Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 May 2010 (Friday) 17:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5dmkii - AF Point Expansion on AI Servo

Gometang
266 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 21, 2010 17:57 |  #1

Does anyone use this? What are your opinions about this versus just regular center-point AI Servo?

sponsored links
Delivery ­ Man
198 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 21, 2010 19:47 |  #2

As I understand the user manual on page 80, these 6 expansion points are always alive if you are in AI Servo AF mode. I believe they are active even if you have manually selected center point focusing (see page 180, C.Fn III - 7) but I could be incorrect in that assumption.

5D MkIII gripped, 5D MkII gripped, G12, EF 24-70 f/2.8L, EF 70-200 f/2.8 L, EF 16-35 f/2.8L II USM, EF 50 f/1.4 USM, EF 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro, Sigma 50-500 f/4.5-6.3 DG OS, Canon 2x III Ext, 530EX II, 430EX II, Lowepro Rolling Computrekker AW, Fastpack 200, Think Tank Holster 50, Cotton Carrier, Manfrotto 190XPROB w/ 222Joystick head.
Website (external link)

Gometang
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 21, 2010 20:24 |  #3

Thanks for responding. I know what it does, but I am hoping for some real world applications and if people are using the expansion for a lot of the AI Servo stuff they do.

davebmck
189 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 21, 2010 21:56 as a reply to  @ Gometang's post |  #4

I shoot mostly wildlife and a lot of birds in flight and activating the assist points definitely improves the AF. I generally use the center point only and having the assist points active helps in tracking a moving object.

Canon 5D Mark II, 1D Mark IV
Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS,
Canon 100mm F2.8 USM Macro, Canon 50mm F1.8
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS, Canon 500mm f/4L IS, Gitzo 3530LS Tripod, RRS BH-55 Ball Head
Canon 580EX II and 430EX Flash, Canon MR-14 EX Ring Flash

HKGuns
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined May 2008

May 21, 2010 22:02 |  #5

^^What he said^^ I use it as my primary method of focus for BIF.

mmahoney
Goldmember
2,789 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 23, 2010 09:37 |  #6

Gometang wrote in post #10223705 (external link)
Does anyone use this? What are your opinions about this versus just regular center-point AI Servo?

On the 5D2 only the center point is high sensitivity and cross pattern, so your AF may (actually probably will) expand to an area that does not have as good as AF as the center point.

And unless I'm mistaken AF expansion only applies when the AF point selection is automatic, in other words if you manually set the AF point to center then expansion is not available. The user guide is a ambiguous on this, so read page 80 of the guide for more info.

Even with 1D series bodies where the AF system is very capable most sports shooters will select center point only, so that should tell you something about the general opinion from experts on AF expansion, most feel it's a waste of time. With a 5D2 I'd stick to center point only for sure.

Newfoundland Wedding Photographer (external link)

HKGuns
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined May 2008

May 23, 2010 10:26 |  #7

mmahoney wrote in post #10230717 (external link)
On the 5D2 only the center point is high sensitivity and cross pattern, so your AF may (actually probably will) expand to an area that does not have as good as AF as the center point.

And unless I'm mistaken AF expansion only applies when the AF point selection is automatic, in other words if you manually set the AF point to center then expansion is not available. The user guide is a ambiguous on this, so read page 80 of the guide for more info.

Even with 1D series bodies where the AF system is very capable most sports shooters will select center point only, so that should tell you something about the general opinion from experts on AF expansion, most feel it's a waste of time. With a 5D2 I'd stick to center point only for sure.

I'm not sure about the 5D2, but you are mistaken as it refers to the 1D4 at least. AF expansion on the 1D4 surrounds the manually selected focus point. The 1D4 manual is quite specific about how many assist points are active around your selected focus point in the various areas of the focus grid.

mmahoney
Goldmember
2,789 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 23, 2010 11:37 |  #8

HKGuns wrote in post #10230907 (external link)
I'm not sure about the 5D2, but you are mistaken as it refers to the 1D4 at least. AF expansion on the 1D4 surrounds the manually selected focus point. The 1D4 manual is quite specific about how many assist points are active around your selected focus point in the various areas of the focus grid.

Yes, I'm unsure about the 1D3 and up but I was referring to the 1D and 1D2, not the 1D4 ..

Newfoundland Wedding Photographer (external link)

Delivery ­ Man
198 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 24, 2010 15:17 |  #9

[QUOTE=mmahoney;102307​17]

I believe page 180 clarifies that it does not have to be in Auto AF Point Selection mode, as long as you select AI Servo AF and the center AF point, even if you do that manually the six assist points will function.

That ambigous statement on page 80 simply is trying (very poorly) to make the point that in Auto Selection mode this will work also since the Auto mode starts with the center focus point.

5D MkIII gripped, 5D MkII gripped, G12, EF 24-70 f/2.8L, EF 70-200 f/2.8 L, EF 16-35 f/2.8L II USM, EF 50 f/1.4 USM, EF 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro, Sigma 50-500 f/4.5-6.3 DG OS, Canon 2x III Ext, 530EX II, 430EX II, Lowepro Rolling Computrekker AW, Fastpack 200, Think Tank Holster 50, Cotton Carrier, Manfrotto 190XPROB w/ 222Joystick head.
Website (external link)

sponsored links

2,593 views & 0 likes for this thread
5dmkii - AF Point Expansion on AI Servo
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.