Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 May 2010 (Monday) 14:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help deciding.

Jardiniboy
508 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 17, 2010 14:55 |  #1

Hi,

I need help deciding on what to do.

Currently I have a 1DMKII, 17-40L, and 70-200 F/4 (Non-IS). I have around $500 to spend and I don't know what to do. I'm currently getting more into taking pictures of events such as parties, sports,etc. Basically general stuff besides weddings.

Option 1
Buy a used 40D as a second camera

Option 2
Sell my 1DII and get a 7D (For the higher ISO and newer technology)

Option 3
Sell my 70-200 and upgrade to the f/4 IS version.

If you guys have other options that would be great as well.

Thanks in advance.

Gear List Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
HeaTransfer
554 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 17, 2010 14:58 |  #2

I think this is a bit of the wrong approach to the problem.

Instead of having a $500 solution looking for a problem, why don't you ask, what exactly the problem is and try to address that?

For the stuff that you shoot, what sucks? What is limiting you? Are you missing or unable to take a particular kind of shot? Or maybe you are able to get a shot, but, say, the shutter speed is so low you have subject movement or camera shake? I'd start here. If there are no problems, spend the $500 on hookers and blow... or send it to me as a consultation fee.

Jardiniboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
508 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 17, 2010 15:06 |  #3

HeaTransfer wrote in post #10197253 (external link)
I think this is a bit of the wrong approach to the problem.

Instead of having a $500 solution looking for a problem, why don't you ask, what exactly the problem is and try to address that?

For the stuff that you shoot, what sucks? What is limiting you? Are you missing or unable to take a particular kind of shot? Or maybe you are able to get a shot, but, say, the shutter speed is so low you have subject movement or camera shake? I'd start here. If there are no problems, spend the $500 on hookers and blow... or send it to me as a consultation fee.

For a while now, most of my problem is changing lens to take a certain shot so certain shots is missed or delayed and there are times when I need a higher ISO or wanting IS to prevent camera shake on the long end on my 70-200.

HeaTransfer
554 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 17, 2010 15:17 |  #4

Have you considered a flash? Should be invaluable for anything indoors and anything with low light. It mitigates the need for high ISO performance.

You know how to solve camera shake on the 200.

If you are missing a LOT of shots, then perhaps you should consider that second body, if you find you'er willing to actually carry a second camera around.

Jardiniboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
508 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 17, 2010 15:26 |  #5

HeaTransfer wrote in post #10197367 (external link)
Have you considered a flash? Should be invaluable for anything indoors and anything with low light. It mitigates the need for high ISO performance.

You know how to solve camera shake on the 200.

If you are missing a LOT of shots, then perhaps you should consider that second body, if you find you'er willing to actually carry a second camera around.

I forgot to mention that I already have the 580ex.

I don't mind caring another body. But wanting the IS on the 70-200 is a huge plus also.

Jardiniboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
508 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 17, 2010 18:17 |  #6

There's someone locally wanting to trade his 50D + XS for a 1DMKII, do you guys think it would be worth it?

I was thinking of trading it, sell the XS for something like the 40D or 30D.

sponsored links

1,036 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need help deciding.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.