Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 26 May 2010 (Wednesday) 20:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How soft is the rear element?

YseanY
160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 26, 2010 20:52 |  #1

So i was at a buddy's place and a friend (not a photographer) asked to see my camera/lens. Without too much thought, i gave it to him to shoot while i went to use the restroom and grab some food. when i return, i noticed that he had a bottle of lens cleaner (for glasses) and lens cloth (looks like a generic cloth that comes with cases/glasses). he was cleaning my lens! he said he saw finger prints on the lens (i think he accidentally touched the rear element while changing lens) and wanted to clean it up for me. being a meticulous with my stuff, i politely asked him to stop so i can have it clean with the correct materials.

So my question, how soft is the rear element's coating? obviously, the best materials were not used to clean the lens, but after i cleaned it up at home, everything looked. i shined light through it and i got the different color reflections, like on my other lens. pictures look good still. can any harm have been done with his cleaning? how can i tell if the coating was rubbed off?

sponsored links
Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 26, 2010 21:08 |  #2

Canon, or any manufacture, I am sure realizes that at some point you are going to clean the lens with less than ideal materials and makes the lens accordingly. I know several pro photographers that use spit and the t shirt they are wearing to clean the lens. No problems that can be seen. You are being a bit over protective. That can be a good thing at times, it can keep you out of trouble. But is not always needed.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

frankchn
459 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 26, 2010 22:36 as a reply to  @ Mark1's post |  #3

The coating, if correctly applied on the lens during the manufacturing process, should not come off unless you use metal to scratch it.

photoPanda
616 posts
Joined May 2010

May 26, 2010 22:41 |  #4

I've cleaned my rear elements with lens tissues and Windex many times with no adverse effects. No coating loss!

YseanY
THREAD ­ STARTER
160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 26, 2010 23:39 |  #5

Thanks everyone. I just wanted to check as when I searched on the subject, it seemed that some people say the rear element is quite soft and some rubbed off the rear coating on the glass with some elbow grease. So I wanted look for some reassurance that the lens is still in good condition.

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 27, 2010 08:14 |  #6

The coloring that can be seen does change from moisture. But it does not rub off. Much like frosted glass is much less frosted when it is wet. You can wipe it "dry" but there is still enough moisture on the glass to make the frosting look a lot less.

YseanY
THREAD ­ STARTER
160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 27, 2010 10:56 |  #7

Mark1 wrote in post #10254921 (external link)
The coloring that can be seen does change from moisture. But it does not rub off. Much like frosted glass is much less frosted when it is wet. You can wipe it "dry" but there is still enough moisture on the glass to make the frosting look a lot less.

Is the coating what makes the glass look colored?

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 27, 2010 11:04 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

What he used to clean your lens was very adquate. Dont see really why you reacted that way.

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,558 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 27, 2010 11:21 |  #9

Brain Mechanic wrote in post #10255791 (external link)
What he used to clean your lens was very adquate. Dont see really why you reacted that way.

Why shouldn't he?
He didn't know if that was appropriate, and sought help...

Sounds like a proper thing to do!

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV
24-105L, 100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
Sig35A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 27, 2010 11:27 |  #10

YseanY wrote in post #10255740 (external link)
Is the coating what makes the glass look colored?

yes.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,109 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

May 27, 2010 11:30 |  #11

i would have been pissed. if the rear element was dirty he should have told me.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

YseanY
THREAD ­ STARTER
160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 27, 2010 15:35 |  #12

i wasn't rude about it or anything, i just told him i'll take care of it. but being very meticulous, i tend to care for my things a little more than others, especially on $1k lens. so i wanted to to check with others to see if there'd be any harm with what he used (mainly glasses cleaning solution) and how i can see if any of the coating was damaged since i read some people rubbing off the coating.

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 27, 2010 15:49 |  #13

"since i read some people rubbing off the coating."

please provide links. i'm interested in reading into this.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

YseanY
THREAD ­ STARTER
160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 27, 2010 16:41 |  #14

c2thew wrote in post #10257336 (external link)
"since i read some people rubbing off the coating."

please provide links. i'm interested in reading into this.

I'm not sure if they've ACTUALLY removed the coating, but this is why i'm asking as i'm not sure if it is possible or easily done.

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=10000864&p​ostcount=5

https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=5689010&p​ostcount=7

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 27, 2010 18:02 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

As said before, lenses are harder than people think. It dont mean you should be careless with them of course.

Its similar to the believe that newborns are very delicate when in fact are very resilient...just imagine how traumatic the act of birth is! LOL!

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,765 views & 0 likes for this thread
How soft is the rear element?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.