Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 May 2010 (Monday) 10:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Non-reporting TC with fast lens

phigment
230 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 17, 2010 10:37 |  #1

I have a question that I couldn't find an answer to on this forum.

If I have a fast lens (say 135L f/2) and add a 2X non-reporting TC, how would the auto focus compare to adding a reporting 2X?

The reason I ask is because with the non-reporting, the high precision sensor (activated at f/2.8 or wider) would be used by the camera because it thinks there is an f/2 lens attached.

With the reporting TC, the camera knows the aperture is f/4 and knows not to even try with the high precision.

So, from an AF point of view, would I be better off with a reporting TC, or will that not make a difference?

Thanks!

A7R, Firin 20mm, CV 21/4, CV 40/1.4, 100ZE, 300 4LIS, Tamron 150-600, Jupiter 8, RX100 IV

avan
512 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 17, 2010 10:44 |  #2

With a fast lens,I don't think you gonna see a real difference in AF speed. The light mesurement gonna be out a bit, if you let it at f2. When I use a non reporting tc, I alway close the aperture at the right place: with a f2.8 lens = f4. I better like the reporting TC, because I want to know in the exif when I use it. So if something are wrong, I have all the data in hand.

1DMK4, T6s, 100-400mmL IS II, 16-35mm f4, 100mm macro
[www.pbase.com/jeelee/g​alleries (external link)

phigment
THREAD ­ STARTER
230 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 17, 2010 11:00 as a reply to  @ avan's post |  #3

My concern isn't necessarily the speed, but accuracy.

Stopping down the lens doesn't really matter either, because all focusing is done with the lens wide open.

By adding a non-reporting TC it is straddling the camera's decision on whether to use the high-precision AF sensors.

What I really want to know is will forcing the camera to use the high precision focus points make things worse than using the other points?

I ask this because I already have a non-reporting TC and don't want to spend $250 just to get the correct EXIF data if it's not necessary.

A7R, Firin 20mm, CV 21/4, CV 40/1.4, 100ZE, 300 4LIS, Tamron 150-600, Jupiter 8, RX100 IV

phigment
THREAD ­ STARTER
230 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 17, 2010 11:18 as a reply to  @ phigment's post |  #4

Well, I think I found the answer in the whitepaper:

Section IV:
"Focusing is started using the f/5.6, horizontal line-sensitive central sensors with individual pixels arranged in a zigzag pattern for improved extreme defocus detection.When focusing is nearly achieved (and when using an f/2.8 or brighter lens) focusing is handed off to the f/2.8 sensitive vertical line sensors."

So I guess you get the benefit of both AF systems when using a fast lens.

The only part that I question in the above is:
"When focusing is nearly achieved..."
What if you don't have a 2.8 lens, does it hand off the rest of the AF to the 5.6 sensors?

Oh well, at least I now know that the 5.6 sensors are involved in the initial focus lock.

Cheers.

Steve-R
239 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 17, 2010 20:54 |  #5

If you don't have a f/2.8 lens, then there is no hand-off - only the 5.6 sensors are utilized.

In addition, if you are using a f/2 lens with non-reporting TC, the camera will try to use the f/2.8 sensors, but they will likely fail since the actual aperture is not sufficient for the AF sensor baseline.

Steve

Canon 70D,
10-22, 28-105, 70-300 f/4-5.6, 100 f/2.8
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Tokina 10-17 Fisheye, Tokina 35 f/2.8

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

769 views & 0 likes for this thread
Non-reporting TC with fast lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.