Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Jun 2010 (Wednesday) 14:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

lens cleaning help

jp129
294 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 02, 2010 15:57 |  #31

ATXsouljah wrote in post #10290484 (external link)
i can clean a whole batch of sensors/lenses with that bad boy! time is money! i like electric

We're just fools. That's probably how it's done at CPS...LOL

DRIVER > GLASS > BODY

sponsored links
Shultz
Lucky 13
392 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 02, 2010 16:38 |  #32

I use a rocket blower followed by PecPads/Eclipse fluid if needed

Shelton.

http://www.onebriefmom​ent.co.uk (external link)
7D ~ 17-55 f2.8 EF-S ~ 100mm f2.8 Macro ~ 50mm MK I ~ Sigma 100-300 f4 APO EX DG ~ TC x1.4 ~ Man 055XPROB & 488RC2 ~ NISSIN Di622

markol
841 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 02, 2010 17:06 |  #33

ATXsouljah wrote in post #10290299 (external link)
thanks, do you know what the size for my 85mm prime is? i cant find it on the lens body itself. like the rest.

@skip... thanks for the write up!

FWIW, if you remove the lens cap it states the filter size on the back of it.

www.borrowlenses.com (external link)

Octowl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 02, 2010 22:00 |  #34

IMAGE: http://i48.tinypic.com/fng6jp.jpg
this is what a bought at my local camera store, they had some nice equiptment just not a single canon anything but DVDs and books for your canon camera (weird). so i bought a Quantaray Digital Hurricane Blower for $8, Digipower Digital Camera Lens and Screen Cleaner (100% microfiber-etra soft fabric for drlicate did they mean delicate? surfaces) for $5, and a Sunpak lenspen lens cleaner for $8. did i buy the wrong stuff, also for the price did i get ripped, should i return and buy online a cheaper and better quality?

PS: why is the bottom of the image dark? is it because i was close to the sheet/background in low light? used a 18-55 and 580exii on complete auto.

My name is Daniel and I'm a Graphic Designer, but my passion is Photography
Canon EOS 60D | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 580EX II | D-Lite-4 IT | Glidecam HD2000
Full Gear List | flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

kinghong1970
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 02, 2010 22:29 |  #35

ATXsouljah wrote in post #10292559 (external link)
...(100% microfiber-etra soft fabric for drlicate did they mean delicate? surfaces) for $5,...

uh oh bro... i'd go and check that against a Chinglish or Konglish or even Engrish dictionary and make sure...

:P

hahaha

Albert the Clumsy Ape
GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET (external link) | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N

Octowl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 02, 2010 22:42 |  #36

:lol: is it safe to open the items and start to clean? i just wanted conformation because no one wants to return stuff if its open...kinda lame (because i would have used it job done and they would think im a cheap bast*** and not take it back..)

Canon EOS 60D | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 580EX II | D-Lite-4 IT | Glidecam HD2000

JayStar86
Goldmember
3,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 02, 2010 22:51 |  #37

i bought a rocket blower and lens pen myself a week ago... combination of both of them worked like a charm to clean my lenses front element. The rocket blower even got 90% of the dust on the sensor of my 5D.

IMHO if you dont abuse your lenses I think the lens pen is all you should need for direct contact to lens solution sort of thing.

---Jay---
Gear and Feedback
flikr (external link)

rjx
Goldmember
2,670 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 03, 2010 00:24 |  #38

Shultz wrote in post #10290768 (external link)
I use a rocket blower followed by PecPads/Eclipse fluid if needed

Shelton.

This is pretty much what I was going to recommend.

First I would use a rocket blower made by Giottos to blow away any dust, lint, hair, etc.

If trying to remove marks, such as finger prints or smudges, the lenspen is excellent! Make sure it's the original ... there are a lot of copycats .. http://www.lenspen.com …products_id=LP-1&tpid=146 (external link)

If you're lens is dirty, use pec pads with eclipse lens cleaner. I use pec pads, but I have not used the eclipse cleaner since I purchased the wrong cleaner. I have heard nothing but really good things about this cleaner.
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Optic_Lens_Cle​aning.html (external link)

I wouldn't use a micro fiber cloth because it's reusable and hard micro debris that could scratch the lens glass can get embedded in the cloth from washing, or even using once. Generally you want to use the wipe once, then throw it away. To be even safer, use the wipe on the glass in one pass, then throw it away. If you need to make a 2nd or 3rd pass, you would then use a 2nd and 3rd wipe (pec pad). Something small and harmful to the glass can get stuck in micro fiber, or a used wipe and then you are just wiping that around on the glass. Better safe than sorry imo.

A rocket blower and lens pen will hopefully be all you need, most of the time.

"It doesn't matter what camera you have if your photography has nothing worthwhile to say"
“Photos are everywhere. You just have to know how to look.”

Crop ­ Shop
175 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 03, 2010 00:29 |  #39
bannedPermanent ban

I do likewise.

Octowl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 03, 2010 00:47 |  #40

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …o_Wipes_.html#a​ccessories (external link)
these pec pads?

rjx
Goldmember
2,670 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 03, 2010 01:02 |  #41

Those are the ones I am talking about :)

"It doesn't matter what camera you have if your photography has nothing worthwhile to say"
“Photos are everywhere. You just have to know how to look.”

Octowl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 03, 2010 01:06 |  #42

sweet thanks, i cleaned my lenses and they make me happy just thinking about them. once i have some extra cash i might get better quality stuff or at least what you are preferring.

RetroBlader
863 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 03, 2010 01:09 |  #43

ATXsouljah wrote in post #10290216 (external link)
ive lost hours of sleep over the fact that i go to bed with dirty lenses and NEVER knowing if one of my lenses has scratches on it and for months ive been wanting to know (id hate to have a 800dollar lens with scratches, id cry)

It takes a lot more than a few scratches to affect image quality:

http://www.lensrentals​.com …0/front-element-scratches (external link)

However, if you are that worried about scratching up your front element, maybe a clear/UV filter will help you sleep better at night, especially one of the newer ultra-tough filters:

http://reviews.photogr​aphyreview.com …tructable-hoya-hd-filter/ (external link)
http://www.hoyafilter.​com/products/hoya/HD-01.html (external link)

:cool:

Above water: 7D | 400D | 10-22 | 17-55IS | 15-85IS | 85/1.8 | 100L IS | 70-200/4L IS | 70-300IS | 100-400L | 580EX II
Underwater: S95 + WP-DC38 + dual dive lights | Olympus OM-D E-M5 (await housing)
Full Gear List
Need/Want: More time for photography (And some talent would be nice.... :lol:)

Octowl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 03, 2010 01:13 |  #44

i will hibernate knowing my element wont break/crack with steel balls falling on my filter at 50inchs off the ground...although on a lens the steel balls will keep the filter in tact and crack the lens. were is my lens armor?! ;-)a

HOYA HD or B+W MRC?

JayStar86
Goldmember
3,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 03, 2010 01:29 |  #45

b+w^^^

---Jay---
Gear and Feedback
flikr (external link)

sponsored links

3,898 views & 0 likes for this thread
lens cleaning help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.