Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 18 May 2010 (Tuesday) 07:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Feed Stations / Baiting Stations...can I See Yours?

Cosha
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 18, 2010 07:22 |  #1

...Please :)

Im working on a few feeders for baiting garden birds for some photographs, please can i see your station?

Oh...Hello :)

sponsored links
canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

May 18, 2010 08:55 |  #2

I just use an old work bench out in the yard under the Lilac Bush. There can be 4 or 5 different species of birds on it at once. but it's not very photogenic, as most feeders aren't. The trick is to poke a photogenic stick into the dirt, near the feeders. A birds natural instinct is to land on that stick first, and either wait his turn at the feeder, or scope it out for threats. Most birds do this. It's instintual. So shoot them on the stick, not on the feeder.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

milalic
155 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 18, 2010 12:08 |  #3

Mitch,

Any type of wood stick works or you recommend a specific tree type?

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 18, 2010 12:29 |  #4

Any type. I get the old dead ones with soft punky wood on the outside, or moss if I can find it. I change them every few months too, and the birds love it when I bring new sticks home. They get all excited and check them all out, like little kids with new playground stuff. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

Cosha
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 18, 2010 16:09 |  #5

Thanks, i have designed my feeders between 2 smaller trees, both have natural perches on and the feeder is in the middle! How near is near?

the nearest natural perch is 3 meters away, i think i should bring a few added perches closer?

Oh...Hello :)

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 18, 2010 16:15 |  #6

Well, mine are all within 17 feet or so of my window. I sit in here at my desk and shoot out the window into the yard. It's just the way it's set up. My sticks are all within a few feet of the food or bird bath though. You don't want them too far away or they won't use them except by accident. But pick the spot your going to be shooting from and plan it out, then keep in mind what the background in the frame is going to be when you start shooting, and the angle of light. You don't want to be shooting into the sun. Mine are all to the West of the window, so I can shoot from early morning until about 1pm or so. After that, the light is bad and in my face, unless it's a cloudy day.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

sponsored links

839 views & 0 likes for this thread
Feed Stations / Baiting Stations...can I See Yours?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.