Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 Jun 2010 (Tuesday) 08:23
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Which lens should I rent for my Galveston Beach Vacation?"
16-35mm f/2.8L
27.5%
35mm f/1.4L
20%
70-200mm f/2.8L IS (I or II)
45%
Other (post your choice)
7.5%

40 voters, 40 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Beach Vacation, Lens Rental Question

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 01, 2010 08:23 |  #1

Ok, so I'm going to Galveston in a few weeks with my family (3 total families), and I'm going to rent a lens to take along with me, trying to decide which lens to rent.

I want to obviously take beach shots, so I thought wide angle from the 16-35 might be good, I'm going to try to capture "lifestyle" portraits as well, of my 1 year old son, my 3 year old nephew and all our family members...so I also thought trying out the 35L prime might be good here.

Then I'm also thinking the 70-200 would capture me some great moments as well...

I'll post up a poll and see what you all think, throwing ideas out there for me to consider too!
Keep in mind what lenses I already own and will be taking with me, from my signature.

Thanks.

sponsored links
westernminnguy
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 01, 2010 08:45 |  #2

I just bought one for this very same reason...the beach.

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …goryid=2590&mod​elid=18332 (external link)

:)

IMAGES (external link)

VIDEO YouTube (external link)

VIDEO Vimeo (external link)

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 01, 2010 09:11 |  #3

westernminnguy wrote in post #10281423 (external link)
I just bought one for this very same reason...the beach.

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …goryid=2590&mod​elid=18332 (external link)

Well, I'm not wanting a new camera, just to rent a lens. Not taking under water shots, just want some good, memories of my family. Thanks for the suggestion.

kinghong1970
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 01, 2010 09:19 |  #4

i was at the beach a year ago with my XSi and 2 lenses... either Sigma 30 1.4 or the Sigma 150

1) changing lenses on the beach is a pain in the arse.
2) 150 was a bit long... although it did help get some pics of my family playing in the water...
3) more gear means i was stuck to my equipment... keeping eye on it.

in conclusion, i think your 24-70 should cover nicely... you don't need that much of a reach with your kids being so young, no?

Albert the Clumsy Ape
GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET (external link) | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 01, 2010 09:21 |  #5

Yeah he won't be that far out in the water. I just really want a reason to try a new lens out, and help me to decide on what I might purchase next, so I want to rent one for vacation that would compliment my lenses so far...

KRUSH
Goldmember
1,257 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 01, 2010 09:27 as a reply to  @ ChrisMc73's post |  #6

If you're going to rent anything, I would recommend the 70-200. Your 24-70 should cover nicely for everything else (I think this was mentioned before). You should be set.

The presence of the observer changes the nature of the observed...
Canon EOS 5D Mk II | Gear List & Feedback
For Sale: Canon S5 IS |

cubangixxer
92 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 01, 2010 09:32 as a reply to  @ ChrisMc73's post |  #7

My recommendation isn't on the lens ... its to find a better beach to take your family to. Galveston is kinda nasty ... I have lived 45 mins away from Galveston for the last 10 years, and I've been to the beach twice just to hang out ... one of those times was just to photograph the destruction cause by hurricane Ike.
If possible, go down a little further to Corpus Christi or South Padre Island ... huge difference in beach quality! Not to mention some nicer photos!

Canon XTi | Canon 15-55 IS | Canon 55-250 IS | Tamron 28-75 | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

ceegee
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 01, 2010 09:33 |  #8

When we go to the beach, the lens that stays pretty much glued to the camera is my longer zoom. I would say 90% of my beach vacation images are taken with that lens. So I vote for the 70-200.

Gear: Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Canon 24-105L f4, Canon 70-300L, Canon 60 macro f/2.8, Speedlite 580 EXII, 2x AB800

Website (external link)

westernminnguy
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 01, 2010 09:42 |  #9

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #10281561 (external link)
Well, I'm not wanting a new camera, just to rent a lens. Not taking under water shots, just want some good, memories of my family. Thanks for the suggestion.

It was hard to tell from your post how close to water/sand etc that you would be.

If it were me bring my 7D, most likely I would have my 24-105 and 70-200 IS. But then I'm not very interested in taking my 7D to a beach...little bit too much sand and water possibilities for problems.

Good luck.

