Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Jun 2010 (Wednesday) 14:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

lens cleaning help

jp129
294 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 02, 2010 15:09 |  #16

As for cleaning solutions, be very careful on which solution you use since there are so many out there. Do lots of research before you buy them. I heard lots of good reviews on the Zeiss cleaning solutions, but have no experience. I avoid any cleaning solution besides my breath. I just don't want to take the chance. I'd rather send it to CPS and let them deal with it. I am glad it's never gotten to that point though, as I use UV filters.

I think you're fine. The optical coatings on those lenses are actually very very tough. Not to say you should go bananas on it, but it's A LOT tougher than you think. It's just chemicals that I am worried about.

About your microfiber life span question, I just throw it in the washer whenever I feel like it's dirtier than I'm comfortable with. You just want to avoid the accumulated crud that's on the cloth so you don't rub it against the lens surface.

DRIVER > GLASS > BODY

sponsored links
kinghong1970
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 02, 2010 15:12 |  #17

jp129 wrote in post #10290218 (external link)
As for cleaning solutions, be very careful on which solution you use since there are so many out there. Do lots of research before you buy them. I heard lots of good reviews on the Zeiss cleaning solutions, but have no experience. I avoid any cleaning solution besides my breath. I just don't want to take the chance. I'd rather send it to CPS and let them deal with it. I am glad it's never gotten to that point though, as I use UV filters.

ah, let me clarify, just in case, those 2 sites i linked are for the microfiber cloths... i have not and probably will not use the cleaning solutions on my lenses...

i was just commenting on the quality of the microfiber density and the suede/peaching process on the fabrics.

/phew!

:D

Albert the Clumsy Ape
GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET (external link) | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N

Octowl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 02, 2010 15:16 |  #18

much appreciated. im wanting to get UV filters for my lenses so i wont have to worry about messing up and cleaning my lenses id much rather clean my filters and if for some reason they get messed up its alot cheaper replacing a filter then a lens.

what is a normal price for UV filters?
id need:
58mm for my 18-55mm, and 75-300mm
52mm for my 50mm
77mm for my 10-22mm
and whatever filter size my 85mm f1.8 prime uses (it doesn't say on the lens while the rest do is this normal)?

My name is Daniel and I'm a Graphic Designer, but my passion is Photography
Canon EOS 60D | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 580EX II | D-Lite-4 IT | Glidecam HD2000
Full Gear List | flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jun 02, 2010 15:16 |  #19

A squeeze-bulb blower such as a Rocket Blower by Giottos, quality lens tissue (such as that sold by Kodak and now Tiffen), a good lens cleaning fluid, and PROPER TECHNIQUE is the way that I have cleaned my lenses for decades.

What is "proper technique"?

First - the goal is to clean the lens (or filter - I would use the very same process) without grinding any dirt/debris into the lens. To me, this absolutely dictates single-use surfaces for anything that touches the lens. That's why I use lens tissues instead of a washable cloth or - particularly - something like a lens pen.

Here are the steps that I use to clean a lens:

1. Use a squeeze-bulb blower to blow any loose dust off the lens. 90% of the time, step 1 is all that is necessary.

2. Take a lens tissue out of the pack. Fold it once, holding only what was the ends of the tissue. You want to be extremely careful to NEVER TOUCH the areas of the lens tissue that will be touching the lens. This will avoid transferring oils from your fingers to the lens.

3. Moisten the folded portion of the lens tissue with a little lens cleaner. You don't want the tissue dripping wet, but it must be damp.

CAUTION: NEVER apply lens cleaner directly to the lens (though it won’t hurt a filter, you don’t want liquid leaking into the lens’ innards).

4. Wipe LIGHTLY across the lens ONCE with the damp tissue. Then either turn it over or fold it so that you can wipe again, but with an unused surface. You can do this as often as needed, as long as you never wipe the lens twice with any surface of the tissue. This prevents scratches. Again, make sure you never touch an area of the tissue that will touch the lens.

5. Ensuring that the lens is actually clean, use a dry tissue, handled the same way as above, to wipe the lens dry. Since you have already removed the dirt, there's no risk of scratching the lens with the dry tissue.

6. Dispose of the used lens tissues in a proper trash receptacle.

That's it in a nutshell. Simple and effective. I've been cleaning my lenses this way for over 40 years, and all of them have pristine glass (and none have ever worn "protective" filters).

