Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 27 May 2010 (Thursday) 17:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

White Uniforms - Please Help!!!

Pipernails
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

May 27, 2010 17:53 |  #1

My son received his travel baseball uniforms earlier today. They are as follows:

Home = White Pants/White Shirt (with blue letters)
Away = White Pants/Blue Shirt (with white letters)

Can someone please tell me how I can achieve the proper exposure with white uniforms? How and where should I meter?

I shoot with the Mark III 1D, 70-200 2.8.

I would appreciate any suggestions, opinions, and advice!

Thanks so much,
Laura

sponsored links
canons900
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 27, 2010 19:09 |  #2

Expose for the faces or the uniforms. Depends on a lot of factors as how close you can balance both.

Dan-o
Goldmember
3,539 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 27, 2010 20:20 |  #3

Expose for skin tones and forget about the rest.

Danny.
DMunsonPhoto (external link)
Cycling Illustrated (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)

Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 27, 2010 21:54 |  #4

Dan-o wrote in post #10258546 (external link)

+1

I am assuming you are planning to shoot manual.

Name: Kevin
Follow my daily work at www.ks-images.com (external link) and feel free to C&C anything I post.
Gear List
More money than skill - but I'm working on it

ameerat42
588 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 27, 2010 22:00 |  #5

Hi Pipernails. Tell him to put the uniform on and go from there, you can have a free run of the lighting conditions before any major shoot. Am.

Lacks_focus
Goldmember
1,025 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 28, 2010 05:37 as a reply to  @ ameerat42's post |  #6

AWB on the MK3 is pretty good. It can be tricked in mixed lighting, but it seems to hold on well. You can also try one of the other settings for WB. Better yet, buy a gray card and make a custom WB when you're at the venue.

Here's an example of mixed lighting and the MK3's AWB. The house lights are white fluorescents, the yellow you see are these big overheard "toaster ovens" that are used for heat in the stands. When I was shooting with my old MK2, and these were on, the pics would have a blue cast. The MK3 does not seem to be as effected. If all else fails, you can always shoot RAW/JPG until you figure out what works for you.

IMAGE: http://lacks-focus.smugmug.com/BCL-Hockey-2009-2010-Season/BCL-vs-Avon-9JAN10-Avon-2-0/DLEV3076/761640705_ozKNu-XL-1.jpg

1D MKIII | FujiFilm X10 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 70-200 f/2.8 | 135 f/2 | 85 f/1.8 | 580EX |
lacks-focus.smugmug.com (external link)

CatchingUp
Goldmember
1,836 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

May 28, 2010 10:04 |  #7

Seems to me it's a tad easier to lighten up a darker face than it is to fill a washed out white jersey. But playing around with it will be your best route and come up with what works best for you. Good luck.

Tony
I use Canon gear...have several bodies and lenses and am quite pleased with them.

"A person's gift will make room for itself."

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 28, 2010 11:05 |  #8

Lacks_focus wrote in post #10260301 (external link)
AWB on the MK3 is pretty good. It can be tricked in mixed lighting, but it seems to hold on well. You can also try one of the other settings for WB. Better yet, buy a gray card and make a custom WB when you're at the venue.

Here's an example of mixed lighting and the MK3's AWB. The house lights are white fluorescents, the yellow you see are these big overheard "toaster ovens" that are used for heat in the stands. When I was shooting with my old MK2, and these were on, the pics would have a blue cast. The MK3 does not seem to be as effected. If all else fails, you can always shoot RAW/JPG until you figure out what works for you.

http://lacks-focus.smugmug.com …/761640705_ozKN​u-XL-1.jpg (external link)

:lol: wow that is just awful
white background white ice white uniforms

i think that's a great job on that shot
what did the histogram look like?

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

Sledhed
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 28, 2010 14:24 |  #9

Dan-o wrote in post #10258546 (external link)

Danny got it right.

Chris
Gear List | Website (external link) | Sports Sample Pictures (external link) | Four Seam Images (external link)

If you’re good at something, never do it for free. - The Joker

packpe89
731 posts
Joined May 2007

May 28, 2010 14:57 |  #10

My sons unis are either burgandy or white, I know hwat you mean. First off shoot manual. On grass fields, I always expose on the grass about +1/3, which seems to get the faces properly exposed.

Canon 7D, 40D, 300f2.8L, 70-200f2.8L IS, Sigma 30f1.4, 60EF-S 2.8 Macro, 15-85EF-S , Sigma 10-20, A couple of flashes, strobes and stuff.

ppolla
92 posts
Joined May 2010

May 29, 2010 13:50 as a reply to  @ packpe89's post |  #11

i think you will be OK with AWB...but on white uniforms AF could think for a millisecond longer...and not always be tack sharp...

Canon 1D MkIV | 16-35 f/2.8L | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS mk2 | 580EX II Speedlite
Paolo Polla Sports Photography Website (external link) - Become a Fan on Facebook (external link) - Sports Shooter (external link)

MMX
418 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 29, 2010 15:00 |  #12

Ask Ku-Klux-Klan, they must know that :D

I would rather slightly underexpose the photos or at least watch the histogram to avoid completely blown out areas, when the uniforms are white, you don´t have to be worried about noise.

Canon EOS 40D, Canon EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS, Canon EF 50 f/1.4, Sigma 120-400 f/4.5-5.6 OS, Canon Speedlite 580EX II
Manfrotto 055 XPROB + Manfrotto 322RC2, Manfrotto 679B + Manfrotto 234

Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

May 30, 2010 10:41 |  #13

Meter for the ambient light and set your camera to manual. Doesn't matter at that point whether the uniforms are black or white --- you will be exposing properly all the time.

Dave Hoffmann

dmwierz
Goldmember
2,376 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 06, 2010 11:13 |  #14

It's usually best to get the faces correctly exposed at the risk of some highlights blowing out on uni's and such. One rule of thumb I've used when shooting manual is to expose for the grass then add 1 stop. In other words, if the grass meters at f/2.8 ISO 200 and 1/1600s, one stop brighter as in f/2.8 ISO 400 and 1/1600s.

You can also shoot AV (which I do often on partly cloudy days or when there are lotsa shadows) and add a little +EV.

http://www.denniswierz​bicki.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/dmwierz (external link)

Dennis "
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."

Gary ­ Wiant
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 06, 2010 20:04 as a reply to  @ dmwierz's post |  #15

So if you are metering off of the grass, I assume you are doing 2 things,
1.) Using Spot Metering
2.) Using One-Shot not AI Servo

I'm not being a smart-a** I'm just tring to learn. what is the advantage to using Spot over evaluative?

if you are shooting action shots isn't AI Servo much faster?

Thanks for the help

Gary Wiant
1D mk IV - 1D mkIII - Eos- M - 70-200mm F2.8 IS Mk II - 24-105L f4 - 50 f1.4 - 100 2.8 Macro - M22mm - M18-55 - Canon Ef-Ef-s to M converter - 1.4x VIII & 2x VII extenders - 540EXII Flash, Flash Zebra SF-18 Ext. Battery Pack, Kenko Extension Tubes - Manfroto Macro Bracket - Lensalign Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

5,212 views & 0 likes for this thread
White Uniforms - Please Help!!!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.