Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 May 2010 (Thursday) 09:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5d Mark 2 VS 7d in terms of IQ and sharpness

nebulight
247 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2005

May 20, 2010 09:15 |  #1

I recently picked up a 7d about a month ago to kick start my photography hobby again. I am an amateur that likes to take photos on the weekends. I don't sell my work and just take pictures for myself.

With that said, I'm not sure if I'm just not good with the gear or if I'm expecting too much out of the camera, but I'm not really thrilled with the IQ that comes out of this camera. I originally thought it may have been an out of focus issue, but I put the camera on a tripod and used the computer controlled shutter and I'm still not 100% pleased with the results.

I've seen A LOT of photos on this forum, and even pictures that appear to be snaps looks to but ultra sharp and they were taken with the 5D mark 2. Will full frame give me that much better picture quality?

I don't have any examples at the moment, but I'll post some tonight when I get back home.

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 20, 2010 09:36 |  #2

If you can't get a good, sharp shot out of a 7D, you won't be able to get a good sharp shot out of a 5DII.

charliec
524 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 20, 2010 09:42 |  #3

nebulight wrote in post #10215318 (external link)
I recently picked up a 7d about a month ago to kick start my photography hobby again. I am an amateur that likes to take photos on the weekends. I don't sell my work and just take pictures for myself.

With that said, I'm not sure if I'm just not good with the gear or if I'm expecting too much out of the camera, but I'm not really thrilled with the IQ that comes out of this camera. I originally thought it may have been an out of focus issue, but I put the camera on a tripod and used the computer controlled shutter and I'm still not 100% pleased with the results.

I've seen A LOT of photos on this forum, and even pictures that appear to be snaps looks to but ultra sharp and they were taken with the 5D mark 2. Will full frame give me that much better picture quality?

I don't have any examples at the moment, but I'll post some tonight when I get back home.

If you search for this question, it's been discussed ad nauseum on here.

IMO, the main thing to be aware of is that the 7D images are very large. If you're looking at an image at 100% to evaluate detail, it's literally like viewing a large painting from several inches away. Resizing the image or printing it would give a better understanding of actual image quality.

With a good lens, good technique, and proper post-processing, you can probably get very similar results to the 5D2.

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,458 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 20, 2010 09:48 as a reply to  @ charliec's post |  #4

Can you post example shots? What lens(es) are you using?

I don't know much about computer controlling the shutter, but most of my images are tack sharp and most of the time it's handheld. I do use a tripod when able to though. This is with a 50D & XSi.

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,232 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 20, 2010 09:52 |  #5

Need samples, but as I have both the 7D and the 5DII, I have found that the difference in IQ especially when the ISO is less than 3200 is very minimal and even pixel peeping at 100%, it's hard to tell the difference.

Two things come to mind though. Have you micro-focus adjusted the lenses? I have found that both bodies respond very nicely when the lens is matched to the camera. Secondly, what image sharpening technique are you using? Both cameras get nicer images when the image is sharpened a tad.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,515 views & 0 likes for this thread
5d Mark 2 VS 7d in terms of IQ and sharpness
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.