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

jp129
294 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 02, 2010 15:17 |  #20

kinghong1970 wrote in post #10290236 (external link)
ah, let me clarify, just in case, those 2 sites i linked are for the microfiber cloths... i have not and probably will not use the cleaning solutions on my lenses...

i was just commenting on the quality of the microfiber density and the suede/peaching process on the fabrics.

/phew!

:D

Definitely. I feel there are different qualities in microfiber as well. I just choose ones that feel very soft to the touch, not sure if that's the right way or not.

DRIVER > GLASS > BODY

jp129
294 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 02, 2010 15:20 |  #21

ATXsouljah wrote in post #10290259 (external link)
much appreciated. im wanting to get UV filters for my lenses so i wont have to worry about messing up and cleaning my lenses id much rather clean my filters and if for some reason they get messed up its alot cheaper replacing a filter then a lens.

what is a normal price for UV filters?
id need:
58mm for my 18-55mm, and 75-300mm
52mm for my 50mm
77mm for my 10-22mm
and whatever filter size my 85mm f1.8 prime uses (it doesn't say on the lens while the rest do is this normal)?

Filter's are another monster to tackle. There are so many brands to choose from, then different levels of "performance" within that brand.

For me, I use Hoya HMC UV filters for my lenses. My personal tests show no degradation in IQ.

I referred to this site when I was doing my research. But with any internet source, you should take it with a grain of salt. It just so happens that my results were similar to theirs, I am not saying it is the end all test.

http://www.lenstip.com …rs_test_Introdu​ction.html (external link)

B+W have had wonderful praises as well, but do not seem like a cost effective solution at the time. I have 5 lenses, so I cannot afford to slap 150 filters on each one! If my Hoya HMC's don't have IQ degradation, that'll work just fine for me.

DRIVER > GLASS > BODY

Octowl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 02, 2010 15:23 |  #22

thanks, do you know what the size for my 85mm prime is? i cant find it on the lens body itself. like the rest.

@skip... thanks for the write up!

Canon EOS 60D | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 580EX II | D-Lite-4 IT | Glidecam HD2000

jp129
294 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 02, 2010 15:25 |  #23

Is it the EF 85mm f/1.8? If so, it takes 58mm filters. If you have the 85L f/1.2, then those take 72mm filters.

DRIVER > GLASS > BODY

Octowl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 02, 2010 15:28 |  #24

thanks, and its not same with my 75-300 the front glass element is so big it doesnt have a black ring around the glass with white words saying 85mm f1.8...and 58mm but the rest do

here is a picture i took of my 85mm see it doesnt have words on it:

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4619399314_0a1f36f4f3_b.jpg
nor along the top side of the lens

markol
841 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 02, 2010 15:44 |  #25

jp129 wrote in post #10290194 (external link)
I am sure he meant the rocket blower, but just to be 100% certain, you should not used canned air on photo equipment. A lot of the canned airs contain chemicals that may damage the optical coatings. A rocket blower is what you should use for those instances.

We use compressed air from a generator. NOT from a can. I should have made that more clear. Nobody should use canned air for cleaning gear EVER.

Rocket blower is the appropriate tool :)

www.borrowlenses.com (external link)

jp129
294 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 02, 2010 15:45 |  #26

markol wrote in post #10290440 (external link)
We use compressed air from a generator. NOT from a can. I should have made that more clear. Nobody should use canned air for cleaning gear EVER.

Rocket blower is the appropriate tool :)

Do you use a moisture separator or inline filter to filter out the compressed air? I find my air compressors output some pretty nasty air without some sort of filtration. Don't know how else to make it cleaner, do you have suggestions?

I am sure you have a good bit of experience with lenses seeing as you get lenses back and fourth all day long!

DRIVER > GLASS > BODY

Octowl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 02, 2010 15:46 |  #27

http://www.wise4living​.com …/electric_leaf_​blower.jpg (external link)
so not one of these? ;-)a

jp129
294 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 02, 2010 15:48 |  #28

LOL. Gas or electric? I think that would determine your outcome...:cool:

DRIVER > GLASS > BODY

Octowl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 02, 2010 15:50 |  #29

i can clean a whole batch of sensors/lenses with that bad boy! time is money! i like electric

kinghong1970
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 02, 2010 15:53 |  #30

hahaha...

but i have to say, i'm quite fond of Echo or Stihl...
thems suckers got enough power to blow the leaves off my roof...

Albert the Clumsy Ape
GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET (external link) | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N

sponsored links

3,892 views & 0 likes for this thread
lens cleaning help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.