaned, so I know that has nothing to do with it. I think my 10-22 might be off, I need to do a focus test this week. But damn. I didn't expect that big of a difference. Almost everything I shot was fuzzy. THe shots that turned out just didn't seem as nice. And to top it off, on a 20-30 min bulb exposure to get good star motion, his processed in 10 seconds. Mine was working for almost 20 MINUTES.

Obviously, I need to get my camera looked at, it has 9000 actuations. I will definitely be checking my lenses. But that 7D is starting to look really good.....

That 7D is looking better and better....

sponsored links
Overread
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 11, 2010 13:47 |  #2

It sounds like you had the long exposure noise control on and he didn't - that would explain why your noise control took 20mins whilst his only took a few moments. Also I doubt that a dirty sensor would be showing you anything but dustspots on those sorts of exposure so that won't be the source of the difference.

What it (most likley could be) is that you were viewing the results on the LCDs and the T2i has a better LCD and also probably better in camera JPEG editing that makes the results "look" better but might not show so much quality difference between the RAW results if you were to compare them both on a PC.

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 11, 2010 13:48 |  #3

dpbdc wrote in post #10162072 (external link)
He had just picked up the new T2i and is a complete novice. I have had my 40D for almost a couple years and have only been shooting that long, but I feel I have a good understanding of what I am doing.

We were both shooting our Canon 10-22 lenses at night, getting some long bulb exposures of starfields and such.

Here's the thing. All his shots at the same settings blew mine away. Better color, better contrast, sharper. I just had my sensor cleaned, so I know that has nothing to do with it. I think my 10-22 might be off, I need to do a focus test this week. But damn. I didn't expect that big of a difference. Almost everything I shot was fuzzy. THe shots that turned out just didn't seem as nice. And to top it off, on a 20-30 min bulb exposure to get good star motion, his processed in 10 seconds. Mine was working for almost 20 MINUTES.

Obviously, I need to get my camera looked at, it has 9000 actuations. I will definitely be checking my lenses. But that 7D is starting to look really good.....

but it's is a Rebel!
yes, it's probably time for an upgrade

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
3,287 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

May 11, 2010 13:55 |  #4

watt100 wrote in post #10162118 (external link)
but it's is a Rebel!
yes, it's probably time for an upgrade

I would be careful upgrading before needed. You might want to do some more definitive testing and compare RAW results before making a purchase like the 7D. It's a great camera, but if you don't need the better autofocus system or higher resolution, I would recommend using your money on lenses instead. Just my opinion though and good luck with your decision.

Just a thought from Daniel
Gear
flickr (external link)

website (external link)

dpbdc
THREAD ­ STARTER
72 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 11, 2010 14:02 |  #5

Overread wrote in post #10162113 (external link)
It sounds like you had the long exposure noise control on and he didn't - that would explain why your noise control took 20mins whilst his only took a few moments. Also I doubt that a dirty sensor would be showing you anything but dustspots on those sorts of exposure so that won't be the source of the difference.

What it (most likley could be) is that you were viewing the results on the LCDs and the T2i has a better LCD and also probably better in camera JPEG editing that makes the results "look" better but might not show so much quality difference between the RAW results if you were to compare them both on a PC.

You're right, I did have the settings on. I never even knew it. That is the one section of teh camera menu I never really got the hang of playing with. At least that explains the lag times.

As far as everything else, they still look better from his camera once they are in the computer. My stuff just looks off. If not a new body, I think I need to have the lens checked. I really think my 10-22 needs an overhaul. Maybe I'll swap with him and see if I get better results. Easiest way to check...

Thanks for the input gang, much appreciated.

macroshooter1970
Cream of the Crop
7,494 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 11, 2010 14:11 |  #6

do what you said and swap
also reading the book is worth it

Supra_t
515 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 11, 2010 14:12 |  #7

I didn't expect long exposure night shots to be much better coming from my 500D to 7D but I was very impressed with the improvement. Noise is much more controlled and cleans up extremely well in post.

James Cause Photography
[Flickr (external link)] [LIke me on facebook (external link)]

dpbdc
THREAD ­ STARTER
72 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 11, 2010 14:13 |  #8

macroshooter1970 wrote in post #10162265 (external link)
do what you said and swap
also reading the book is worth it

I read the book pretty much cover to cover, but I must have glossed over those settings or decided they were a 'good' thing at the time and forgot about them. I plan on looking into them more, now that they are having an impact on my shooting. Before they probably did not as I was pretty green...

Thanks tho. Never hurts to read it again.

Overread
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 11, 2010 14:15 |  #9

Remember it might not be that your lens itself is duff but that your lens and your camera body are not as in line with each other as your friends are. The result is that your combo looks softer even though both body and lens might be within calibration tollerance zones. Sadly I don't think the 40D has any micro adjust (I think that is new in the 50D and 7D). So any corrections would need you to send both lens and camera to canon for correct calibration.

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

macroshooter1970
Cream of the Crop
7,494 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 11, 2010 14:16 |  #10

dpbdc wrote in post #10162275 (external link)
I read the book pretty much cover to cover, but I must have glossed over those settings or decided they were a 'good' thing at the time and forgot about them. I plan on looking into them more, now that they are having an impact on my shooting. Before they probably did not as I was pretty green...

Thanks tho. Never hurts to read it again.

you got that right, i read it a few times and still look over sometimes :lol:

got any samples of both your shots for the forum to look at by chance.

wrussi
788 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 11, 2010 14:20 |  #11

i want a t2i soo bad too!! man i need moneys

Gear List
my website
www.wrphotostudio.com (external link)

spb
583 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 11, 2010 14:28 |  #12

macroshooter1970 wrote in post #10162291 (external link)
got any samples of both your shots for the forum to look at by chance.

+1..

60d | 50d | grip | 11-16 2.8 | 17-55 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 24-105 | 70-200 II | 60 macro | 580EXII x2
flickr (external link) | gear | feedback

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 11, 2010 14:47 |  #13

It sounds like your friend just knows how to use his camera a little better. Nothing to worry about, just figure out why your shots are not as good as you would like and improve your technique for next time.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 11, 2010 15:28 |  #14

I have the 40D and the T2i. I do have to say it was GREAT shoot at ISO 3200 with the T2i at a small concert. The noise level is amazing. 3200 looks like crap on my 40D.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

lewdog
383 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 11, 2010 18:52 |  #15

dpbdc wrote in post #10162072 (external link)
So my friend and I were out camping in the desert (Anza Borrego) this past weekend and we were shooting a bit.

Forgive me for asking a stupid question: when you say his pictures looked better, were you evaluating how the pictures looked on the back lcds of the cameras or back home on the same monitor?

5DII
Zeiss ZE: 21/2.8 50/2 100/2
Canon L: 35/1.4 85/1.2 135/2 70-200/4IS
3x430 EXII and various small studio equipment
Zenfolio (external link)

sponsored links

10,083 views & 0 likes for this thread
T2i blows my 40D out of the water....
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.