Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 May 2010 (Saturday) 11:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Banding on 5d2 but not on another.

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 27, 2010 16:48 |  #31

It is sort of fixed - the maze is gone but at 200 there is still a pattern. If only Nikon had a small body FF about 20mp. Im thinking switch - but too what?? No not the D700 it does not cut it in the MP.

:)

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

sponsored links
John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,965 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 28, 2010 08:02 |  #32

Bill Boehme wrote in post #10244570 (external link)
I also see an indication that the image has been tone-mapped -- depending on the amount of tone mapping, that may explain what you are seeing. Anytime that you drag darker parts of an image out of the gloomy depths where they reside into the light of day, it will also drag along the ugliness of the dark areas.

Yes, it is usually noisier down there, but there doesn't have to be banding, nor any noise due to simply being under-exposed; it shouldn't be any worse than using a higher ISO, except that the camera adds ugly noises, which aren't a necessity of physical reality, or of under-exposure, per se.

And, don't forget that even a one stop increase in brightness means that each incremental tone step will be equivalent to two incremental tone steps in brightness of a correctly exposed area. Although the effect is very faint, you might also want to take a peek at the histogram to see if any "picket fencing" is starting to develop.

Well, no Canon suffers from posterized RAW data. They always have more than enough bits in the RAW not to suffer. Looking at the RAW histogram in general is not enough to determine if there is visible posterization. One histogram could be solid, and the other with gaps or doubled-up spikes, and the former could actually be more posterized, if it has a lot less noise.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,965 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 28, 2010 08:05 |  #33

HKGuns wrote in post #10251734 (external link)
Sorry, I have 1D4 not 5D2 AND I have better ways to spend my time. If I can't see issues in the shadows of a real picture I'm not going to go looking for problems. by taking pictures of my lens cap.

The 1D4, from the samples I've seen, has the same low-ISo problem as the 5D2. Unbanded Canon shadows seem to be history, at this point. Even at high ISOs, 1D4s have blackpoint calibration issues between odd and even lines which keep them from being even less noisy at very high ISOs.

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 28, 2010 08:36 |  #34

zincozinco wrote in post #10257615 (external link)
It is sort of fixed - the maze is gone but at 200 there is still a pattern. If only Nikon had a small body FF about 20mp. Im thinking switch - but too what?? No not the D700 it does not cut it in the MP.

:)

Sony

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

magwai
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 28, 2010 10:27 |  #35

that looks like a jpeg artifact to me.

if you use DPP or PS to view a raw file do you see them?

edit: pls ignore, read the mouse maze thread now. interesting.

i have pixel-peeped mine often enough to know there is nothing like that there.

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 28, 2010 11:54 |  #36

magwai wrote in post #10261414 (external link)
that looks like a jpeg artifact to me.

if you use DPP or PS to view a raw file do you see them?

edit: pls ignore, read the mouse maze thread now. interesting.

i have pixel-peeped mine often enough to know there is nothing like that there.

Maybe you should read it all - there was a problem and it does exist but not on all 5d2s.

Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

czynot
198 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 28, 2010 12:28 |  #37

zincozinco wrote in post #10261912 (external link)
Maybe you should read it all - there was a problem and it does exist but not on all 5d2s.

ture. My 5D dont have any problem. I dont have lines or mazes even at 6400 ISO. This maze or noise banding shows up in some 7D, 5D and 1D/s.
7D has noise banding show up once in a blue moon or when the sensor get hot.
I wrote "high iso at dark picture show noise banding" this is just to show that noise banding is there in high iso. Not that I have any of this problem at 200ISO or 6400ISO.
Not that i take pic with cap on. But y not? "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

5D MKII, 24-70mm L, 18-55mm IS,70-200mm 2.8L IS, 50mm 1.8, 100mm Macro, 2-580EX

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 28, 2010 13:27 |  #38

again - this is not an high ISO problem - its a faulty main board and system buss and can be seen on all isos and on all exposures of any kind under all circumstances and then some :)

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 01, 2010 09:18 |  #39

Camera is back into CPS Spain. I dont wanna be an ass....e but since there is class action suits for faulty antennas on iphone and what not , this is quite a legit reason - it has cost me altogether 3 weeks of work and airline tickets, car rental hotel etc....

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 01, 2010 09:32 |  #40

this is what it looks like after canon service, I have tonemapped one so that the problem is more obvious.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 01, 2010 09:35 |  #41

p.s i dont want this to be a one man band, but i hope that the irony of my "LAw suit" shines through - I just want it fixed :)

swag72
465 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 04, 2010 10:37 |  #42

Interesting read. My 5D2 went back to CPS in Spain (Barcelona) due to my LCD dying. It has come back from the menders and is now exhibiting the maize pattern. Never did it before, I would definately have noticed this before as it took my breath away.

So, do I contact CPS again? What can be done about it?

Catch my pictures on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/​photos/swag72/ (external link)

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 29, 2010 06:51 |  #43

A very important update to 5d2 owners. I have just received a new in box 5d2 from Canon. They acknowledged the problem.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 29, 2010 18:40 |  #44

Good :)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

swag72
465 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 30, 2010 05:35 |  #45

That's good news - My 5D2 has been sent off to Canon UK and they said that they had dealt with this issue before as well. Not sure I'll end up with a new camera, but I'll be happy with it being fixed.

Catch my pictures on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/​photos/swag72/ (external link)

sponsored links

8,164 views & 0 likes for this thread
Banding on 5d2 but not on another.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.