Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 20 May 2010 (Thursday) 12:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need heavy Critique!!

Gentleman ­ Villain
Goldmember
1,116 posts
Joined May 2008

May 20, 2010 18:03 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

brywill32669 wrote in post #10216347 (external link)
I took this and several pics for a friend and need open honesty.

Be careful about critiques online because sometimes people feel the need to try and re-do the shots for ya...

In the future, there are 2 things that you might want to watch out for when working with similar subject matter, lighting and environment. First, the open shade type of lighting in these photos has a natural blue cast. Most of the time (but not all the time), human subjects will look better with a warmer cast to the light rather than a blue cast. A little bit of warming added in PP might help and it's also possible to shoot with a warming filter on the camera lens. The 81c is really popular for correcting the bluish color cast contained in open shade lighting. Second, you might want to work a little bit more on background control for future shoots. Remember, a photograph is basically a flat surface so any kind of tree branches, street signs, lamp posts etc that are behind a subject can sometimes have the effect of looking like they are attached to and/or growing out of the subject. The easy fix to this problem is to use a longer lens with a shallower DOF because then the background will turn into a blur. But that's not the only option because sometimes just working with the subject a bit more and moving him/her around in the environment is all that's needed.

Good luck with future shoots. The subject is really pretty and she should be proud of the way that she looks in the photos.

sponsored links
brywill32669
THREAD ­ STARTER
354 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 20, 2010 19:15 as a reply to  @ Gentleman Villain's post |  #17

Awesome, Thanks to all for the help. I havent taken any time to pp the pics. It was my/our first shoot. I shot about 700 pics. I know you may laugh but hey she was into it and I had no problem, she was easy to the eyes!

Canon T2i, {EF 28-135 IS}, {EFS 55-250IS}, {EF 50MM F/1.8 II}, {580 EX II}, {Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II}, Generic tripod, Generic Lighting with umbrellas, Canon S5 IS.
www.brywillphotography​.com (external link)
http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1641969 (external link)
8-)

RickRitz
709 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Apr 2010

May 21, 2010 02:12 |  #18

brywill32669 wrote in post #10218265 (external link)
Awesome, Thanks to all for the help. I havent taken any time to pp the pics. It was my/our first shoot. I shot about 700 pics. I know you may laugh but hey she was into it and I had no problem, she was easy to the eyes!

Very, very easy on the eyes indeed!

Are you ok with the image edit?

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
|| 7D | EF 100-400L | EFS 17-55 | EF 85 | EF 50 | 580 EX II (2) | 420 EX (2) ||
1RickPhoto (over 200 albums of different beautiful models) (external link) Model Mayhem (external link)

Cosha
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 21, 2010 02:36 as a reply to  @ RickRitz's post |  #19

Firstly, lovely model yes...

Onto C&C...

You MUST stop the 'Ill fix that later in PP attitude' as i call it, as your photography will suffer lots! PP is great at bringing back, or making the photograph look better and yes its used as another tool to get that photograph your after...but the way i have always worked is, nail it as best i can with my camera, and touch up if i need too!

As others have already said, its a stop or so underexposed, and i guess light was getting low, so with out some flash heads or strobes it would be been quite hard to get the model to 'pop' out as it were...

What metering mode where you in?
What Mode did you shoot etc...
Jpeg or Raw?

I cant get no information from the picture here at work :(

I think the second shot is slightly better than the first, the models leg in shot one is just there :D and i agree about the hand comment? wheres that going? :rolleyes:

Also watch your backgrounds too, i work backwards:

when i shoot a model, i set him/her up where i would like her, focus lock on the model and lock the focus there, ask them to take 5 steps to the side and fire off a frame! have a look at the screen for depth of field, how pleasing the background is, and if there is any items in the background that i dont like! I also look for items that could pop out of the models head or arms or something like that

(Notice, if your doing headshots, or close ups you can still make good habits of trying this too)

If im happy with the way the scene looks, i bring back the model and get them to do 5 funny faces or poses, this loosens the model up loads, gets the face relaxed and its also good for building confidence up with each other!

and then continue the set....

anyway, thats just a little snippet on how i personaily shoot, everyones different! :D

It seems like it takes ages but do it a few times and takes 30 seconds max...

I do this because, if i shot a whole set, and i get home to find all of my images have tree branches or something stick out of the models head, its a **** to clone and takes forever!

Remember, photography first, POSTproduction afterwards!

Nail your images with your camera first! :D

Keep at it, your 3/4 the way there!

Home this C&C is heavy enough :D

Oh...Hello :)

MHO
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 21, 2010 05:07 |  #20

a lot of things can be sorted out in PP in regards to the colour tones and some relative sharpening etc. but you need to make sure that your shot is good to minimize post work as much as possible.

