Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 21 May 2010 (Friday) 00:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Before & After 284

dwarfcow
640 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 21, 2010 00:45 |  #1

This game is to help those of us who are trying to learn new editing tricks.

Here's the breakdown of the game. I will post a picture, re-sized to exactly 1024 pixels maximum on the long side. Outside of being re-sized it has to be unedited...meaning no adjustments to any levels, it has to look like it did as it came out of the camera.

The game will last 72hrs and whoever can produce the best edited image (as judged by me) will be picked and it'll be their turn to post their unedited picture for all of us to take a crack at.

The participants must have their "Image Editing OK" turned on and they must provide at least a simple breakdown of how they edited the image, some entrants are a little vague on this point, please give us all details so we can learn and share tips. For instance if you use the unsharp mask tool or Smart Sharpen, provide us with the adjustments you used so others can try them out.

You can post multiple images, but the first image you post will be the one that is judged - all other images will be considered for knowledge and tip use only.

Also, please keep all comments, be they positive or negative, to yourself until after the game has ended.

If you happen to be the winner of the game please start the next one with the title of the game and the following number. For example…the next game should read "Before & After #285".

This game will end at 9:45 PM AKST on Sunday, May 23rd. Have fun! (AKST is GMT -9hours)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i32.photobucket​.com …d24/akkell85/IM​G_6951.jpg (external link)

just took this picture less than 3 hours ago; lets see what potential it has
photo credits to my daughter Hana for staring in awe at an amazingly long drool strand hanging from our dog's mouth!

"Evidently the photo shop at the college I go to is one of the best in the country. They actually have a handful of digital medium format cameras for students to use; Haliburtons, or hasslehoffs, or something like that."
-name withheld to protect dignity.
Toys

sponsored links
dukem80
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 21, 2010 03:18 |  #2

http://i241.photobucke​t.com …/ff30/dukem80/c​ontest.jpg (external link)

Did some color adjusting in LR

Couple different layers, one with a 10 pixel radius high pass filter for the background plants/trees, gradient mask added to not obscure the little one.

Another layer for the child, did some trade secret actions on.
Something else too..sorry but I can't remember :(

blsvlo
141 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 21, 2010 08:27 |  #3

unsharp mask, cropped, desaturatd, channel mixer and messed with the colors and checked monochrome, paintbrush, burned, dodged.. thanks

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I love my family:)
I use a Canon EOS rebel xs

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 21, 2010 11:24 as a reply to  @ blsvlo's post |  #4

- tried to white balance the image
- to pick up the orange in the girl's jacket I added some orange/red to turn it into a fall scene
- sharpened the girls face, hair, hands and some of the fence
- whitened up the girl's eye whites
- using the girl's head as the center point - I tried to darken up the surrounding parts of the image

IMAGE: http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8498/img6951a.jpg

jb2u
186 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 21, 2010 17:39 as a reply to  @ Palladium's post |  #5

Here is my try...
1. Unsharp Mask (Radius 1, Amount 0.23, Threshold 1)
2. Slight curves adjustment.
3. Create layer mask for background.
4. Desaturate background some.
5. Use clone brush to take away loose strands of hair on back of head.
6. Flatten Image
7. Create new layer
8. Use square select tool to create border.
9. feather selection by 250 px.
10. invert selection.
11. Use fill bucket with black
12. Adjust opacity of layer for vignette
13. flatten image.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3406/4627332597_e9dd070830_o.jpg

see flickr (external link)

My Flickr (external link)

jb2u
186 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 21, 2010 17:45 as a reply to  @ jb2u's post |  #6

I know that only the first one counts, but for general knowledge/variety...

1. USM (Radius 1, Amount 0.23, Threshold 1)
2. Filters - Decor - Grungy Photo
3. create new layer
3. select "scratchies" brush with black paint
4. Adjust opacity of "scratches"
5. flatten image

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/4627332621_a3504161ae_o.jpg

flickr page (external link)

richardyoung
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2002

May 22, 2010 17:09 |  #7

here is just a quick retouch..

