Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 27 May 2010 (Thursday) 22:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

TT Retrospective 30

mitch2k1
130 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 27, 2010 22:26 |  #1

Just received my R30 yesterday. First off, the material and construction is top notch. Think Tank makes some of the best bags available and this line is fantastic. As far as room, the bag can hold more than I feel like carrying on a regular basis. I have a 7D w/ 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400mm L, 17-40mm L, Zeiss 50mm 1.4 and filters, misc accessories. I can easily carry my 5D MK II with grip in one of the front pockets a flash in the other, and the 24-70 inside the bag. The interior organizer panel works well, as do the internal pouches on each end. The external pouches on the ends are too small in my opinion, but I like 1 lt bottles. The shoulder strap is comfortable initially, I'll have to see what I think after a day of carrying the bag. This bag is definitely more discrete than your typical Lowepro or Tamrac bags, and more so than either the TT UD50 or Speed Racer I have. Over the years I have owned several bags, from the Lowepro Stealth Reporter 650AW, Domke F-2, too many other's to recall here. This bag fits my needs much better than either of those for a day walking the streets. Since I've only had the bag a day I won't recommend it blindly. After using the bag for a few days I'll post any further thoughts.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Gear List:
Canon 5D MkIII
24-105mm f4L 70-200mm f2.8L Zeiss 50mm 1.4 Zeiss 18mm 3.5 Zeiss 25mm 2.0 100mm 2.8 Macro USM

sponsored links
jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 27, 2010 22:33 |  #2

your shots have to be hosted online somewhere. Once you have that taken care of (flickr has free accounts if you don't have one anywhere yet) then right click the image wherever you have it online, select "copy image location" then click this icon:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

a little window will pop up, just click in there and paste the location you copied earlier and you're good to go.

I got my r10 yesterday and also love it.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 27, 2010 22:37 |  #3

jacobsen1 wrote in post #10259171 (external link)
your shots have to be hosted online somewhere. Once you have that taken care of (flickr has free accounts if you don't have one anywhere yet) then right click the image wherever you have it online, select "copy image location" then click this icon:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

a little window will pop up, just click in there and paste the location you copied earlier and you're good to go.

Talk to us in two weeks. The amount of "love" of a bag is inversely proportional to the time you've had it. ;)

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

lr0868
540 posts
Joined May 2008

May 27, 2010 22:51 |  #4

I got the TT20 and it is pretty darn big, VERY well made...so I can only imagine how big the 30 is. I like that I can carry the 7D with the 300 F4 mounted.

~Lisa~
T2i| 580EXII| Tokina 11-16 | Tamron 17-50VC| 28 1.8 |85 1.8|100L | 70-200 F4 L IS |Canon 1.4XII TC

my flickr (external link)

mitch2k1
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 27, 2010 22:54 |  #5

jacobsen1 wrote in post #10259171 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND

The photos are online, just not showing in the post. As for loving a bag, I think you need more than a week to know if the bag is worthy of recommendation let alone love.

Gear List:
Canon 5D MkIII
24-105mm f4L 70-200mm f2.8L Zeiss 50mm 1.4 Zeiss 18mm 3.5 Zeiss 25mm 2.0 100mm 2.8 Macro USM

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 27, 2010 22:55 |  #6

mitch2k1 wrote in post #10259283 (external link)
The photos are online, just not showing in the post. As for loving a bag, I think you need more than a week to know if the bag is worthy of recommendation let alone love.

Exactly right. For example, every bag is "loved" for the first two hours after it is delivered or purchased.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 28, 2010 07:28 |  #7

JohnJ80 wrote in post #10259195 (external link)
Talk to us in two weeks. The amount of "love" of a bag is inversely proportional to the time you've had it. ;)

mitch2k1 wrote in post #10259283 (external link)
As for loving a bag, I think you need more than a week to know if the bag is worthy of recommendation let alone love.

JohnJ80 wrote in post #10259286 (external link)
Exactly right. For example, every bag is "loved" for the first two hours after it is delivered or purchased.

:lol:

yeah, sure, maybe LOVE was too strong a word, but I've owned a LOT of bags (and reviewed them all here or on my blog) and my initial reactions are usually pretty good. If I like a bag out of the box I tend to like it for a year or more. If I'm luke warm to a bag out of the box I usually HATE it in a few weeks or a month. It's a cycle that's repeated itself for the last ~10 year pretty consistently.

