Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 02 Jun 2010 (Wednesday) 20:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do I need a model release for this?

Don ­ Komarechka
301 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 02, 2010 20:57 |  #1

Hi everyone,

I glanced over the model release thread, some great advice in there. However I would like some opinions on one photo in particular.

IMAGE: http://don.komarechka.com/images/potn/_MG_9386.jpg

I took this about a week ago down at the waterfront in town here. Some rowers from a local rowing club were out on the lake as the sun was coming up. They are in complete shadow with no unique identifying features. I do not have a model release from the people in this photo. Do I need it?

Canon 5D mark II w/ WFT-E4 IIA, Canon EOS-1n, Canon 24-105mm F/4L IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 50mm F/1.4, Canon 100mm F/2.8 Macro, Canon 15mm F/2.8 Fisheye, Canon MP-E 65mm Macro, Speedlite 580EX II, MR-14EX Macro Ring Lite, and a black mitten
Photo Blog: Don.Komarechka.com (external link)

sponsored links
Skrim17
The only TPBMer without a title. Enjoying my anonymity.
40,070 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 02, 2010 20:58 |  #2

My understanding is if you cannot make out who they are, there is no release needed.

Nice shot.

Crissa
PLEASE HELP ME FIND MY PHOTOS!! (external link)

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,329 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 02, 2010 22:51 as a reply to  @ Skrim17's post |  #3

No.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

jsvphoto
789 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 02, 2010 22:54 |  #4

I'm a novice at this, too, but from everything I've read on the subject, this is a clear-cut "no - no release is necessary."

But take that for what it's worth, coming from me ;o)

Canon 7D Gripped; Canon 7D ii Gripped; Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L; Canon TS-E 24 f/3.5 L; Sigma 85 f/1.4; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; various lights & gizmos

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 03, 2010 00:16 |  #5

definitely NOT

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,370 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jun 03, 2010 05:19 as a reply to  @ MJPhotos24's post |  #6

No, you don't.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,614 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 03, 2010 06:19 |  #7

no
do you mind sharing where you took this from?

Gearlist

Don ­ Komarechka
THREAD ­ STARTER
301 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 03, 2010 06:40 |  #8

Thanks for the responses everyone, and it is the answer I was hoping for!

As for where it was taken, it was taken on Kempenfelt Bay in Barrie, Ontario. (exact location 44° 22′ 28.66″ N, 79° 40′ 50.93″ W ). :)

Canon 5D mark II w/ WFT-E4 IIA, Canon EOS-1n, Canon 24-105mm F/4L IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 50mm F/1.4, Canon 100mm F/2.8 Macro, Canon 15mm F/2.8 Fisheye, Canon MP-E 65mm Macro, Speedlite 580EX II, MR-14EX Macro Ring Lite, and a black mitten

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 03, 2010 11:46 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

This is a great shot! And +1 - no release needed.

Gear | My gear is changing faster than I can update the signature
VoyageEyewear (external link)

BillsBayou
In trouble with my wife
5,023 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Location: New Orleans, La. USA! Favorite Cheese: Caciocavallo Invention: Incendiary Spit-Bomb Wait. What?

Jun 04, 2010 13:20 |  #10

"Do I need a model release?"

This is the answer you should get any time you ask that question:
"What are you planning to do with the photo?"

I'm not an attorney. Find a grain of salt and take it with my advice.

To own the photo, you never need a model release.
To sell copies of the photo, you MAY need a model release for any featured people in the photo. It depends on where the photo was taken and the circumstances surrounding the shot. This particular photo would not fit such a description.
To sell the photo to a newspaper for editorial purposes, you often do not need a model release. This photo would need none.
To use this photo to advertise Ontario, boats, or an inn... No, because these people were not asked/hired by you to row out there. Thus, no one can identify exactly who these people were. If you staged this shot, they'll know that they're in the shot and you should get a release.
To sell this photo, copyright and all, to a stock agency, perhaps... No, but don't "indemnify" the purchaser of the photo against claims.

Take only pictures, leave only footprints...
"Cameras don't shoot people. Photographers shoot people." - Me
I must not break rule GN.4, Please help me un-see that photo, I must not break rule GN.4...
Gear List

RDKirk
13,370 posts
Joined May 2004

Jun 04, 2010 13:27 as a reply to  @ BillsBayou's post |  #11

If you staged this shot, they'll know that they're in the shot and you should get a release.

Not sure about Louisiana, where the law differs fundamentally from other US states, but in other states the court would apply a "reasonable person" standard and determine whether a reasonable person could identify the people in the image.

cstewart
Goldmember
1,866 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 06, 2010 17:37 |  #12

BillsBayou wrote in post #10302729 (external link)
"Do I need a model release?"

This is the answer you should get any time you ask that question:
"What are you planning to do with the photo?"

I'm not an attorney. Find a grain of salt and take it with my advice.

To own the photo, you never need a model release.
To sell copies of the photo, you MAY need a model release for any featured people in the photo. It depends on where the photo was taken and the circumstances surrounding the shot. This particular photo would not fit such a description.
To sell the photo to a newspaper for editorial purposes, you often do not need a model release. This photo would need none.
To use this photo to advertise Ontario, boats, or an inn... No, because these people were not asked/hired by you to row out there. Thus, no one can identify exactly who these people were. If you staged this shot, they'll know that they're in the shot and you should get a release.
To sell this photo, copyright and all, to a stock agency, perhaps... No, but don't "indemnify" the purchaser of the photo against claims.

Just to add to this, I shoot a lot for iStock and they are quite often now requiring model releases for "contextual" situations like this. Even though you did not stage this shot, and even though the people in it can not be identified easily, there is a very slim chance that based on the context, location, activity, etc. they might be able to recognize that it was indeed themselves in the scull. As such, if you would be using this photo for stock or advertising purposes there is a chance that any agency would require a model release just a a CYA policy and to err as much as possible on side of caution. I am guessing you would not need a release but you never know!

Here is a link to iStocks discussion on types of photos that do and don't need releases:

http://www.istockphoto​.com/article_view.php?​ID=648 (external link)

Please Check Out My Work at:
Independent Sports News (external link) -- Sports Shooter (external link) --Web Site (external link) -- Facebook (external link) -- iStockphoto.com (external link)--Twitter (external link)
Gear: 1DX; 1D4; 70D gripped; 40D gripped; ; EFS10-22; EFS 17-55; EF 16-35; EF 135; EF 70-200 II; EF 300; EF 1.4X II Extender, 580 EX II Flash

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 06, 2010 17:40 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

According to that link Istock says you do

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

RDKirk
13,370 posts
Joined May 2004

Jun 06, 2010 17:55 |  #14

Karl Johnston wrote in post #10313694 (external link)
According to that link Istock says you do

Istock needs for him to get the release in order to maximize the commercial sales potential of the image. The need for a release is always a matter of the intended use of the image.

Don ­ Komarechka
THREAD ­ STARTER
301 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 06, 2010 18:26 |  #15

I was contemplating using it for stock, but most likely it will be used in my own portfolio and potentially as a fine art piece.

Thanks very much for the incredibly detailed information you all have been providing!

Oh, and for the record, I did not stage the shot. I did however add the ducks in PP :)

sponsored links

2,726 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do I need a model release for this?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.