Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 Jun 2010 (Tuesday) 23:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens Question - Canon EF-S 17-85 IS vs 18-55 IS

desai99
80 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 01, 2010 23:50 |  #1

Typicallys reviews knock the 17-85mm IS while most reviews say the 18-55mm IS is worth it for the for the price. Now that 17-85/used has came down significantly i am trying to figure out if there is a significant degradation in image quality. the reviews didn;t seem to give an answer. I am not concerned about lens build quality since i a very casual photographer.

sponsored links
bokchoi
167 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 02, 2010 01:53 |  #2

The image quality differences between these two lenses is actually not too definitive, but most people agree that the 17-85mm does not deliver image quality proportional to its retail price, while the 18-55mm IS delivers better image quality than you would expect for what it costs.

The 17-85mm's main advantage over the 18-55mm is the extra 30mm on the long end and improved build quality. If build quality is not at all an issue, then on the used market you are paying roughly a $200 premium for extra reach, a more usable focus ring, a distance meter, and much more weight.

I personally do not think the 17-85's qualities are worth the extra $200 over the 18-55 IS. There are also some excellent 3rd party alternatives such as the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 in the same price range as the 17-85, so you do have some choices in balancing build quality, features, image quality, and price.

botw
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 02, 2010 14:35 |  #3

Better range, greater weight for the 17-85. Since I use the 18-55 as a beater/travel lens on my 40D, the 17-85 would definitely not be worth it.

For most though, the 17-85 is plenty of lens and many appreciate that extra zoom. My neighbor loves his. Unless you are shooting a lot of straight lines at the wide end (where the 17-85 has more distortion that you might then notice), the 17-85 should suit you fine.

www.gc5photography.com (external link)

Max ­ F
157 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 02, 2010 15:52 |  #4

I love my 17-85. Its very sharp and great walk around lens. I use a prime indoors. Don't let other discourage you, its a very good lens. Its only "real" weakness is the barrel distortion at 17mm and the purple fringing, both which can be easily corrected with DPP. I don't even correct the barrel distortion unless its a picture of a sky scrapper or something with straight lines.

Get it used! Prices should be very good now that the new 15-85 is out. Maybe even find it cheaper than a new 18-55mm. I would hate to be stuck within that mm range. 17 is perfect for landscape and 85mm makes for a nice portrait.

flickr (external link)

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 02, 2010 16:07 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Save your money and go for 17-50 Tamron instead. It has a fast 2.8 aperture, but focusing lacks USM-type speed.

Gear | My gear is changing faster than I can update the signature
VoyageEyewear (external link)

botw
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 02, 2010 16:55 |  #6

17-50 is probably a better lens but is more expensive. I've seen 17-85's going for around $300 these days. No way you will get one from anyone remotely knowledgeable for the price of an 18-55. Get the lens you want and if you ever want to start experimenting with wider apertures, pick up a fast prime.

www.gc5photography.com (external link)

desai99
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 03, 2010 20:59 |  #7

Thats for the advice.

I currently have a Sigma 24-60mm F2.8. While it is very sharp and i am pretty happy i miss the lack of IS as well as the fact the focus hunts a bit before locking(probably a side-effect of 3rd party reverse engineering limitation).

sponsored links

1,631 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens Question - Canon EF-S 17-85 IS vs 18-55 IS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.