I'm more confident in the r10's status because it's replacing the UD30 that I loved... That and the boda were the first 2 bags I really liked. The boda doesn't work well with the lenses I switched to when I went Nikon though so it's out. I've had my UD30 for a little less than a year, but AFTER I got it they announced the retros. So I know what's changed and for the most part it's all better over the UD series for what I like. I know the strap and the inserts on the retro aren't perfect for me, but it's still a bag that's damn close to perfect for what I'm looking for.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 28, 2010 09:08 |  #8

jacobsen1 wrote in post #10260571 (external link)
:lol:

yeah, sure, maybe LOVE was too strong a word, but I've owned a LOT of bags (and reviewed them all here or on my blog) and my initial reactions are usually pretty good. If I like a bag out of the box I tend to like it for a year or more. If I'm luke warm to a bag out of the box I usually HATE it in a few weeks or a month. It's a cycle that's repeated itself for the last ~10 year pretty consistently.

I'm more confident in the r10's status because it's replacing the UD30 that I loved... That and the boda were the first 2 bags I really liked. The boda doesn't work well with the lenses I switched to when I went Nikon though so it's out. I've had my UD30 for a little less than a year, but AFTER I got it they announced the retros. So I know what's changed and for the most part it's all better over the UD series for what I like. I know the strap and the inserts on the retro aren't perfect for me, but it's still a bag that's damn close to perfect for what I'm looking for.

I'm a recovering bag-a-holic too.

If you really, really liked the other bags, why this one? See what I mean?

;)

J.

Obsessive Gear List

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 28, 2010 09:47 |  #9

JohnJ80 wrote in post #10260960 (external link)
If you really, really liked the other bags, why this one? See what I mean?

I haven't liked the other bags... I've had ~20 bags in my life? I've liked my boda, my DIY bag, and my UD30. The boda's zipper failed and they refunded me (the replacements are different and I don't like them). The boda also doesn't work with my nikon kit due to different lens sizes. The UD30 is the other bag I liked. It only got sold to fund this bag. The UD30 was also bought to do two rolls and one of those has since been covered by a bag for that specific roll ONLY (chest bag). My DIY bag I liked because I made it closer to what I wanted than I could buy, but it was limited by bag and insert selection...

But basically, out of all those bags, I've liked three (now four) and tolerated the rest. These three (now four) bags that I liked in the beginning I liked in the end but upgraded for whatever reason. The bags I tolerated I ended up hating eventually.

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 28, 2010 09:59 |  #10

That makes sense.

My list of favorite bags are the Tilopa, the TT Changeup, the TT belt system - and that's it.

Why is it so difficult to make a decent camera bag?

J.

Obsessive Gear List

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.

May 28, 2010 11:13 |  #11

JohnJ80 wrote in post #10261259 (external link)
That makes sense.

J.

I know exactly what you mean! I want a bag, that when fully loaded, weighs half as much as the sum of its parts and only takes up one third the space of an empty one. You would think that by now, the better bag manufacturers would have already designed one like this.

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.com (external link) (remove the dashes)

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 28, 2010 11:27 |  #12

LOL

I think if we all learned to carry less, we'd be well served. Photogs are gadget freaks and they have to have more gadgets than they really need with them at all times.

J.

Obsessive Gear List

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 28, 2010 13:29 |  #13

JohnJ80 wrote in post #10261259 (external link)
My list of favorite bags are the Tilopa, the TT Changeup, the TT belt system - and that's it.

the tilopa is too big but the loka is looking good... ;)

because we all want different things and use different gear. So instead of making ~20 different bags, they try to make one that's OK for everyone. It's like all season tires for cars. They suck equally at everything. Some bag guys (TT, fstop, boda) are going after the specialty markets though, finally.

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 28, 2010 20:18 |  #14

I'm figuring that my final set up is going to be the Tilopa, the Loka, the Changeup and maybe one of these R10's.

Is the Retrospective in black made from ballistic or is it something else? I'm not wild about the phony distressed look in the lighter color. I like to "distress" them myself.

J.

Obsessive Gear List

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 29, 2010 11:09 |  #15

not sure what it is, but it LOOKS like canvas... :lol:

Yeah, I shot with this yesterday on an arch shoot and it was perfect. Today landscaping I had some issues with my filters easily fitting back into their slot thanks to the divider's velcro sucking... I'm getting UD dividers come hell or high water... But I like the size a lot, my only consideration is if I get a R30 for the extra 3"... It'd make my filters easier to deal with, but I don't NEED that space.

I just like compact bags, this is the perfect small size for my kit. The R10 would add more space which would mean I could take more if I HAD to, or I could leave it empty, or it could make my filters easier to use. But it also means a bigger bag day to day (when I only carry the camera and 2 lenses.

IBIendupwithboth

Can someone with a 30 measure the inside for me, or maybe even take a shot with a ruler inside? I need to know the width (the only different dimension). I know it's listed but I'd rather see it how we see it, not "officially" if you know what I mean.

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

sponsored links

9,871 views & 0 likes for this thread
TT Retrospective 30
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.