Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 14 May 2010 (Friday) 08:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does CS5, photoshop, and ligthroom run better on a mac?

qwerty11
51 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 14, 2010 08:49 |  #1

Somebody told me they did.

sponsored links
MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

May 14, 2010 08:54 |  #2

No... They just act a little different is all (look and feel). However, PC's generally have more stuff that is likely to harm them (viruses for instance). If you take care of your machine, install only what you need and follow safe procedures then a PC can be just as reliable as a Mac. But, you could say that about any mechanical device :)

TTk
Goldmember
2,518 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 14, 2010 08:57 |  #3

MaxxuM wrote in post #10179465 (external link)
No... They just act a little different is all (look and feel). However, PC's generally have more stuff that is likely to harm them (viruses for instance). If you take care of your machine, install only what you need and follow safe procedures then a PC can be just as reliable as a Mac. But, you could say that about any mechanical device :)

+1..:D

Terry.:cool:
http://www.terrykirton.co/ (external link)
http://www.ttkphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)
http://www.langtoftpho​tography.com/ (external link)

(external link)

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 14, 2010 12:57 |  #4

Actually very false. Tests have shown OSX to be much slower than windows in running Adobe products, usually in the range of 10% slower. Lightroom especially though, since LR2 is limited in the number of cores it can access in OSX, but will access all those cores in Windows. Even Windows Vista can be 3-4x faster than OSX when it comes to LR2.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

lowrider
811 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 14, 2010 13:30 as a reply to  @ basroil's post |  #5

^^^^Where are these tests? I did a google search and could not come up with any. I did find a speed comparison between CS4 and CS5 on a Mac.

http://blogs.adobe.com …s5_64-bit_benchmarks.html (external link)

And you do know of course there are many variables, Processor, RAM, video card, and etc. I really jdon't know how you can make a blanket statement like that.

Lou

geoff5093
972 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 14, 2010 13:34 |  #6

I've heard the opposite, that since OS X is a much less bloated OS compared to Windows that programs run better on a Mac with identical specs.

5D Mark III
Canon 24-70L II | Canon 70-200 2.8L IS II | Tamron 150-600 | Sigma 35 1.4

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,061 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 16, 2010 10:53 as a reply to  @ geoff5093's post |  #7

Well, here's a link to an actual benchmark performed on a single machine with CS4, between OS X (64 bit OS, 32 bit App) and Windows 7 (64 bit OS, 64 bit app)

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=822921

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

geoff5093
972 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 16, 2010 11:29 |  #8

Hen3Ry wrote in post #10190190 (external link)
Well, here's a link to an actual benchmark performed on a single machine with CS4, between OS X (64 bit OS, 32 bit App) and Windows 7 (64 bit OS, 64 bit app)

I just wish they were both running the 32 bit versions..

5D Mark III
Canon 24-70L II | Canon 70-200 2.8L IS II | Tamron 150-600 | Sigma 35 1.4

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

May 16, 2010 15:12 |  #9

Hen3Ry wrote in post #10190190 (external link)

Informative, but not really relevant save to show why 64bit with optimized code base can perform better than 32bit on non-optimized platforms. Adobe has demonstrated their unwillingness to fully support Apple products. A more relevant test will be a 64bit vs 64bit program with optimized coding that takes full advantage of the OS it is installed on. And even then, updates, programing errors, OS variations and user intervention will always play a roll.

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 16, 2010 15:30 |  #10

MaxxuM wrote in post #10191263 (external link)
Informative, but not really relevant save to show why 64bit with optimized code base can perform better than 32bit on non-optimized platforms. Adobe has demonstrated their unwillingness to fully support Apple products. A more relevant test will be a 64bit vs 64bit program with optimized coding that takes full advantage of the OS it is installed on. And even then, updates, programing errors, OS variations and user intervention will always play a roll.

10%, maybe 15% difference, I would say that's perfectly correct, 32bit apps will run slower on 64bit oses. Except we are talking about 50% differences here. Perhaps a lack of SSE4.1 support is hurting OSX's version, but that's an OS/developer kit level issue rather than something adobe did on purpose.

And Apple has demonstrated their unwillingness to fully support Adobe products, so until BOTH play nice, macs won't be better than non-macs for adobe products, and the end user is the only one affected.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 16, 2010 17:36 |  #11

I'm going to have to go with basroil here, I'm not Win fan-boy, just somebody who likes windows and Adobe. But I have seen it said a few times that adobe CS suite does get along better with windows, as a lot of the Adobe products do.

Apple aren't really in the mood to make up with Adobe right now, they're just trying to cut them out. So Adobe are going to get more and more in bed with Microsoft, I won't be surprised if the margin widens between which platforms run Adobe better.
To be honest photoshop/indesign is the only thing that keeps apple wanting to have mac support for Adobe, plainly because there's nothing else out there that can beat it. Otherwise... apple are trying to out-do them on other suites like audio and video and photo editing.

