Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 03 Jun 2010 (Thursday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

430ex II puts images in individual folders?

flyterbut
260 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 03, 2010 18:10 |  #1

I am using my brothers rebel xt until I can afford my own. I'm confused as to when it puts things in new folders and found it's usually whenever i turn off and on the camera and every day. Ever since I got this flash when I go to load the camera stuff it puts each image in its own folder and having to go through hundreds of folders individually isn't going to work for me. Is there a setting I have to change on the camera or flash? Is there another way of loading the images other than plugging it in and opening it like a drive?

Canon Rebel XSi | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links
msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,282 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 03, 2010 19:32 |  #2

That is a camera function and has nothing to do with the flash. You may have accidentally changed the file numbering system from "continuous" to "auto reset" but it sounds like there is something else going on. Do you use a card reader or just hook up the camera to the computer? Check page 67 of your XT manual.

IMAGE: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/msowsun/photo%20stuff/Photo2/_1-26.jpg

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

flyterbut
THREAD ­ STARTER
260 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 03, 2010 20:03 |  #3

It's on continuous still. I don't remove the memory card, ever. I plug the camera into the computer with the usb cord. I noticed it did this first when I went to the zoo and i actually didn't use the flash now that i think about it. I did put it on AV mode for the first time though and used my brothers 70-200mm f/4 L lens which I rarely use. BUT that is the first time I've used the camera since I got the flash and messed with it, so is it just the av mode setting? I didn't use it and had it on M today and it still did pictures in individual folders.

Canon Rebel XSi | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,282 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 03, 2010 20:18 |  #4

It probably has something to do with your computer file system then. Try using a card reader. It downloads much faster, and I think your file folder problem will be solved as well.

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 03, 2010 20:37 |  #5

Use a card reader and windows explorer. Find *.cr2 or *.jpeg and copy them off to one folder.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

flyterbut
THREAD ­ STARTER
260 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 05, 2010 00:47 |  #6

I just found one link on google with someone who had the same camera and the same thing happened, they were told to format the card in the camera and it should work right again so I'll be trying that once I load these pictures. Gotta transfer folder by folder ugh! It's still loading and at 225 so far

swalter
293 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 05, 2010 01:43 |  #7

flyterbut wrote in post #10305841 (external link)
I just found one link on google with someone who had the same camera and the same thing happened, they were told to format the card in the camera and it should work right again so I'll be trying that once I load these pictures. Gotta transfer folder by folder ugh! It's still loading and at 225 so far

From the root folder, just do a search for *.CR2 or *.JPG and then select all and copy/paste onto your hard drive.

http://scwalter.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

flyterbut
THREAD ­ STARTER
260 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 05, 2010 03:00 |  #8

I tried that but it takes forever to even load the folders, I tried the search before they fully loaded as well as after and it just loads until it freezes up.

sarafina
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 17, 2013 21:33 |  #9

flyterbut wrote in post #10305841 (external link)

I had the same problem, tried the reformat exercise and it worked!

Thanks

Sara

sponsored links

1,890 views & 0 likes for this thread
430ex II puts images in individual folders?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.