2010-05-22 14:54:43 Photoshop open
Duplicate Layer
Color Film
Duplicate Layer
Portraiture
New Layer
Brush Tool
Brush Tool
Brush Tool
Brush Tool
Brush Tool
Brush Tool
Brush Tool
Brush Tool
Brush Tool
Brush Tool
Brush Tool
Brush Tool
Brush Tool
Brush Tool
Brush Tool
Brush Tool
Brush Tool
Brush Tool
Gaussian Blur
Duplicate Layer
PhotoTools 2.0 Professional Edition
Undo
Master Opacity Change
Layer Order
Crop
New Layer
Layer Order
Clone Stamp
Undo
Clone Stamp
Clone Stamp
Undo
Clone Stamp
Clone Stamp
Clone Stamp
Clone Stamp
Clone Stamp
Crop
Healing Brush
Undo
Clone Stamp
Clone Stamp
Clone Stamp
Clone Stamp
Clone Stamp
Undo
Clone Stamp
Convert to Smart Object
2010-05-22 14:59:43 File 1.psd saved
Flatten Image
PhotoFrame 4.0 Professional Edition
Merge Visible
Duplicate Layer
Gaussian Blur
Blending Change
Master Opacity Change
Blending Change
Add Layer Mask
Clone Stamp
Brush Tool
Brush Tool
Undo
Redo
Undo
Redo
Undo
Brush Tool
Brush Tool
Brush Tool
Brush Tool
Merge Down
2010-05-22 15:03:39 File 1.psd closed
2010-05-22 15:03:45 Photoshop quit

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

The Art of Erotica • In Vegas - Lets Meet (external link)

cheekychicas
63 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 22, 2010 22:31 as a reply to  @ richardyoung's post |  #8

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Duplicated layer
Flipped Horizontally
Brightened Shadows with a softlight levels layer
Added an overlay highpass layer at 2 to sharpen
Duplicated all layers and grouped
Rotated and straightened post and skewed the chainlinks straight
Up sized and moved to left to remove the background
Moved child to have eyes near upper third of screen and fence and body in thirds on left and right
Flatten
Added a lens correction vignette

Frances
Canon EOS 5DMk II | EF 24-70 f/2.8 L USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | EF 70-200 f/4 L | EF 135mm f/2 L | EF 20-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 50mm f/2.5 compact macro | 580 EXII

NigelD
I'm waiting....
6,869 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 23, 2010 07:51 |  #9

ACR adjustments for exposure and recovery then open in CS4.
Hue/Saturation adjustment
Patch tool for a couple of minor spots
50% grey new layer then lighten eyes slightly and highlights in hair.
Crop tightly, high pass sharpening in LAB mode
Flatten, stroke and save.

Nigel
http://nigeldaltonphot​ography.com/ (external link)

imanyabob
552 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 23, 2010 08:36 as a reply to  @ NigelD's post |  #10

http://i918.photobucke​t.com …gan/IMG_6951edi​t4POTN.jpg (external link)

I just did brightness/contrast, curve (to highlight the middle part of the picture), saturation, soften the face by adding gaussian blur, added textures (using brushes) and burned edges.

Call me Ima - it should be pronounced EEMA, not AYMA :D

My Blog (external link)

dwarfcow
THREAD ­ STARTER
640 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 24, 2010 03:12 |  #11

dukem80 wrote in post #10220045 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

You're edit added a good amount of needed contrast between the subject and the darker background (a very good example of why hair lights are so important for modeling shots; It looks like you were trying to lighten the image by cooling it down, but trying to avoid the blue hues that inevitably result from that, resulting in a greening overtone. it works with the background, but possible selective warming/ de-green saturation over the main subject would have helped keep her skin a little more healthy looking; i like the sharper lines on the chain link fence and think it most definitely benefited from looking a little colder.

blsvlo wrote in post #10220856 (external link)
IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

I really like what you brought out with the near-monochrome look, the color temp was so off, if i was to do something with this shot it would definitely be along the same lines you went. I like what you chose to crop, it draws the eyes to the main "meat" of the picture (the sprigs of new leafs don't really do much for the photo) i personally would have gone a little more portrait though (odd sizes always distract me even with pure "fine art" prints) its getting a little big on the obviously enlarged size, when judging i have it in a preview window at about.. 60% of your output's size and it looks good. I think the image would have benefited from a little less dodging over the areas between the face and the pole, its a double edged sword, if you lighten too much, it starts to looks weird unless you go all the way up to the chin and lip area, which starts to get to be a lot of work to fix if you get rid of your edge line. all in all i liked this edit alot.

