Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 25 May 2010 (Tuesday) 06:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Q about shipping camera gear

Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 25, 2010 06:53 |  #1

I'm in Japan now and will have to go to Brazil for work (and cameras are forbidden at the location I will be going). My next bet is to ship my equipment back to my residence in the US. I have shipped lenses and bodies, but not my entire kit.

Outside of the obvious (packing REALLY REALLY, REALLY good), are there any other recommendations for keeping my equipment safe AND accounted for? I thought UPS and FED EX. But the prices are outrageous and I have seen what both companies have done to "fragile" equipment.

Anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks.

-Andy-

sponsored links
CW ­ Jones
737 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 25, 2010 06:58 |  #2

Insurance. Even if it costs you more money, LOTS on insurance to make sure its all covered.

-Collin
Canon 30D Gripped + The "Budget Trinity" of lenses.
Full Gear List Here
Flickr (external link)
Razzi (external link)

e02937
Goldmember
2,714 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 25, 2010 06:59 |  #3

UPS/FedEx with a massive amount of insurance on the package. It ain't going to be cheap, but those are your two best bets.

If well insured, you can file a claim if they mess up the packages. If I were you, I would make sure to document the packaging, take pics as you are loading the boxes up to show they were very well packed and secured to avoid having them tell you "insufficient packaging" or the like.

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

photoPanda
616 posts
Joined May 2010

May 25, 2010 07:00 |  #4

I've seen the local big name courier companies drop-kick packages as I was leaving their depot after picking up a lens... I can only imagine that the same happened to the box my lens was in.

Insurance, insurance, insurance. Also pack them well. :p

Livinthalife
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 25, 2010 07:01 |  #5

Thanks. I will do both: take pics of packing & Bunch of INS. Appreciate it!

-Andy-

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 25, 2010 08:12 |  #6

Double box everything. Hopefully you have original packaging for your camera(s) and lenses. Put gear in original packaging, wrap in bubble wrap, place in larger carton, fill with peanuts or more bubble wrap. Tape well.

Insure for replacement value and ship FedEx Int'l Economy service, (called "IE" in the FedEx world) from Japan to US. FedEx will not disappoint.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 25, 2010 11:30 |  #7

Pure and simple - make the case as near as indestructable as possible with everything as secure as possible within it - a Pelican Case would be a prime candidate.

Insure it for renewal value not for current worth.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 27, 2010 19:50 |  #8

I ship in pelicans, I go to a UPS store and buy their box, their insurance, their peanuts, they see the pelican open, see that I have a picture of it's contents, and I see how it is boxed. It costs me plenty, but time is money and trying to get a insurance check from a third party insurer or fight anyone about the packaging and such is going to be more expensive than just using the UPS store and letting them do the work.
By the way, I have never had a shipping problem, never had anything returned after repair with the pelican missing, never even had a missed delivery or a delay of more than a few days due to weather.

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

sponsored links

1,623 views & 0 likes for this thread
Q about shipping camera gear
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.