Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 02 Jun 2010 (Wednesday) 15:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Spyder 3 Pro Not Accurate with Led Monitors?

squaresnappr
278 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 02, 2010 15:10 |  #1

To the pros out there, I was informed recently that the Spyder 3 Pro is not accurate with LED monitors. I was quite dissappointed when I heard this and was rest assured by a Data color rep that it was totally fine with LED monitors. Now on another forum, I was told that it is not accurate at all. Here an expert is suggesting:

I asked Kal the guru at CurtPalme and got this info back...
Quote:
Hi Andrew,

Yes, the Spyder3 will have accuracy issues with any LED backlit monitor (it does not matter if it is a edgelit, backlit or backlit RGB).

The least expensive meters that can and do work correctly with LED displays are the DTP-94, Chroma 5 and ColorMunki that has been specially backlit LED calibrated for use with CalMAN (see X-Rite DTP94 (Monaco Optix) Colorimeter with CalMAN ). The EyeOne Pro is also good choice for only a little more if you wish to remain somewhat future proof and ensure accuracy when calibrating LED backlit displays.

So is it true that it has accuracy issues with LED Monitors. What would you guys recommend getting. I don't know who to believe.

My Gear
http://www.solofotogra​phy.com (external link)
http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1896508 (external link)

sponsored links
ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 02, 2010 15:35 |  #2

So you have an LED monitor and your Spyder3 Pro is not working properly with it?

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

pip ­ boogaloo
237 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 02, 2010 15:51 as a reply to  @ ChasP505's post |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

what monitor do you have
typically high end led lit monitors have an even wider gamut
. datacolor state the spyder 3 is state of art with the means to tackle led and many others in its stride

they quote

New Support for Next Generation Displays
Patented Spyder3 optical design and color engine enable precise calibration and profiling of the latest in wide gamut, LED backlight and AdobeRGB displays.

i have a dell U2711 wide gamut, it is cold cathode tube lit, and it seems the spyder 3 is deficient in even measuring that !! (unless my last 2 spyder 3's have been defective - awaiting response from datacolour)

now i am a long time datacolor user having migrated from earlier kit to the latest studio sr.
i love the printer calibration. it is excellent.
the screen calibration is not so good with my new monitor, it has great neutrality, but there is visible shifts in the green/yellow because the spyder seems incapable of recording the green accurately

'i just ate a Nikonian'

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 02, 2010 16:11 as a reply to  @ pip boogaloo's post |  #4

I'm wondering why this is a concern. Do you now have or were you planning on getting an LED monitor? The Spyder3 device is a throw away gizmo compared to most other devices and accessories in our photographic kit... So if you're convinced it cannot be accurate, just sell it and get something else.

OTOH... I recently read that NEC recommends either their own specially tuned X-Rite sensors OR a Spyder3 sensor for use with their Spectravision II monitors.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

squaresnappr
THREAD ­ STARTER
278 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 02, 2010 16:12 |  #5

ChasP505 wrote in post #10290382 (external link)
So you have an LED monitor and your Spyder3 Pro is not working properly with it?

Hi Chas, I am no expert but my pictures is coming out fine with my printer but I just want to make sure that the spyder 3 pro is accurate with My Apple Cinema Display LED 24. I was told on another forum that I should not be using this calibrator with my monitor. That the Spyder 3 pro is not accurate with all LED monitors.

Here is another response:
Yes, a Spyder3 is “compatible” with LED backlit technologies. “Compatible” simply means it works. That doesn’t mean it’s as accurate as it can be.

DataColor will likely also say that all their meters are very accurate too with any display but one has to only purchase a few and try them out on the same display to see how there’s discrepancies between different units. Spyder3 meters are not calibrated at the factory so it’s a bit of a crapshoot as to what you get. Our SpectraCal partner used to buy them in batches of 50 and then weed out the bad ones and destroy/recycle them at a loss. Only the good ones were sold on our site. Believe me, if they were all accurate we wouldn’t have been throwing good money away like this!