One of the key points which most people tend to miss is Composition! If your composition is out your photo will end up looking like a snapshot, no matter what equipment you use!

Make sure you don't chop hands, arms or legs out without compensating elsewhere or meaning!

In your fist image the composition for that specific shot is out as you have cut off your model's hands altogether! also the lighting is a little flat. Nothing stands out! (sorry if I sound harsh but you asked for it! ;) )

The 2nd shot is a lot better but the angle of shot is not the best and you could have had a little more from your model with her posing a little differently perhaps.

I hope you don't mind my harsh words, I'm hoping that it has been constructive criticism :p

MHO Photography on Flickr (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)
5D2 & 1D2n & Some Lenses

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

May 21, 2010 05:13 |  #21

RickRitz wrote in post #10217887 (external link)
You don't have image editing turned on but I took a quick 5-minutes on this. If you want, I will take it down but just wanted you to see another view of your first shot.

Regardless of retrospective permissions if image editing is not turned on you do not edit, post and ask if it is ok but to just go ahead and do it would really piss off many people.

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 21, 2010 05:32 |  #22

RickRitz wrote in post #10217887 (external link)
You don't have image editing turned on but I took a quick 5-minutes on this. If you want, I will take it down but just wanted you to see another view of your first shot.

As stated, please respect the "image editing ok" flag. The polite thing to do is ask first and then edit when permission is granted.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

brywill32669
THREAD ­ STARTER
354 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 21, 2010 07:14 as a reply to  @ Pete's post |  #23

First no apologies needed for the critique. I want to learn. I have reset the image editing. Like I said this was my first...she was available at 1pm, brutal sunlight. Please keep coming with the suggestions. There was one where we had a garbage can coming out of her breasts. Had to reshoot those.. Here is another:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon T2i, {EF 28-135 IS}, {EFS 55-250IS}, {EF 50MM F/1.8 II}, {580 EX II}, {Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II}, Generic tripod, Generic Lighting with umbrellas, Canon S5 IS.
8-)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 21, 2010 08:29 |  #24

brywill32669 wrote in post #10216717 (external link)
Here is another right of the camera, converted from raw to jpeg and imagesized down. There has been no post processing. She was great to work with.

Try post processing your photos before asking for opinions. Put your best foot forward. Photo 1 is under exposed, soft, and awkward pose - leg.
Photo #2 is just a bad location with buildings and light poles in the background.

And photo #3, if you realized it was in harsh sun, find a location in the shade and use a fill flash. Overall I suggest a better location for your next "shoot".

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 21, 2010 09:18 |  #25

Let me say that it is a good first start.

The lighting could be better on the first one and the second one has background problems.

Have fun and keep shooting.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

MHO
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 21, 2010 09:42 |  #26

Third one is much better than the 1st & the 2nd although it would have been better if her foot wasn't cut off the frame!

But it is a good start, much better than some of the other work you see in this forum some times! ;)

MHO Photography on Flickr (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)
5D2 & 1D2n & Some Lenses

brywill32669
THREAD ­ STARTER
354 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 21, 2010 09:46 as a reply to  @ MHO's post |  #27

WOW... I was thinking that the third was rough looking. Okay... I do appreciate all the inputs! I am using my laptop and was wondering if that made a difference in how it is viewed on my monitor.
Thanks to all!

8-)

beano
Goldmember
4,168 posts
Joined May 2006

May 21, 2010 12:32 |  #28

MHO wrote in post #10221191 (external link)
Third one is much better than the 1st & the 2nd although it would have been better if her foot wasn't cut off the frame!

My thoughts exactly! ;)

Scott

beano
Goldmember
4,168 posts
Joined May 2006

May 21, 2010 12:34 |  #29

brywill32669 wrote in post #10221209 (external link)
WOW... I was thinking that the third was rough looking. Okay... I do appreciate all the inputs! I am using my laptop and was wondering if that made a difference in how it is viewed on my monitor.
Thanks to all!

How do you mean rough looking? The top looks a little blown, but over-all the image just pops a lot more than the other two; and i don't think the exposure is bad for bright sunlight. ;)

Scott

rgrebby
654 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 21, 2010 14:21 |  #30

first couple of things I noticed apart from the crop in image 1 was that its a little dark and it would have been much better if her eyes had a little catch light in them so they are not so dark and un interesting.

The 2nd image seems to lean to the right and it makes me feel slightly uneasy.

Canon 5D MKII
Canon 24-70mm f2.8L
Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS
Canon 85mm 1.8
http://richardgrebby.c​o.uk (external link)

sponsored links

3,866 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need heavy Critique!!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.