Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 22 May 2010 (Saturday) 13:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Seeing is believing - moon photography

David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

May 22, 2010 13:51 |  #1

OK, seeing that I noticed so many first time moon photographs popping up in this forum, I thought I shuold try it again. I used to have a Canon AV-1 with a Vititar 70-210mm lens. My move to a 1n and later to a 40D left me without the ability to use the 210mm.

If I remember correct the old rule was that every 100mm will give you 1mm on FF film. With this in mind, I strapped my 28-70mm to the 40D and pointed it upwards.

1/125 and F11 - ISO 400 (only noticed the 400 part in post processing. Thought I had it lower)

I found this guide: http://home.hiwaay.net …ol/Astro/moon/h​owtophoto/ (external link)

Any comments? Ths looks a lot like SLR information and not DSLR. My feeling is that it should still apply, but the cropped bodies may add a few things to remember.

The shot below is a 100% crop of the 70mm result

DRH

DonR
262 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 23, 2010 10:00 |  #2

Hi David,

Focus may be a bit soft, but it's pretty hard to tell at 70mm - just not enough pixels. A little careful sharpening in Photoshop might make all the difference.

That rule of thumb about 35mm film is pretty close to true, and it applies to digital sensors as well, no matter what the size. The difference is how much of the sensor that 1mm occupies.

Your exposure looks pretty good. The "rule of 11" for lunar exposure calculation is based on the full moon, and states that the correct exposure is approximately 1/ISO at f/11. The quarter moon requires about 4 times the exposure length of the full moon. The moon in your photo is just past first quarter, so the rule of 11 would suggest a little slower than 1/100 at f/11, which is what you used.

It is important to remember that all exposure rules for lunar photography are approximate, as the actual exposure needed depends on the precise phase of the moon, the altitude of the moon above the horizon and the clarity of the atmosphere. So you should always bracket, and check the results on the LCD between shots.

The article by Keith Cooley is well done and contains a lot of good information, but it was written in 2001. The moon hasn't changed much since then, but digital photography has! If you disregard most of the comments he makes about digital photography, you can glean some good information that is applicable to any form of lunar photography from that article.

Don

David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 23, 2010 13:40 |  #3

DonR wrote in post #10230792 (external link)
Hi David,

Your exposure looks pretty good. The "rule of 11" for lunar exposure calculation is based on the full moon, and states that the correct exposure is approximately 1/ISO at f/11. The quarter moon requires about 4 times the exposure length of the full moon. The moon in your photo is just past first quarter, so the rule of 11 would suggest a little slower than 1/100 at f/11, which is what you used.

Don

Thanks,

Yes, I know that my shot is nothing to go by, because it is a 100% crop of a small moon :-) I just had it in there as an example of futility with 70mm.

I know someone with a 200mm, maybe an F4 L. I am going to see whether it is possible to pay them a visit. We can then have a better attempt.

David

DRH

David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 23, 2010 13:47 |  #4

Here is the full pic without any cropping :-) very small moon :-) I doubt if anything will be sharp if cropped to see a respectible size.

DRH

BlueAqua
33 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 08, 2010 11:06 |  #5

I love moon shots.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,126 views & 0 likes for this thread
Seeing is believing - moon photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.