Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Jun 2010 (Wednesday) 14:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

lens cleaning help

Octowl
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 02, 2010 14:47 |  #1

how do you clean your lenses? what equipment?

i have smears/streaks on most of the front glass elements. finger prints, or a few water drops that i tried to smear off with my fingers and made worse and or greasy fingers touching it on accident, used a shirt once and q-tips lightly with light water on it. i want to see if there is anything wrong with my lenses (scratches) how do you know if you have a scratch on the front glass element once its clean and how do you see hair line scratches? (hoping i don't have any).

what do yall reccomend for cleaning the element of smudges, smears, dust?

PS: i had done all that "noob" cleaning back in the day and haven't cleaned it since i came on this forum and found out most of the things i did wasnt good for the lens so ive been very scared, especially for my more expensive glass. i would just like to be able to sleep at night knowing its not to late for me lol.

thanks in advance

My name is Daniel and I'm a Graphic Designer, but my passion is Photography
Canon EOS 60D | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 580EX II | D-Lite-4 IT | Glidecam HD2000
Full Gear List | flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

sponsored links
kinghong1970
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 02, 2010 14:49 |  #2

lenspen? (external link)

Albert the Clumsy Ape
GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET (external link) | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N

Octowl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 02, 2010 14:51 |  #3

it has solution inside the pen to get the grease off the lens? or is that one side a soft tiny pad to wipe clean and the other a brush to wipe dust off?

also is it safe to use on the back glass of your lens (the one that screws inside when attaching to a body?)

Canon EOS 60D | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 580EX II | D-Lite-4 IT | Glidecam HD2000

kinghong1970
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 02, 2010 14:52 |  #4

well, i purchased the "promaster" version of it... it says it's got a solution in there... did not really see any "wetting" of the lenses when i used it... nor did i touch it to feel...

but it did get rid of smudges and oil stains on the front element...

Albert the Clumsy Ape
GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET (external link) | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N

Octowl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 02, 2010 14:55 |  #5

thanks! so it doesn't matter what brand correct? there isn't one better then the other?

jp129
294 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 02, 2010 14:56 |  #6

Since it's come down to smudges, smears, and grease, you can fog up the element with your breath and gently wipe it down with a soft microfiber cloth in circular motion. Try to use different parts of the cloth after a few passes, rather then the same spot.

For future reference, if it's just dust, use a rocket blower. If fingerprints or smudges don't degrade the IQ, just leave it alone.

DRIVER > GLASS > BODY

Octowl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 02, 2010 15:00 |  #7

i called a camera store in my area they have lenspen, microfiber cloths, and rocket blowers, should i buy one of each?

honestly with all the crap on my lens i cant really tell a difference (maybe because im so used to it or because i rarely use them) thanks for all the help guys and just to clear things up i tried doing a quick search on cleaning and didn't find one quit like i wanted nor did i want to revive a dead thread..haha cheers! any other suggestions/tips are always welcome!

markol
841 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 02, 2010 15:01 |  #8

compressed air first, then microfiber cloth second. Fluid possibly third but not always.

www.borrowlenses.com (external link)

kinghong1970
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 02, 2010 15:02 |  #9

seems that there are many brands but from quick look at B&H site, it all looks like the same item, rebranded...

as for jp's suggestion... +1... i keep a bit of microfiber cloths around (like those from glasses shops) and also ask my glasses shops for some as well...

of course, being from textile background, i look for the nicer microfiber suedes... hehehe...

iirc, the cloth from radtech (external link) or even the shaggymac (external link)screen protectors are very nice quality of suede/peach microfiber... it's just a crime, what they charge for it...

Albert the Clumsy Ape

jp129
294 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 02, 2010 15:02 |  #10

I think those 3 things are pretty essential to any photographer, so I would suggest that you should buy them. Just take a quick peek at online prices vs the local camera shop. I have found that my local shops here have ridiculous prices compared to reputable online vendors like BH.

DRIVER > GLASS > BODY

kinghong1970
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 02, 2010 15:03 |  #11

markol wrote in post #10290178 (external link)
compressed air first, then microfiber cloth second. Fluid possibly third but not always.

really?

i thought compressed air is almost unnecessary? wouldn't it do more harm by shoving dust all over the crevices?

imo just rocketblower and microfiber?

but i guess it would depend on the situation...

Albert the Clumsy Ape

Octowl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 02, 2010 15:04 |  #12

kinghong1970 wrote in post #10290180 (external link)
seems that there are many brands but from quick look at B&H site, it all looks like the same item, rebranded...

yeah when i called this place called "wolf camera" the nice employee told me basically brands dont matter they all practically the same pen just with a different name, he just advised me not to buy a cheap 2 dollar one, and maybe a NIKON lenspen that might be a few bucks more then the rest. but the one he has at his store is 8 bucks.

PS: do you throw away the micro fiber clothes ever? after a few months, after you've used every inch of the cloth? or is it safe to just buy one and keep for years?

jp129
294 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 02, 2010 15:05 |  #13

markol wrote in post #10290178 (external link)

I am sure he meant the rocket blower, but just to be 100% certain, you should not used canned air on photo equipment. A lot of the canned airs contain chemicals that may damage the optical coatings. A rocket blower is what you should use for those instances.

DRIVER > GLASS > BODY

kinghong1970
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 02, 2010 15:06 |  #14

that seems about right... local shops do tend to charge more than online... but pro and con's to buying local... it is instant versus waiting...

and that fingerprint and smudge on your lens is damned annoying, eh? lol...

Albert the Clumsy Ape

Octowl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 02, 2010 15:09 |  #15

if you want me to be brutally honest ive lost hours of sleep over the fact that i go to bed with dirty lenses and NEVER knowing if one of my lenses has scratches on it and for months ive been wanting to know (id hate to have a 800dollar lens with scratches, id cry)

sponsored links

3,864 views & 0 likes for this thread
lens cleaning help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.