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

May 16, 2010 19:52 |  #12

basroil wrote in post #10191345 (external link)
10%, maybe 15% difference, I would say that's perfectly correct, 32bit apps will run slower on 64bit oses. Except we are talking about 50% differences here. Perhaps a lack of SSE4.1 support is hurting OSX's version, but that's an OS/developer kit level issue rather than something adobe did on purpose.

And Apple has demonstrated their unwillingness to fully support Adobe products, so until BOTH play nice, macs won't be better than non-macs for adobe products, and the end user is the only one affected.

Code optimization can account for 99.9999% difference in speed. Using old dwindling code can very well make up the difference in speed. But, I'm willing to give you a chance to prove yourself. I'll agree with you if you can provide legitimate third party benches of CS4 in 32 and 64bit modes on Windows XP and 7, OS 10.5.6 and 10.6.3 then compare them with CS5 in 64bit on Win 7 and OS 10.6.3. Same tasks, new installs with all the updates on a MacBook Pro i5 or i7. Windows running in bootcamp 'without' the Apple compatibility drivers running in the background (which many benchmarking sites do not do and this slows down Windows indexing).

If not, you're just guessing which is your prerogative, but should be stated in your posts.

benesotor wrote in post #10191912 (external link)
I'm going to have to go with basroil here, I'm not Win fan-boy, just somebody who likes windows and Adobe. But I have seen it said a few times that adobe CS suite does get along better with windows, as a lot of the Adobe products do.

Apple aren't really in the mood to make up with Adobe right now, they're just trying to cut them out. So Adobe are going to get more and more in bed with Microsoft, I won't be surprised if the margin widens between which platforms run Adobe better.
To be honest photoshop/indesign is the only thing that keeps apple wanting to have mac support for Adobe, plainly because there's nothing else out there that can beat it. Otherwise... apple are trying to out-do them on other suites like audio and video and photo editing.

Basroil hates Apple, so I would take anything he say's on the matter with a grain of salt (anyone that has to say "I'm not... something" typically is ;) ).

If you think Adobe (or Apple for that matter) is totally innocent you've got to go read your history. Here's an article you might want to read before taking sides... link (external link).

The main reason Apple does anything is to benefit Apple. If Apple has put out a software package it's because it did not exist or someone was doing a poor job of it. Adobe has been doing a poor job lately so Apple stepped up with another solution.

benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 17, 2010 04:54 |  #13

MaxxuM wrote in post #10192448 (external link)
Basroil hates Apple, so I would take anything he say's on the matter with a grain of salt (anyone that has to say "I'm not... something" typically is ;) ).

If you think Adobe (or Apple for that matter) is totally innocent you've got to go read your history. Here's an article you might want to read before taking sides... link (external link).

The main reason Apple does anything is to benefit Apple. If Apple has put out a software package it's because it did not exist or someone was doing a poor job of it. Adobe has been doing a poor job lately so Apple stepped up with another solution.

Ha yeah I know basroil isn't the biggest fan of Apple, but he's just reminding me that I've seen a few Adobe reviews where the reviewer has said they got better performance/reliabilit​y from Adobe suites with windows rather than Mac. I'm not saying WIN FTW! it's just Adobe is more targeted at them. Saying that, half the work I do is Adobe installed on a Mac! So I happily work with both platforms.

Yeah I've been looking at the Adobe/Apple clash for a while, more so with this flash thing. Apple see Adobe as just another competitor they want to crush, and Adobe seem to see Apple as just another platform they have to spend money on to code for.

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

May 17, 2010 08:41 |  #14

benesotor wrote in post #10194422 (external link)
Ha yeah I know basroil isn't the biggest fan of Apple, but he's just reminding me that I've seen a few Adobe reviews where the reviewer has said they got better performance/reliabilit​y from Adobe suites with windows rather than Mac. I'm not saying WIN FTW! it's just Adobe is more targeted at them. Saying that, half the work I do is Adobe installed on a Mac! So I happily work with both platforms.

Yeah I've been looking at the Adobe/Apple clash for a while, more so with this flash thing. Apple see Adobe as just another competitor they want to crush, and Adobe seem to see Apple as just another platform they have to spend money on to code for.

Yea, Adobe hasn't been all the proactive about updating their software on the Apple platform for a while. I think since PC's are more apt (statistically) to fail for some reason or another that people assume that Adobe products will therefore run better on Mac's.

I would not go so far as to say Apple wants to crush Adobe. That would be assuming that Apple even cares about other company's. They don't. Apple cares about Apple - and if you interfere with Apple they will attack. Otherwise, they could care less if you make programs. Job's went begging software makers in the late 90's for help developing new and exciting software for the new OS X platform. 90% of them told him to bugger off. So, he started making his own software. Most of it is extremely poplar and in some cases took over industries. Apple has also not made any secret that they are a closed system (see the late 90's again for why). If you don't like it, go some place else. If for some crazy reason Adobe stopped making CS products for Apple I'm sure Job's has been developing a PS alternative in case that happens. He doesn't like depending on other companies for Apple's success. Who would?

sponsored links

4,371 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does CS5, photoshop, and ligthroom run better on a mac?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.