Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 16 May 2010 (Sunday) 05:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it me or do Vaio's suck?

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 16, 2010 05:41 |  #1

I had a Vaio a few years back, slow as mud and had a dodgy bit on the screen.

Then I bought a Y series (Y11) and it's pretty but it's slow to load anything, the magnesium outer case bows in the middle (A bit stupid imo for a laptop) and the keys are too far apart for comfort.

I also own an NC10 and even though the video card is 3 generations older (GMA950 as opposed to the Vaio's MHD4500) the NC10 doesn't suffer in game slowdown like the Vaio does.

I'm thinking of getting the Samsung X420 and having done with it.
I liked the idea of a CULV cpu, longer battery life, light and portable. I'm not looking to play Crysis on the damn thing but I want to step forwards from the NC10 not back!

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links
benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 16, 2010 07:14 |  #2

I've had a play with a few Viao's, the new really small ones I thought were great... but I have a friend with a mid-rage full sized laptop and It doesn't seem to be worth the extra £$, after a year or two of usage its kind of falling apart.

My old dell latitude which is over 5 years old is still going strong with nothing wrong with it.

Addicted2EOS
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 17, 2010 12:44 |  #3

Not sure if it is a non-USA thing but I have had several and each one performed incredibly. Also, I sold each after three years and was impressed with the resale value.

Canon 40D and more lenses than my wife knows about...

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 17, 2010 13:41 |  #4

I have the 18.4 inch Vaio and it is fantastic. Great screen that calibrates well (for a laptop) and masses of screen real estate to play with.

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,258 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

May 17, 2010 19:30 |  #5

Viao's suck!

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | Ultimate Lens MA FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 18, 2010 03:51 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Vaio do suck, their battery performances are low, i.e. only 3.5 hours battery life? I can get a laptop/netbook that can last for 8.5 hours, and on a 12" screen

Asus EEE ftw

Gnhntn
538 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2009

May 27, 2010 14:50 |  #7

Have used one a few in the past, and never cared for them. A guy I work with had one and was looking for excuses to get a new laptop, but his wife always said he hadn't had that one long enough. He lucked out though (if that is what you want to call it) and he couldn't find it one day, so he asked his grandson if he had seen it...............the grandson took him to the microwave and there it was, to never work again.........He needed one for travel so ended up getting a Toshiba and has been very happy with it (I don't use either of them, so not pushing Toshiba's).

"Why is it that children know how to forgive and forget...But adults forget how to forgive?"

ebann
Once an ugly duckling
3,396 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Jun 04, 2010 11:41 |  #8

VAIO su*ks! Had two and both had hardware problems. My MacBook has been solid ever since I got one to replace those VAIOs.

Ellery Bann
Fuji X100
6D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 50 1.4
1D Mk IV | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 135 2L | 400 5.6L

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,585 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 04, 2010 11:57 |  #9

90% of the laptops from all brands have the same basic architecture and parts. So I doubt Sony sucks any worse than Toshiba, Dell, Lenovo, etc.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

S.E.V.
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.
3,866 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 04, 2010 15:16 |  #10

Well A. they are over priced B. they are loaded with stuff you will never use most likely C. they are really ment for people who just want to have a laptop or PC for basic use and play with useless features. Your better off to either built your own or buy a MAC or DELLs are pretty good.

ShotsInTime (external link) / Gear List /Flickr (external link) / Canon Family Portrait (external link)
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

S.E.V.
3,866 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 04, 2010 15:18 |  #11

tkbslc wrote in post #10302263 (external link)
90% of the laptops from all brands have the same basic architecture and parts. So I doubt Sony sucks any worse than Toshiba, Dell, Lenovo, etc.

I have never had an issue with any Dell i have own in the past, although all my friends and co workers have gone threw numerous Gateway, Toshiba, HP Laptops and PCs. Not saying that Dells are built proof, but they do seem to last and run stronger then all other brands. Sure all brands have there bad apples.

ShotsInTime (external link) / Gear List /Flickr (external link) / Canon Family Portrait (external link)
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,585 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 04, 2010 15:22 |  #12

S.E.V. wrote in post #10303520 (external link)
I have never had an issue with any Dell i have own in the past, although all my friends and co workers have gone threw numerous Gateway, Toshiba, HP Laptops and PCs. Not saying that Dells are built proof, but they do seem to last and run stronger then all other brands. Sure all brands have there bad apples.

That's a pretty small sample size for your research, there. I've worked in IT with computer hardware for almost 15 years and I assure you that with few exceptions, all the guts are the same and most computers of all brands run for years if treated properly. I have seen plenty of dead Dells, too.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

S.E.V.
3,866 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 04, 2010 16:20 |  #13

tkbslc wrote in post #10303539 (external link)
That's a pretty small sample size for your research, there. I've worked in IT with computer hardware for almost 15 years and I assure you that with few exceptions, all the guts are the same and most computers of all brands run for years if treated properly. I have seen plenty of dead Dells, too.

Not saying Dell is rock solid and will never die. All electronics will die eventually, but i have seen more issues and replacement in other brands personally. Sure they look nice but how long will nice last. My dell inspiron 1300 was bought used 6yrs ago and it was 3yr old when i bought it. Still rock solid just had to replace the battery cause it was left plugged into the wall for all use.

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 04, 2010 17:38 |  #14

A consumer organisation in NZ polled its members to ask about laptop reliability. Sony laptops came out tops at about 92% not needing service, Apple and Dell came in just below on 90%, Acer and Toshiba just below them on 85%, HP and Asus on 80%. In terms of satisfaction apple had about 98% satisfied users, Sony and Dell were next on 90%, the rest weren't far behind.

Based on that information when I go shopping for a laptop with my girlfriend this weekend, who's primary criteria is that it should be pink, i'll let her buy any of those brands.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

reprazent
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 10, 2010 16:41 |  #15

Just stay away from those consumer entry level notebooks - they are cheap because of the low end materials of the chassis/covers used. the plastic bends easily - this goes for any brand.

now it's a different story with the highend/business models, I've used several HP models from work: they are built like a tank. And cost like twice as much. not to mention the are heavy too. you get what you pay for.

gearlist | flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,368 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it me or do Vaio's suck?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.