What discussion boards?

I would post your question here: Display Calibration - AVS Forum

It’s by far the most useful calibration forum. (I go by user ‘kal’).

It’s fairly common knowledge that most colorimeters need tweaking or offset tables to work correctly with LED. This is why all of the major companies selling calibration software do the extra work of creating these offset tables.

Give my “FAQ: Which meter is right for me?” a read too. It contains a lot of summary information on many of the popular meters out there. It’s here: FAQ: Which meter is right for me?

Kal
CurtPalme.com Home Theater sales, calibration, service, and discussion forum Home Theater

I emailed Data Color and they said its compatible with all LED monitors but I want to make sure I am using the right equipment with my monitor. If not would I see a big improvement if I purchased an Eye One 2? As pip boogaloo is saying for him the green is not recording accurately. Just really confused.

My Gear

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 02, 2010 16:49 as a reply to  @ squaresnappr's post |  #6

Being in sales most of my life, I think this "source" is trying to sell something. But yes, I believe some calibration devices probably work better with some monitors and not so good with others. Like I said... At $150, it's a disposable device compared to most other equipment, such as L lenses or 5D Mk 11 bodies....

http://www.curtpalme.c​om/DTP94.shtm (external link)

I like my DTP-94.

Chas P

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 02, 2010 17:02 |  #7

I use a Spyder3 elite with my HP 22" LCD monitor and my prints are great compared to before I calibrated it.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

pip ­ boogaloo
237 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 02, 2010 17:55 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

as mike says - the results will be better than not using one.
but as a spyder user, knowing what i know after exhaustive testing and making it my lifes work recently :) and analyzing other profiles from other users with identical monitor setups. i can say its far from perfect with bad greens and yellows especially as they become more saturated.
i am going to end up buying another device. i was contemplating sending all this studio kit back, but to be frank, i find the printer profiling spectro colorimeter excellent, so it means i will shelve the spyder 3 dongle and probably look to lacie, or i1d2 or dtp94, i am still undecided.

my current compromised setup with my spyder 3 is i half used the software to set the white point to 6500k through using it to set the RGB sliders, and that seems good to me eye. then i exit the program and install a 3rd party profile from tftcentral.co.uk and installed that.
i can say even though the profile was made on another dell u2711 - the colour accuracy is still far superior to that of my spyder 3 doing a full calibration !

waiting to hear from c d tobie at datacolor......

'i just ate a Nikonian'

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 02, 2010 18:03 |  #9

pip boogaloo wrote in post #10291233 (external link)
...waiting to hear from c d tobie at datacolor......

Don't hold your breath... I think with some tech support personnel, they either answer quickly or not at all. I always got the most satisfaction from calling direct. Or... tossing the Spyder in the trash.

Chas P

pip ­ boogaloo
237 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 02, 2010 18:07 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

well its nearly 6 weeks, and i have just checked - my datacolor ticket status has now escalated to wait for it.....drum roll......... 'red hot'

im pleased i havent been left hanging by the balls for the time its taken, but even so i still have not had a reply - go figure lol

'i just ate a Nikonian'

squaresnappr
THREAD ­ STARTER
278 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 02, 2010 18:41 |  #11

ChasP505 wrote in post #10290850 (external link)
Being in sales most of my life, I think this "source" is trying to sell something. But yes, I believe some calibration devices probably work better with some monitors and not so good with others. Like I said... At $150, it's a disposable device compared to most other equipment, such as L lenses or 5D Mk 11 bodies....

http://www.curtpalme.c​om/DTP94.shtm (external link)

I like my DTP-94.

Thank you Chas, I am gonna try the eye one display 2 but if I don't like it. I could always return it. You have a very expensive calibrator and I just don't have the money for one but I may consider it in the future. I got a response from Datacolor the same day.

My Gear

sponsored links

10,102 views & 0 likes for this thread
Spyder 3 Pro Not Accurate with Led Monitors?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.