Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 03 Jun 2010 (Thursday) 08:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

580 EX II and 430EX II Quick Question

b.d.bop
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 03, 2010 08:21 |  #1

I'm doing some still life / table top work with these flashes, along with PW Plus II's.

After a few minutes the flashes "go to sleep". Then I have to open up my Apollo Softbox or turn around the umbrella so I can get to their controls and hit the pilot light buttons to "wake them up" again.

How do I get around this? I want them to stay awake much longer and be ready for the next shot.

Sorry if this is a naive question. I'm new to off camera flash photography. :p

Dr. Mark Polis 1DsIII | 7D
the Gear Arsenal | flickr (external link) | PBase galleries (external link)

sponsored links
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,265 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 03, 2010 09:10 |  #2

The 580 EX II has a custom function (inside the flash unit), which turns the sleep mode off.
I don't have any 430 EX II, but I'm pretty sure it has the same kind of setting.

But then you'll have to remember to turn them off yourself, or they'll eat your batteries a bit too quickly.

Using Canon's wireless control allows the flashes to go into an energy save mode, from which they can be brougth to active state again by a test flash "wakeup call" from the master. But the data transfer via light has other limitations, of course.

Anders

kayl
412 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 03, 2010 09:19 as a reply to  @ apersson850's post |  #3

Hm-
I use the RF-602 triggers and they are able to wake the flashes up from the sleep state; I'm not sure why your triggers aren't doing the same

Rocking the 6d2 and SL2 and (mostly) the 24-105 f4 L, 50mm f1.8 STM, and 135mm f2 L along with a few others.
All of my Gear
Buy/Sell Feedback

b.d.bop
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 03, 2010 09:25 as a reply to  @ kayl's post |  #4

Thanks, Anders!

@kayl: What would I do to have the Pocket Wizards wake up the flashes? Hit the Test button? That didn't work.

Nightcrawler
685 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 03, 2010 12:12 |  #5

The 430EX has a master/slave switch. Make sure it is in the slave position. It shouldn't go to sleep then.

Edit: Oops, that is for the non-II. I'm sure there is a slave setting somewhere.

Edit 2: I looked in the manual on the Canon site and it says:
Set the 430EX II as the slave unit:
Hold down the ZOOM button for 2 sec or more

Jason - Gear - Site (external link)

Tawcan
Goldmember
2,679 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jun 03, 2010 12:44 |  #6

There's a custom function in both of these flash units to disable sleep.

580EXII - C. Fn -01 Auto power off set to 1 to disable it.

430EX - C. Fn - 00 Auto power off activation set to 1 to disable it.

boblai.com (external link) |Facebook Fanpage (external link) | Flickr (external link)

kayl
412 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 03, 2010 14:35 |  #7

Nightcrawler wrote in post #10295854 (external link)
The 430EX has a master/slave switch. Make sure it is in the slave position. It shouldn't go to sleep then.

Edit: Oops, that is for the non-II. I'm sure there is a slave setting somewhere.

Edit 2: I looked in the manual on the Canon site and it says:
Set the 430EX II as the slave unit:
Hold down the ZOOM button for 2 sec or more

He's using them in manual mode, triggered by pocket wizards - NOT with the canon ETTL mode

Rocking the 6d2 and SL2 and (mostly) the 24-105 f4 L, 50mm f1.8 STM, and 135mm f2 L along with a few others.
All of my Gear
Buy/Sell Feedback

kayl
412 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 03, 2010 14:42 |  #8

b.d.bop wrote in post #10294914 (external link)
Thanks, Anders!

@kayl: What would I do to have the Pocket Wizards wake up the flashes? Hit the Test button? That didn't work.

That's what my guess was - that's what I do- how are you hooking the PW's upto the flashes? PC cables? (w/ an adapter on the 430ex)

All of my Gear
Buy/Sell Feedback

b.d.bop
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 03, 2010 15:24 |  #9

kayl wrote in post #10296800 (external link)
That's what my guess was - that's what I do- how are you hooking the PW's upto the flashes? PC cables? (w/ an adapter on the 430ex)

@Jason and Tawcan: Thanks for the input - appreciated!

@kayl: I'm using FlashZebra's Item #0030 — Screwlock PC to Pocket Wizard from here: http://flashzebra.com/​wizardcables/index.sht​ml (external link) for the 580EX II and the adapter cable Item #0138 — Deluxe Canon Hotshoe to Pocket Wizard for the 430EX II.

I was getting terrible connections using the PC to PW cords supplied with the PW's. The screwlock was an essential. And Lon at FlashZebra's the greatest <-----commercial plug for a great outfit. bw!

genzbenz
628 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 03, 2010 17:00 |  #10

I LOVE Flash Zebra. I'm even happier that they're about 40 minutes from my house ;)

Visit my Facebook Page (external link)
5D III | 5D II | 85L II | 24-70L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 100-400L | 100 2.8 Macro | 50 1.8 II | Tokina 16-28 2.8 | Sigma 15 2.8 FE | Sigma 35 1.4 | 430EX II (x3) | Calumet Genesis lights | YN RF-602 and YN-622c triggers

b.d.bop
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 03, 2010 17:49 |  #11

genzbenz wrote in post #10297625 (external link)
I LOVE Flash Zebra. I'm even happier that they're about 40 minutes from my house ;)

That's just no fair. :D

sponsored links

4,161 views & 0 likes for this thread
580 EX II and 430EX II Quick Question
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.