IMAGES (external link)

VIDEO YouTube (external link)

VIDEO Vimeo (external link)

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 01, 2010 09:53 |  #10

cubangixxer wrote in post #10281643 (external link)
My recommendation isn't on the lens ... its to find a better beach to take your family to. Galveston is kinda nasty ... I have lived 45 mins away from Galveston for the last 10 years, and I've been to the beach twice just to hang out ... one of those times was just to photograph the destruction cause by hurricane Ike.
If possible, go down a little further to Corpus Christi or South Padre Island ... huge difference in beach quality! Not to mention some nicer photos!

lol...yeah I've been to it before too, its not an exotic beach by any means, but we aren't there for that. We did rent a beach house and we'll do some Galveston stuff, the beach is just there to play around with the kids a little bit.

We'll do some fishing too etc...it wasn't my choice, my wife and her mom set this all up, I'm just going along for the ride and will capture some pics. One of these days when my son is older we'll go to a nicer beach.

HeleneD
Goldmember
1,822 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 01, 2010 09:55 |  #11

I would go with the 70-200. With the 24-70, this should compliment it nicely. Enjoy your vacation.

Canon 5D3
35L, 85L, 24-70L, 70-200L
FACEBOOK (external link)
flickr (external link)
WEBSITE (external link)

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 01, 2010 09:58 |  #12

I'm surprised at all the PRIME users here who are suggesting me use the 70-200, guess there is a reason its one of Canon's most popular lenses.

JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember
2,440 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 01, 2010 10:07 |  #13

For the beach I would suggest the 70-200mm.

You can photograph on a distance and it complements nicely with your 24-70mm.

-Jelle l Gear l Website (external link) l

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 01, 2010 10:26 |  #14

Well, you already have up to the 24-70 range covered, and on a full frame 24mm is pretty wide. So my recommendation is either the 70-200 F/4 (not the 2.8 ) L because it's so lightweight, it's weathersealed (in case it drizzles a little) and it's very sharp. Since you'll be taking so many outdoor shots, why bother with the 70-200 2.8? It's twice as heavy (and cost more to rent).

But what I really think you should rent is the 100-400L. It's such a great lens. Granted it's worthless indoors if you are shooting anything that moves even a little, but outdoors it's amazing, especially if you stop it to 7.1. That's the magic number on that lens. It'll come out super sharp, good colors, and it can bokeh really well too.

Imagine how much cool stuff you can get with 400mm. You can get the oil tankers coming in (and crazy as this sounds, there are actually surfers who sometimes ride the waves created by the oil tankers...I kid you not...rent the film "Stepping Into Liquid" for footage of those guys in Gavelston riding tanker swells). With 400mm you can also get good shots of the ladies on the beach.

And I'm so glad you posted this thread, because I am going to the beach as well Saturday, and need to rent a good zoom. I'm either going for the 100-400 or the 70-200 F/4. Woohoo. Thanks for the reminder. I need to get online quickly and rent a lens.

Thank you. bw!

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 01, 2010 10:51 |  #15

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #10281916 (external link)
Well, you already have up to the 24-70 range covered, and on a full frame 24mm is pretty wide. So my recommendation is either the 70-200 F/4 (not the 2.8 ) L because it's so lightweight, it's weathersealed (in case it drizzles a little) and it's very sharp. Since you'll be taking so many outdoor shots, why bother with the 70-200 2.8? It's twice as heavy (and cost more to rent).

But what I really think you should rent is the 100-400L. It's such a great lens. Granted it's worthless indoors if you are shooting anything that moves even a little, but outdoors it's amazing, especially if you stop it to 7.1. That's the magic number on that lens. It'll come out super sharp, good colors, and it can bokeh really well too.

Imagine how much cool stuff you can get with 400mm. You can get the oil tankers coming in (and crazy as this sounds, there are actually surfers who sometimes ride the waves created by the oil tankers...I kid you not...rent the film "Stepping Into Liquid" for footage of those guys in Gavelston riding tanker swells). With 400mm you can also get good shots of the ladies on the beach.

And I'm so glad you posted this thread, because I am going to the beach as well Saturday, and need to rent a good zoom. I'm either going for the 100-400 or the 70-200 F/4. Woohoo. Thanks for the reminder. I need to get online quickly and rent a lens.

I like your advice on the f/4 lens, but that reminds me I might be able to borrow one of those from my wife's uncle who owns it, and not pay a cent! Very logical thinking though, outdoors, who needs 2.8?

sponsored links

4,550 views & 0 likes for this thread
Beach Vacation, Lens Rental Question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.