Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 18 May 2010 (Tuesday) 23:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to get good backlighting?

Milla
283 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 18, 2010 23:23 |  #1

I am in love with JD's photos. She seems especially good at backlighting. Whenever I do backlighting my subject never seems well lit. Here are two good examples of JD's backlighting: http://jamiedelaineblo​g.com …-grace-stevens-portraits/ (external link)
and http://jamiedelaineblo​g.com/post/date/2010/0​3/ (external link)

Is this something that is done in post? If not, how do I get I get my subjects well lit when they are backlit?

Her subjects always have lovely skin tones too. How is this achieved?

Blog! (external link)Twitter! (external link)

sponsored links
S2K.OGRAPHY
494 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 18, 2010 23:25 |  #2

use a flash?

flickr (external link)

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 19, 2010 02:49 as a reply to  @ S2K.OGRAPHY's post |  #3

You can use a flash or more importantly is to plan your shot out with the subject placement correctly.

You can enhance back lighting to some degree in post processing but you are not going to be able to simulate sunlight to the degree that the natural lighting will give you. If you do use the sun for your back lighting you have to be careful with the harsh shadows and loss of detail in the subject. Proper exposure and using the right amount of forward facing fill flash is almost a must in doing this correctly. Some will try to take the multiple shots and merge them to get the balance that they want.

To answer your overall question of how do you get yours to look well lit. There is nothing like practice and over time it will become easier.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 19, 2010 08:36 |  #4

Milla wrote in post #10206990 (external link)
Is this something that is done in post?

Part of it I think.
For the rest: Try here: http://www.sunbounce.d​e/index.php?id=beispie​le0&L=1 (external link) (Some image on that site are NSFW)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sdipirro
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 19, 2010 12:05 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #5

Looks to me like she's using the sun as her hair light/accent light in all the outdoor shots. You can use your camera's metering system to expose the hair and background to suit your personal tastes. Then you need a flash or, better yet, off camera lighting on the subject to make sure the exposure on the subject is what you want. You use the flash/lighting to properly expose the subject at a given aperture and shutter speed to control the ambient exposure (along with ISO).

Cameras: 1DX, 1D4, 20D, 10D, S90, G2
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 1.4x TC, 2x TC, 500D macro, Zeiss 21mm
Lighting: 580EX, Elinchrom 600 RX's, D-Lite 4's, ABR800, 74" Eli Octa, 100cm/70cm DOs, Photoflex Medium Octa and reflectors, PW's, Lastolite Hilite, Newton Di400CR bracket

sdipirro
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 19, 2010 12:08 |  #6

Oh, and depending on the position of the sun and how strong it is, you can sometimes use a reflector to bounce sunlight back on the subject to fill in shadows and properly expose skintones...either in place of flash or in addition to it to add more highlights.

Cameras: 1DX, 1D4, 20D, 10D, S90, G2
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 1.4x TC, 2x TC, 500D macro, Zeiss 21mm
Lighting: 580EX, Elinchrom 600 RX's, D-Lite 4's, ABR800, 74" Eli Octa, 100cm/70cm DOs, Photoflex Medium Octa and reflectors, PW's, Lastolite Hilite, Newton Di400CR bracket

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 19, 2010 14:23 |  #7

Milla wrote in post #10206990 (external link)
IIf not, how do I get I get my subjects well lit when they are backlit?

Add light to the front? ;)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 27, 2010 06:44 |  #8

Looks to me like you just have to be willing to let the sky blow to smithereens. ;) :)

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

ImagineTNT
Goldmember
1,330 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 27, 2010 20:36 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #9

Personally this is how I like to do it: I use the in-camera metering set to spot. This lets me be very precise in metering skin tones off the person's face. If you're doing any sort of overall/evaluative metering you'll have to be EV compensating and all that. To me, it's just easier to meter because I know exactly where it should be. About 1 1/3 past center on my camera (I can detail this more if anyone likes).

Once you have the metering right you can use some fill light (that just balances how "blown out" your sky is). Just remember the more you balance out, the more you reduce the backlighting effect.

You can also shoot all natural light if you don't mind blowing out the sky as cdifoto points out. It looks like most of JD's photos are done natural light. When shooting properly, you can get this effect with no post work.

Here are a few backlighting examples with all natural light:

IMAGE: http://www.celebrationpackages.com/images/portfolio/couples/BrieScott/BrieScott_102909_0149.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.celebrationpackages.com/images/portfolio/couples/BrieScott/BrieScott_102909_0152.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.celebrationpackages.com/images/portfolio/families/jessicar/Jessica_010610_B.jpg

C&C always appreciated for my posts :)
Celebration Packages [www.celebrationpackage​s.com (external link)]
Blog [blog.celebrationpackag​es.com (external link)]
Lightroom Tutorials [blog.celebrationpackag​es.com (external link)]

wernersl
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 28, 2010 11:08 |  #10

Heres a couple from the weekend. the first one is natural light, second was just a touch of fill flash with the 580. had to really compress to upload these cause i cant get to photobucket from here. you get the idea though

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Shawn l Gear
Mamarazzi Photography (external link)
Wife owns the biz...I just shoot the weddings!

js09
646 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 28, 2010 14:08 |  #11

whoa. intense website/blog/facebook for a natural light shooter.

5D Mark III x3
16-35 f/4L, 24L, 35L, 50L, 24-70L II, 135L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS
600EX-RT's + Elinchrom Ranger Quadra's
Modern weddings & engagements in Washington DC
www.jeffsimpsonphoto.c​om (external link)

sponsored links

3,847 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to get good backlighting?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.