Palladium wrote in post #10221702 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

wow! nice salvage work on the white balance, i like the subtle sharpening and lightness adjustment, you did a great job of utilizing the full spectrum of colors, from near pure white to black, and you have a good balance of sharp, but not too sharp. great work

jb2u wrote in post #10223624 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
The original image was a little lacking in background separation (due to being tilted as well as bad white balance) and i think the background de-saturation work well to correct that. Your white balance adjustment worked well also. Normally I'm not a fan of vignetting, but i think you played it well into your edit, I was somewhat of a fan of the crazy hair, and it kind of proved Hana isn't balding already, but it did kind of draw your eye to the sharp strands of hair in the middle of the shot. Good job as well.
see flickr (external link)

richardyoung wrote in post #10227881 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

while a little red around the middle, i like the contrast you achieved in your final edit. I also can appreciate the creative cloning you did and i think it worked well to remove the fence (its had to move that much out of a picture without it being noticeable) On the detractor side the picture lost a good deal of information as about why the child is blankly staring off to the side; but it does look like something that would be used commercially, organic baby food seems to come to mind. defiantly unique!

cheekychicas wrote in post #10229077 (external link)

Good use of the rule of 3rd's it was bugging me that it was perfectly centered before, i like the crop selection as well. it is starting to get a little pixleated at the final edit size, keeping it smaller might have looked cleaner

NigelD wrote in post #10230368 (external link)

excellent choice for cropping (i might be a little bias as it's my kid); you're brightness adjustment really did bring out the detail in the subject's hair, but i think it needed to have the canvass expanded a little to her right to make her face take up less of the image (its at 75% as is) also, you're image size stretched the pixels a little much; and the image quality distracted me (it was much better viewed around 300x300px) I always look forward to seeing your take on a given image on here, you definitely think outside the box and i like it a lot.

imanyabob wrote in post #10230482 (external link)

Ima (EEMA per you're sig)
Though my wife wife tends to disagree, i liked the use of texture in the picture, it didnt come across overdone, or distracting, i also like the burned vignetting, the two techniques combined gave a good vintage picture look overall. your color adjustments work; especially when coupled with the burned outline as it is hard to discern if it is too red or too green; the face is a little too smooth, but it seems bearable given the scratches very close to her face (yes, i know i dressed my daughter in a boyish jacket, my fault, not any of yours); given the darkness of the burnt border, the blacks need to be a little lighter in her hair , the exposure almost doesn't make sense as a result, but another favorite from the entries!

Overall, even though they called our daughter a boy, Palladium's edit worked the best for me. You all put in a good effort, the rule of the day is however: It's not how much you edit a picture that matters, its how you correctly assess what a picture needs to make it look right, less is more, at least in this go round.

Thank you all for your beautiful renditions; you're up palladium.

"Evidently the photo shop at the college I go to is one of the best in the country. They actually have a handful of digital medium format cameras for students to use; Haliburtons, or hasslehoffs, or something like that."
-name withheld to protect dignity.
Toys

NigelD
I'm waiting....
6,869 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 24, 2010 03:20 |  #12

Well done Palladium - nice warm edit.

@dwarfcow - thanks for your comments - I agree totally about your observation on the 75% - I should have cloned in more background from somewhere. I think the severe crop resulted in the pixelpushing!

Nigel
http://nigeldaltonphot​ography.com/ (external link)

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 24, 2010 07:34 |  #13

dwarfcow wrote in post #10234948 (external link)
...Overall, even though they called our daughter a boy, Palladium's edit worked the best for me. You all put in a good effort, the rule of the day is however: It's not how much you edit a picture that matters, its how you correctly assess what a picture needs to make it look right, less is more, at least in this go round.

Thank you all for your beautiful renditions; you're up palladium.

NigelD wrote in post #10234965 (external link)
Well done Palladium - nice warm edit.

it's Monday morning - just about 30 hours into raising my 2 new English Setter Pups (see https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=877118 ) not much time to anything but I'll try to get something up in a couple of minutes.

OK - Look Here for #285 https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=877800

jb2u
186 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 24, 2010 16:03 |  #14

Thank you for the critique dwarfcow.

Congratulations Palladium, a very nice edit!!!

blsvlo
141 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 24, 2010 20:39 |  #15

congrats Palladium:) Thanks for the critique also!!!!

I love my family:)
I use a Canon EOS rebel xs

sponsored links

2,990 views & 0 likes for this thread
Before & After 284
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.